Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've had the least lag on the gibbed servers, though theres a lot of griefing pricks when they have large numbers of people.
Also Jimbob plays on them, he was the one who attempted to feed me crap when I was roleplaying HHR.

Zeriel

Arcane
Thief news made me load up Thief 2 again. My lover is still sexy after all these years.

Downloaded the Mass Effect 3 DLC overnight to see how terribad it is... played an hour of Leviathan and it's pretty standard ME3 stuff really, for better or worse depending on your point of view.

I enjoyed Leviathan a bit, but it (and everything else in the game) suffers incredibly under the weight of what you know is coming, and the general corridor shooting malaise. Every moment where you start to get immersed and enjoy the game, that realization just creeps up on you and ruins it all over again.

circ

Arcane
Moar Skyrams.

Dawnguard freezing issues seem to have been a temporary thing. Broken as fuck quests continue though. And vampire raids killing quest mobs in town is always fun.

But hey.

Trying pure mage. AND I MEAN PUAR. AS IN NONE OF THAT LIGHT ARMOR BULLSHIT I WEAR CLOTH. I die a lot. Like holy fuck do I die a lot. Almost level 50, destruction maxed other schools almost, and fuck I did Morvarths lair or whatever like 10 times because I kept getting beheaded by the fucker. I'd drop some healing spells but they're so fucking slow I'm better off using potions. Destruction is such a laughable piece of shit too. What's sad is, so is conjuration and the rest is utility, and ebony skin - does it even work??? 10+ minutes to kill a legendary dragon with destruction, throw in a storm atronach too. COMPARE THAT TO FUCKING ONE ROUNDING A SIMILAR DRAGON WITH ENHANCED TO FUCK ONE HANDED WEAPONS ON A SNEAKY/ASSASSIN/WARRIOR GUY WITH LIGHT ARMOR.

WHY DO YOU HATE MAGES BETHESDA?

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm pretty sure there's an ass-ton of mods that change magic, and some of them have to be good if only by the law of averages.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I've had the least lag on the gibbed servers
i'm not sure if having less lag is worth playing with the filthy goons on gibbed :lol:
It's tough. They kick you out for pretending to rape other players, talking about My Little Pony, and the evils of racemixing, I'm not sure Codexers would manage to keep themselves contained.

Data4

Arcane
Been playing Sleeping Dogs lately. I think I might be near the end, so I've started a game of Drakensang: RoT to slide into fully, once I'm done playing chopsocky.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Moar Skyrams.

Dawnguard freezing issues seem to have been a temporary thing. Broken as fuck quests continue though. And vampire raids killing quest mobs in town is always fun.

But hey.

Trying pure mage. AND I MEAN PUAR. AS IN NONE OF THAT LIGHT ARMOR BULLSHIT I WEAR CLOTH. I die a lot. Like holy fuck do I die a lot. Almost level 50, destruction maxed other schools almost, and fuck I did Morvarths lair or whatever like 10 times because I kept getting beheaded by the fucker. I'd drop some healing spells but they're so fucking slow I'm better off using potions. Destruction is such a laughable piece of shit too. What's sad is, so is conjuration and the rest is utility, and ebony skin - does it even work??? 10+ minutes to kill a legendary dragon with destruction, throw in a storm atronach too. COMPARE THAT TO FUCKING ONE ROUNDING A SIMILAR DRAGON WITH ENHANCED TO FUCK ONE HANDED WEAPONS ON A SNEAKY/ASSASSIN/WARRIOR GUY WITH LIGHT ARMOR.

WHY DO YOU HATE MAGES BETHESDA?

Some tips:
- Don't play at anything harder than adept. The stupid game is not balanced for magic at higher difficulty.
- Brew Fortify Destruction potions. Nonono before saying "I've already -100% magicka cost you dumbass" please note that Fortify Destruction POTIONS enhance spell DAMAGE, instead of lowering the magicka cost. A good potion can make your spells 30~50% more damaging.
- You can dual cast the dragonskin spell, giving yourself one whole minute of 80% damage reduction. But you must have something like at least -80% alteration spell cost in order to cast it though.

I actually wanted to replay Skyrim, this time as a warrior. But the second I stepped into Whiterun, I grew immediately bored. Everything is just static and small and repetitive...how I miss the illusion of massive cities in Daggerfall. :(

So now I'm stuck at a hard drive full of good games like Civ4, MoM, Dom3, TOME4, and slightly more popamole but still good enough games like Arkham City, DX:HR...but not having any interest to invest much time into any of it. Now I'm more or less just waiting for Heart of the Swarm and Bioshock Infinite. :(

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Baldur's Gate. I got horribly nostalgic and just had to install it.

Meh, what a mess of badly implemented spells, bugs, poor mechanics and not enough writing.

Just had a fight with some priestess in a tavern. She could cast spells at me while attacked by 3 party members and I had to use a wand of magic missiles to interrupt them. That is until I discovered that pausing game interrupts spells.
Finally, she ran out of spells and there was some 10 of rounds of fighting where neither side could hit or seriously harm each other - without any options for desperate attacks, defensive fighting, wrestling, etc.
Shit mechanics are shit.

I like the atmosphere and avoiding enemy encounters in the wilderness, though.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Been really busy as of late, so I've been playing my 3DS a lot. Most of my PC gaming has been relegated to uninstalling shitass games off Steam (Human Rev, LA Noire) and staring at the ones I haven't given a chance to disappoint me yet (Metro, Mark of the Ninja). Also, looking at the mockup of some writing on the Close Combat series (or, more precisely, the first three games).

Some DS games I've played through lately...

Alien: Infestation. Picked it up for $10. A fun game, and a good Aliens game somewhat reminiscent of the Aliens 3 for SNES. Side-scroller with a lot of picking up new gear to get into new places gameplay. Surprisingly tense at times with a few jump scares that managed to get me. Gameplay consists of running and gunning, finding equipment, fighting bosses, and finding marines. If a dude dies, which they always do on boss fights, you lose them; they're dead. So you have to continuously add new soldiers to the roster. It's like Cannon Fodder-lite in that respect. For $10, the game felt worth it. I did think it could have been much, much better if they could have expanded on the resources they had (the game plays and looks very good -- it's just a bit short in terms of scope).

Jagged Alliance. Very watered down to fit the DS. Controls just way too clunky. A failed port and a title I returned for cash. For some reason, I see this DS-JA in almost every game store I go into. They must have printed a helluva lot of copies that nobody buys.

Fire Emblem: Awakening. Japanese shit usually doesn't do it for me. I dislike their smarmy, foreign-hating culture, and I carry some disdain for the legitimately crazy aspects of it that sorta lash out from underneath the conservative veils. So, generally, most JRPGs grind my fucking gears. This one, though, is actually pretty decent. I've never played an FE game before, but after a rut of strategy games left me feeling disenfranchised with the genre, I picked it up. Strategy-RPG gameplay consists of controlling heroes and fighting your way through wars and tragedies and some other stuff. It has some fairly interesting game mechanics -- while using a rock-paper-scissors weapons system, it doesn't fall for the trap of making the weapons-set-up so decisive as to turn every battle. Instead, gameplay mostly revolves around "pairing" fighters, a combination of two units into one, who then help one another in gaining stats and fighting. It also means characters come to like one another and marry in ham-fisted, stupid ways. But ignoring the means to the end for a second, the idea actually has great gameplay ramifications. Characters marry. They have kids. You get to use those kids. The kids can marry... While the concept sounds stupid at its most shallow level (and it is; you should see some of the 'marriage proposals'), the idea itself makes for some really compelling gameplay.

Castlevania: Mirror of Fate. First, I just want to say that I really liked Lords of Shadow. The fighting mechanics were balanced and tightly wound, perhaps a tier below Ninja Gaiden, somewhere in that God of War range where there's a mix of button-mashing and legitimate combo creation (and the game doesn't punish you for either). Aesthetically, it is one of the most beautiful games I have ever played. Some of the set pieces and level designs are just amazing. The art direction could be both charming and wondrous, and the music interesting without being overwhelming (some people stated it as mediocre, indistinguishable orchestra, though). You get to parttake in a hero's quest/journey (my fave), it has elements of tragedy, and you get to fight a huge cast of monster tropes in what is, really, a fairly lengthy game for the genre. I didn't even give a shit about the QTEs. There's plenty of faults to talk about, sure, but at the end of the experience I was just more or less in the thought of mind that, Boy, I really liked that game.

One of the reasons I liked Lords of Shadow, and subsequently Mirror of Fate -- which can be summarized tersely as a 2.5D version of Lords of Shadow -- is because it correlates fairly well with my dislike for the Japanese take-over of the series' aesthetic and gameplay mechanics. Symphony of the Night is regarded as the series' high mark, but that game sucks. Outside of its music, the gameplay is literally broken, far too easily beat, and the game is doubled in size just by flipping the castle around. The newer games sacrifice the combat of the originals to fulfill a quest for a Metroid style of gameplay, but if I wanted that I'd just play Metroid... The characters are Japanese anime cutouts, looking more like stylized schoolgirls than vampire hunters. My disdain for the Metroidvanias, as they're called, isn't necessarily universal (I like two of them, OoE and CoM), but they're not really "Castlevanias" to me. Castlevania, to me, is taking a hardass dude into a dreary landscape and kicking monster ass. That's it. You don't go pick up gear you lack, you are the gear. Castlevania IV is really the high point of the series, and the last two Castlevania games are the first I've seen come close to that formula. So... I like them. A lot. The prissy boytoys with purple hair who shoot faeries for a weapon can stay the fuck home.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Started Mark of the Ninja. But before that I wanted to play Shank and Shank 2, which had been sitting on my backlog for a while, by the same developer to get an idea of their progression. I found Shank to be ok and fun but a bit rough around the edges, still ok to spend an evening with if you want some change. Shank 2 was both better and worse with some aspects that were improved while others had been too simplified and shortcuts taken. Also the story was simply stupid; mind you the first one wasn't exactly deep and mature but at least it kept things focused while in Shank 2 I got the feeling that things happened "just because". Anyway I was a bit apprehensive when I started Mark after Shank 2.

Turned out to be a happy surprise. The devs certainly improved a lot and you can see the filiation from Shank but this is a different beast. I love how they leave several routes to approach problems and that the levels let you explore a bit to find hidden items. Controls are also very responsive, which is always a plus for a game that requires some precise timing like this one. It's also interesting to see that while they kept the same art style and cheesy pulp fiction feel of Shank, this time the story is much more compelling due to the air of mystery that surrounds it. I haven't finished the game yet but it is nice to see that Klei learned from its past experiences and grew in the right direction. I certainly hope that they'll keep delivering the same level of quality or even improve some more.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I too have been playing Mark of the Ninja. It's decent. The checkpoint system makes my blood boil though.

jaybirdy

Educated
Strider 2... for the first time. I feel like this is the game I've been waiting for my whole life

It's like released endorphins on tap

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I too have been playing Mark of the Ninja. It's decent. The checkpoint system makes my blood boil though.

That's the only bad thing in the game, imho. Everything else was well done but this made my anger-o-meter rise several times since it can absolutely screw a perfect run and the only thing to do is start over.
Right now I'm playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat with AtmosFear and Absolute Nature, all on max. Boy does it feel good hunting shit and gathering artifacts during thunderstorms.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Just encountered Nimbul. Khalid, Jaheira and Xan are dead, my character and Imoen are still alive due to bravely running away.
Guards have ignored dude flipping out and starting killing people, in some magical way I got bodies to resurrect despite that the guy holds the field. Oh and Khalid got killed in the mines but I ressurected him for 100 gold pieces.
Fuck, this game is so fucking retarded.

And of course, there's a fucking dude standing before me with mirror images and casting spells and there's no way to hit him or stop him from casting without destroying all the images first and all the fucking images have his armour/magic item AC, fuck this shit. It's a fucking level 2 spell but the broken implementation makes it insanely powerful.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And of course, there's a fucking dude standing before me with mirror images and casting spells and there's no way to hit him or stop him from casting without destroying all the images first and all the fucking images have his armour/magic item AC, fuck this shit. It's a fucking level 2 spell but the broken implementation makes it insanely powerful.
That's kinda awesome in this spell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom