Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

100% way to make it pirate-proof

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
even not releasing the game at all isn't 100% pirate-proof (see the last starfighter on the atari, or flying saucer on the pc for a more recent example).

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
CF, your method would lead to people yelling "AoD is a bugridden nonsalvageable mess" in every RPG-related corner of the internet, which would discourage potential customers.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You could do in-game messages (during loading or sth) that are written in such a matter that every good owner will feel heartened and each pirate will feel utterly guilty.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
kittenbk2.jpg

Kortalh

Liturgist
Cloaked Figure said:
prior to release, upload dozens of virus-ridden torrents to torrent site that are supposedly a leak of AoD, and keep doing this up until release. by the time it is out, the word will have spread that there are hundreds of torrents claiming to be AoD but are just viruses, so people will be too scared to try and pirate it.

Until it hits the private BT trackers, where they screen their torrents for legitimacy.

The only way to make a game 100% pirate-proof is to release it for free. And even then there'll still be some dumbasses who pirate it anyway just to say they can.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Ion Flux said:
I'm sorry but the whole PennyAnte / Cloaked Figure thing is frigging funny. :lol:
Just remember that I didn't start or encourage it ... it makes me think I should put info about me and links to my pictures back in my signature ... this kind of thing is why I did it in the first place.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Elwro said:
CF, your method would lead to people yelling "AoD is a bugridden nonsalvageable mess" in every RPG-related corner of the internet, which would discourage potential customers.
But that is the whole point!
The only way you don't lose revenue through piracy is making sure nobody wants your product.
They say genius and insanity lie close together. I say they have small minds and lack the mental capacity to comprehend the grand picture. Muahahahhaaha *mr.evilbiteintofinger*

Anyway, anybody want to point me to the thread where CF and PA fell in love? (But only if it is lulzy)

Cassidy

Arcane
I won't waste my time arguing with whatever was the fail of the OP.

I believe Introversion Software provides extra downloadable goodies and passworded .zip files to people with legitimate copies of their games through a password card bundled with the original game box or e-mailed.

Yes, the "login with your register #" site with extra downloads could be cracked or the zip password force-broken or bypassed, and someone could put its files to a torrent, but how many would actually take so much effort? And finally, everything can be bypassed, but I would never buy or download a pirated software if the genuine came with truly cool extras either bundled with its box or downloadable.

xuerebx

Erudite
Elwro said:

True.

If someone's that fucking selfish to not fork out a little $25 (the downloadable version) for an RPG game which is looking very good, well, I don't know what to say. Besides, people supporting this game will probably buy it, people not interested in the game won't pirate the game, they wouldn't even care about the game at all.

Mojo

Scholar
If someone's that fucking selfish to not fork out a little $25 (the downloadable version) for an RPG game which is looking very good, well, I don't know what to say.

Unfortunatelly that's how most people are. They usually don't pay unless they have to.

As for fighting piracy, it's curious people still try. It's a battle a publisher/developer can't win. The "cyberterrorism" the douchebag op suggests for instance, would probably lead to a widespread rumour of the game being bugged, ruining the pc, etc. If the origin of the virus is revealed as well, a whole lot of bad publicity would be upon the developer/publisher.

The best that can be done are just simple measures to slow down piracy and motivate legitimate buyers. Activation keys being required to launch the game, extra content for registered owners of the game, etc. Distributing a box/printed manual version of the game is in itself a good strategy to sell the game as well.

J1M

Arcane
Cloaked Figure said:
prior to release, upload dozens of virus-ridden torrents to torrent site that are supposedly a leak of AoD, and keep doing this up until release. by the time it is out, the word will have spread that there are hundreds of torrents claiming to be AoD but are just viruses, so people will be too scared to try and pirate it.
Sorry, companies already pay for this sort of thing. Interestingly enough, digital files are also subject to natural selection. The ones that are fake have fewer seeds and thus get passed over for the real file. You might get one or two people, but then they post a comment on the thread and that's the end of that.

J1M

Arcane
Cloaked Figure said:
ah, so what download-able content will they release for an RPG game, genius?
Prequel chapter, epilogue, sidestory, hur hur.

xuerebx

Erudite
Mojo said:
If someone's that fucking selfish to not fork out a little $25 (the downloadable version) for an RPG game which is looking very good, well, I don't know what to say.

Unfortunatelly that's how most people are. They usually don't pay unless they have to.

As for fighting piracy, it's curious people still try. It's a battle a publisher/developer can't win. The "cyberterrorism" the douchebag op suggests for instance, would probably lead to a widespread rumour of the game being bugged, ruining the pc, etc. If the origin of the virus is revealed as well, a whole lot of bad publicity would be upon the developer/publisher.

The best that can be done are just simple measures to slow down piracy and motivate legitimate buyers. Activation keys being required to launch the game, extra content for registered owners of the game, etc. Distributing a box/printed manual version of the game is in itself a good strategy to sell the game as well.

Extra material only available when buying the boxed edition could help reduce piracy. Like a map, or something similar, as an incentive to buy the game.

But a game like AoD, I think most people who are interested in this game will actually buy it. If it was a very mainstream game it would be different.

J1M

Arcane
Cloaked Figure said:
because only 1 person downloads from the same torrent file at the same time, right? and by virus i mean a real fucking virus, blue screen and all.
Yeah, forcing a reformat of someone's computer is the best way to keep them seeding your fake file, dumbass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom