Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What happened to "mature" art direction? Everything is Overwatch now

TedNugent

Arcane
Indeed, it was the world (locations) design and clever use of graphics that elevated WoW above everything else.
Not to mention WarCraft has had that art style since WarCraft: Orcs and Humans. They've never really changed it.

Here's a living gem for you:

@madeofmeats

@madeofmeats

1 year ago (edited)

I know it doesn’t mean much to cishet people, but as a pan person, it means a lot having little moments where characters will casually mention their same sex partners in passing and not making it a big deal. I remember reading Thomas Bright’s quest for the first time and having to reread the “husband” line. It feels nice being treated like a regular human instead of a spectacle or an oddity. Please keep making more of these subtle queer characters, they make me happy.Also, I head canon my vulpera shaman as a trans woman because she did start out a male character but I eventually switched her to female. Edit: seeing people say they’re not gonna play wow anymore because of the queer rep is actually a good thing, that means less gross people I have to worry about running into and less competition for mount farming

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Concept art versus the box art and pixel art in Orcs vs. Humans. Warcraft has always been cartoony. Although, come to think of it, didn't they get rid of the bloody corpses in Warcraft 3? Dead units just turn in to skeletons?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Edit: seeing people say they’re not gonna play wow anymore because of the queer rep is actually a good thing, that means less gross people I have to worry about running into and less competition for mount farming
This is the kind of thinking I expect from these kind of people. They'll post things like this, then wonder what happened to their job after they drove away a lot of their customers. And it happens in lots of forms of media. "If you don't like my forced politics, bigot, don't buy my product!" followed in a few months by "Well, they closed down my studio. Please feel sympathetic for me."

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Edit: seeing people say they’re not gonna play wow anymore because of the queer rep is actually a good thing, that means less gross people I have to worry about running into and less competition for mount farming
This is the kind of thinking I expect from these kind of people. They'll post things like this, then wonder what happened to their job after they drove away a lot of their customers. And it happens in lots of forms of media. "If you don't like my forced politics, bigot, don't buy my product!" followed in a few months by "Well, they closed down my studio. Please feel sympathetic for me."
Being condescending and engaging in customer shaming is a sure way of aiming for bankruptcy.
Don't they teach those motherfuckers NOT to engage in shitty arguments with their customers? Customers are to be pleased in order to maximize profit and keep them happy.
Isn't this general healthy and honest business practice?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Being condescending and engaging in customer shaming is a sure way of aiming for bankruptcy.
Don't they teach those motherfuckers NOT to engage in shitty arguments with their customers? Customers are to be pleased in order to maximize profit and keep them happy.
Literally every major studio is full of people who have contempt for the audience. All of their conversations at work are about how much they hate entitled *spits* gamers. Sometimes they forget that they're supposed to feign appreciation and this stuff spills out.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Literally every major studio is full of people who have contempt for the audience. All of their conversations at work are about how much they hate entitled *spits* gamers. Sometimes they forget that they're supposed to feign appreciation and this stuff spills out.
Can't blame them. There's a lot of contempt against creators in the gaming community.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Don't they teach those motherfuckers NOT to engage in shitty arguments with their customers?
Look at the D&D movie that came out last year. Not only was WotC busy saying things like, "I'll be happy when there's less white people playing D&D." you also had the director making statements about how he loves making movies that make males uncomfortable. So, you had a decently enjoyable movie, which wasn't that woke at all, crash and burn at the Box Office because their core audience just assumed it was leftist woke pandering that they'd already gotten sick of. They killed their own movie for Twitter points.

Literally every major studio is full of people who have contempt for the audience.
It's not just game studios. It's Hollywood, it's comic books, table top gaming, and so on. Name anything you enjoyed as a kid, and then look where it's at today. Star Wars? Go watch any bit of media about Acolyte. Dr. Who? I think we've all seen where that went. Star Trek? Paramount ran it in to the ground, which is a bold strategy since it was supposed to be the cornerstone of their new streaming service. They made Jonathon Kent the new Superman, then made him gay, and then that comic book dropped off the Top 50 Monthly sales. According to Razorfist, Catalyst is busy making damned sure that Battletech is now as gay as possible, including hiring a community manager that's a tranny who admits to only playing Battletech twice in their life.

It's been said a lot of times, particularly when it comes to the comic book channels on YouTube, that these industries are driving off their customers to make people happy on social media who will never actually go and buy their products. This has been an obvious statement of reality for years now, but these studios don't seem to bother fixing their houses and just double down instead. And yes, I know about Blackrock and Vanguard pushing the DEI stuff, but there's also a tipping point where stocks in those woke companies actually brings down your portfolios. They had to downgrade Disney last year since Disney was imploding just a little too fast.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Don't they teach those motherfuckers NOT to engage in shitty arguments with their customers?
Look at the D&D movie that came out last year. Not only was WotC busy saying things like, "I'll be happy when there's less white people playing D&D." you also had the director making statements about how he loves making movies that make males uncomfortable. So, you had a decently enjoyable movie, which wasn't that woke at all, crash and burn at the Box Office because their core audience just assumed it was leftist woke pandering that they'd already gotten sick of. They killed their own movie for Twitter points.

Literally every major studio is full of people who have contempt for the audience.
It's not just game studios. It's Hollywood, it's comic books, table top gaming, and so on. Name anything you enjoyed as a kid, and then look where it's at today. Star Wars? Go watch any bit of media about Acolyte. Dr. Who? I think we've all seen where that went. Star Trek? Paramount ran it in to the ground, which is a bold strategy since it was supposed to be the cornerstone of their new streaming service. They made Jonathon Kent the new Superman, then made him gay, and then that comic book dropped off the Top 50 Monthly sales. According to Razorfist, Catalyst is busy making damned sure that Battletech is now as gay as possible, including hiring a community manager that's a tranny who admits to only playing Battletech twice in their life.

It's been said a lot of times, particularly when it comes to the comic book channels on YouTube, that these industries are driving off their customers to make people happy on social media who will never actually go and buy their products. This has been an obvious statement of reality for years now, but these studios don't seem to bother fixing their houses and just double down instead. And yes, I know about Blackrock and Vanguard pushing the DEI stuff, but there's also a tipping point where stocks in those woke companies actually brings down your portfolios. They had to downgrade Disney last year since Disney was imploding just a little too fast.
Only D&D movie I saw was Dungeons and Dragons 3: Book of Vile Darkness.

lightbane

Arcane
So, you had a decently enjoyable movie, which wasn't that woke at all
Whites were evil, stupid or both, all pairings were mixed races, the main character is constantly ignored by the others, there's a Trump-esque character, there's also a black elf sorcerer, an insufferable druid...
It was DND meets Marvel movie. Granted, it wasn't as bad as say The Marvels, but the DND movie was woke for sure.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Whites were evil, stupid or both, all pairings were mixed races, the main character is constantly ignored by the others, there's a Trump-esque character, there's also a black elf sorcerer, an insufferable druid...
Chris Pine's character didn't come off as stupid, considering he was the master planner of the group and had to adjust plans on the fly. I did notice that they paired the ginger with the black guy because Hollywood hates gingers unless they're with black dudes.

Who was the Trump-esque character? Hugh Grant? I never got that impression.

Odoryuk

Educated
At least we have FromSoftware as keepers of good oldschool visuals.

QbP7MCt.png

zOcGud1.png

bIsb5JL.png

uLGPE2p.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The are a few other Japanese developers who aren't anime-only: sometimes Capcom (stuff like MH or DMC is somewhat cartoonish but at least it's not full-blown anime, and RE plus DD are super grounded), Kojima shit, the Nioh/Rise of Ronin/Wo Long guys (ish).

Anyone else?

Odoryuk

Educated

The are a few other Japanese developers who aren't anime-only: sometimes Capcom (stuff like MH or DMC is somewhat cartoonish but at least it's not full-blown anime, and RE plus DD are super grounded), Kojima shit, the Nioh/Rise of Ronin/Wo Long guys (ish).

Anyone else?
Yakuza series, spiritually very animesque, doesn't look like anime visually.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Everything is Overwatch in the same sense everything was grey/brown military shooter 15 years ago.

It's a trend like all trends.

caffeine

Novice
Not just games, movies too. This has been going on for close to a decade, and it's a sure way of losing money.
Movies and series look like fucking shit today, I blame digital (which in turn makes it easier to insert pajeet'd CGI). But I'd posit that this medium's problem is the opposite of what the video game industry is undergoing: everything looks drab, dark, and colors are not allowed anymore. Which again, makes it easier for purposes of hiding bad CGI that is becoming mandatory in all films.

NotSweeper

Educated
Eh, there is something to what Semiurge says. It's like two different ideas of art - zero skill/all self-expression vs. godlike skill/zero self-expression.
I ain't saying that the distinction doesn't exist, alls I'm saying is that people who prefer the former should get a life sentence in a work camp.

Mujeres_riendo.jpg

You let shit like this be in art museums instead of doing the right thing and burning them, and then you wonder how you've reached the point where a certain section of the population thinks men can be women and why mental illness is at an all time high in the west. Lionize ugliness and you end up with an ugly society, indulge in liberalism and self expression and you end up with trannies.

Ash

Arcane
There is indeed a lot of trash-tier art direction these days. Thankfully, not all. Here's some of my favorites 2015-2024 that also qualify as good games:

image.png

5366-1637320013-2030e6864df097e40eeac37962efc182.png

xcom-2-ps4-790x444.jpg

R.ed821d6a693f6b30e47c597bc7f2b823

1.jpg

dying-light-following-enhanced-edition-it-efigs.jpg

Darkwood-Screenshots-2.jpg

image.png

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

large.jpg

Yeah yeah cry about Doom Eternal some more. Yes it doesn't have great art direction. Better than all the low effort overwatch type shit at least.

ind33d

Learned
So, you had a decently enjoyable movie, which wasn't that woke at all
Can anyone else confirm/deny that despite the trailer that implied full-blown SJW poz, the D&D movie came out poz free? I don't trust this poster and his opinions.
D&D movie is legitimately good but the daughter's skin color changes so much between scenes that it causes continuity errors

also having a black elf instead of a black human is asinine

TedNugent

Arcane
Although, come to think of it, didn't they get rid of the bloody corpses in Warcraft 3? Dead units just turn in to skeletons?
Nah

Cannibalize​

Consumes a nearby corpse to heal 16 hit points per second. It takes 20 seconds to fully consume a corpse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom