Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 13 Shocking Facts about Fallout 4 That Will Forever Change the Way You Think about RPGs

Mychkine

Educated
Thanks for this excellent review ! You must really be a dedicated (masochistic?) person to endure 127 hours of such a borked game and write 30 pages about it. It's an interesting discussion on how not to spend a couple dozen millions dollars, that could apply to a lot of so-called AAA products in the video game industry (the last WOW expension suffered from the same bad theme park feeling for instance).

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
l1bVZKI.gif

Someone with more talent than me should update this for Fallout 4 so we can give it to Bubbles.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Star Citizen hates Fallout 4!

Also got a shoutout from The Secret World:

As for Fallout 3 vs. Fallout 4, it's hard to decide which game is worse. The biggest difference between the two games is in environmental variety (FO4 is miles better), but in terms of gameplay and writing it's a close race. FO4 probably wins overall, but not by much.

Last edited:

bloodlover

Arcane
Wow so many people outside of the Codex agree with the review and so few call us nostalgic faggots.

Even so, most probably, the next game will also sell like crazy, even if it will be worse.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not a fan of the title the author chose. Saying something option based as being FACT. No. Just no.

It's meant to be a parody of clickbait titles. As sardonic as the author is, I don't think he's trying to portray his opinion as fact.

If you can't tell parody from the real thing, the parody failed.

:lol:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I read the whole thing, though it's a great example of why the Internet's infinite availability of wordspace is not necessarily a good thing. I long sometimes for the days when I was a magazine editor and could enforce wordcounts.

That being said, yeah, the criticisms are on point. They don't affect me that much because, according to the the writer, I'm a shallow, modern gamer with no taste or discernment, who just likes escapist shoot-em-ups with loot. Guilty as charged I guess. But the review is still amateur hour. It's needlessly condescending, arrogant, and completely avoids any attempt at empathy with other viewpoints. It's also, as noted, way too long, and the set up--the shocking facts thing--is not handled well, from the way the section headings are written to the overall presentation of information. So, yes, here are twelve ways F4 drops the ball. But what's missing is any sort of awareness that for millions of gamers--not thousands, millions--those things may not matter much. And it's written with a sort of childish petulance that makes neutral observers feel that the criticisms aren't as valid as they actually are.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?71628-Fallout-4&p=3961742

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
i think the writer makes valid points but i think the review is shit because he treats me like a retard because im a retard with no taste so screw this review and screw the writer. reviews should be nice to me and suck my dick if they want to convince me. who cares about poor game design and decline anyways, games are all about FUN

I hope you are happy about all the newfags this will attract.
the pillars of eternity review shitstorm is how I got here in the first place

Urbanolo

Augur
Are there any plans on Witcher 3 smackdown? Goddamn, this game is overrated by the general public.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
F4 is utter shit, don't get me wrong, but to say that F3 is better is just plain retarded. F4 is as good of a Bethesda game as they come, in fact, I don't see how Beth could ever possibly best it. Its shooting is serviceable and visuals are decent, and that's all you really need for a AAA game. To seriously criticize Bethesda game for quality of its writing, plot, or mechanics is like being upset at McDonalds for not serving filet mignon. It's still shit, but be reasonable about why it's shit.

Review's good tho

Doktor Best

Arcane
Are there any plans on Witcher 3 smackdown? Goddamn, this game is overrated by the general public.

Well the codex agrees with the general public on this actually, the game took 3rd place in the codex GOTY polls.

I think the review is nicely written. And fuck those who shame cynical people. The world needs more of them. I'd even say the only way to face the beast that is Fallout 4 is with a towershield made of cynism, else it will just melt your brain and transform you into a shell of a human being who spends 400 hours doing fetchquests and building pointless settlements because a black dude with a silly hat tells you to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom