Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

anus_pounder

Arcane
Messing around in The Secret World since I got it from the bundle. The MMO part is trash but I would kill for a singleplayer RPG like this.

aQ206lf.png

True Detective right here men. :dance:

You aren't the only one, mate. :negative:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Found a trove of old Red Orchestra/Rising Storm vids and now I'm playing it again. Made a new vid out of it too

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Adom. Came back after few months hiatus. Rolled Troll assassin, went to unremarkable dungeon, got crowned(fire res), got controlled teleportitis, got black and white dragon armor, got petrification res, went darkforge, got dagger of death, beat the water temple, went to dwarftown altar, identified stuff, took it back, held "a" for too long and priest became hostile and shop owner one shotted me:troll:
YASD

Villagkouras

Arcane
After finishing Bastion (that Kev Inkline gave me) which was great, but I guess everyone knows it until now, I went straight to ADR1FT and oh my God, Zombra you lucky bastard you decided to gift the key. Now that I think of it, I may be one of the few beggars that I actually play the games I get.

It's a floating simulator, because that's the only thing you do in the entire game. The game lasts about 5 hours, a number hugely inflated by the slow movement, horrendous controls and repetitive animations. You only float and when the oxygen meter comes low you got to find an oxygen bottle to replenish your levels. Of course, if you have like 90% and you find a bottle, you cannot, I don't know, maybe HOLD IT and use it when it's necessary.

Anyway, the space station you were on suffered a huge accident and you're the only one who survived. You have to repair some modules. That's it. Nothing else happens. Apart from listening to audiologs to uncover the secrets, the affairs and the dynamics of the rest of the members. Honestly, I don't think anyone will give a shit about the other members. The story way below average, but this is subjective. I found other walking sims to have more interesting stories and characters than ADR1FT (who the fuck thought to replace the I with 1?).

The atmosphere of floating in space while you see the huge earth is nice for the first hour or so but quickly wears of due to the frustation of the controls. Also, the game is very well optimized, I had everything on MAX and had no FPS drops (r7 260x my GPU). So, I guess Denuvo doesn't kill performance as they say...

I could have much better time if the controls were better. Sometimes I thought that I was driving a truck on ice while I was on drugs. The game is intended for VR, but I wouldn't dare to try it unless I wanted to puke every 10 seconds. The worst offender is their minimap which manages to confuse you than help you and this is a big achievement.

If you are a space and walking sim lover, you may find some positives here, but I think Event[0] that came this year was better. Also, if you want to try VR, make sure that you're not prone to motion sickness and have an empty stomach. If you want to find a good story and interesting gameplay, look elsewhere.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
Been replaying the original Dark Souls 2, but this time on Company of Champions difficulty (monsters don't disappear, must solo, take more damage do less). Just completed the 2nd part of Shrine of Amana. The devs actually put a summon in the middle of this level so you could get some help in this second part of the level but you can only use it on normal difficulty. I had to learn monster locations and how to kill them. This level has it all: monsters hidden in the water, monsters who attack with ranged projectiles (homing), normal knight type of enemy that is dangerous in groups, water that slows movement - and the last part of the section has all of these. There's also a troll you need to avoid while dealing with other enemies. This is maybe the only non-boss area in the game where you can't just improvise and hope for the best. If the entire game was like this, it would be pure genius but it might also be too much for most fans. I had to take a break after beating it. Ever since I started on Company of Champions, this was the part of the game where I thought I'd probably get stuck for good. Now I have hope I can beat the whole game eventually this way.

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
Playing NWN again.

I don't know how I did it but I seemingly forgot just how crippled this game really is. The henchman AI is the absolute worst I've ever seen. It's fucking atrocious. The sheer number of times I've seen Tomi attack one enemy, only to disengage for no reason whatsoever in order to go fight another enemy at the backrow - inviting four AoOs on route - and then dying like a fucking retard...

:x

That said, playing as a Shifter is pretty entertaining.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Beat the fourth game just now, took 3 hours, so it was indeed meatier than the first three. And I'm pretty sure I kinda loved it. Only one left, shame.

All done. Liked 'Blackwell Epiphany' too, though it did feel a bit messy. Gonna replay them all eventually with the 'dev commentary' mode on, let them explain themselves!

So now what... Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, why not!?

Freddie

Savant
Finished Bioshock 1 remastered. Saved all the little sisters and got the good ending. Final fight was... not overly long, yet surprisingly easy, considering I killed some of the big daddies and rescued some little sisters before I got the camera, which later meant that I couldn't complete all the research and so get all the tonic upgrades. Didn't find all the audio logs, though I think I got the most of them.

There weren't any major bugs like what happened when I started the game using defaults settings, except it appears to be very sensitive to background programs that interact with screen, overlays, dynamic brightness control, blue light reduction, etc. It appears that I got lucky because while browsing game Steam forum, there were hardly any other threads but people reporting, complaining and trying to figure their ways around crashes, game deleting saves, etc. technical issues.

What comes to my experience, game looks good. I liked the art direction and how art deco was used in creation of the world and some effort were put in ads, posters, etc. Level design was also interesting, yet immersive, place could sort of function. I have seen maps pasted in places, also in Codex, but they don't really give honest picture regarding complexity of maps, how actual levels were designed and environment puzzles influence.

Musical score and ambient sound and effects were very good, not getting on the way, but being distinctive enough in the right places. Voice acting was overall very good, but there was perhaps surprisingly few lines considering how big the voice cast was. Controls felt snappy, when I lost it happened because of my error, not because there was something wrong with the controls... Well, I couldn't figure out how to customise Tonics function keys and order kept changing in latter game.

I felt characters made sense in setting and story. Campaign story was interesting. Even I have seen this compared to Deus Ex many times, I don't know if comparison is that fair. Bioshock has much tighter narrative than Deus Ex and for Bioshock it was good enough for what they were trying to do.

What comes to plot and what I recall from reviews back in the day, I'm still wondering what I should think, which is a good thing. Andrew Ryan is obvious stand in for Ayn Rand, someone is needed to sweep the floors something even Neil Peart came up in song lyrics in the 80's... I'm not sure if I'm giving Levine too much credit here, but I felt it was more about nature of man and human history of conflict and opportunity. I don't think it was anti-capitalistic per se, but more about that utopia, be that whatever utopia, can't happen if it's basic idea is founded on ideas what humans should be, instead what humans are. Levines 'lens' is interesting and some of the choices in a way how story was told (the world was huge part of it) gave me an idea of history, what all sort of trends impacted influenced the baby boomer generation.

Last edited:

Carceri

Arcane
^Too bad it runs like shit.
Really? Works great on my 5 years old laptop- medium details ofc but HD resolution. Looks better than Diablo 3 IMO (less childish).

I got crashes and screen freezes. It also stutters sometimes. Surprisingly changing/fiddling with video settings has no effect on performance. I have the GOG version, but a colleague from work bought the game from Steam and he told me he encountered the same problems . Truth is GD has a piece of shit of an old engine. I kinda regret buying it.

Krivol

Magister
^Too bad it runs like shit.
Really? Works great on my 5 years old laptop- medium details ofc but HD resolution. Looks better than Diablo 3 IMO (less childish).

I got crashes and screen freezes. It also stutters sometimes. Surprisingly changing/fiddling with video settings has no effect on performance. I have the GOG version, but a colleague from work bought the game from Steam and he told me he encountered the same problems . Truth is GD has a piece of shit of an old engine. I kinda regret buying it.

It's quite shocking for me - I had only one issue - some graphical glitches when using one special power after alt+tabing game few times, aslo I had CTD once (just when I finished 5th level of arena for the first time - I was quite pissed off, but I had few disconnections due to shitty internet when playing Diablo 3 so games are even here)

baturinsky

Arcane
X-Com Piratez. I literally can't stop playing it. Mostly because of plot (in all senses of this word), but strategy is great too. You always have to balance between maximising live capture (which gives way more resources and options), not getting wounded (long healing time, month or two usual for heavy wounds) and conserving ammo (which is often unavailable in shops and/or for manufacturing - you only get as much as you loot).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Inquisitor is weird game from gameplay perspective.
After some time of grinding (and dealing with easier quests like "bring Betty to lone sodomite shepherd", potions delivery, burning heretics joke - they're locked behind hardest quests in act1) I reached lvl15.
You need to reach lvl15 to get your first (working) offensive, healing, light and reviving companions spells. I would understand suffering with melee for few levels but this?
Another problem is difficulty setting. On Easy monsters have far less HP compared to Hard setting and get down faster. Problem is - your companions too. Despite having higher Constitution than my Priest (Con16, 121hp) with Con26 their pitiful 84hp (and 3-8 more with every new level) for paladin is just complete nonsense. On Hard with same Con24 he have whooping 274hp which give you more time to throw him a potion and chance to cure poision. How you cure poison btw? None of the spells say it plain, but Purge do the work. And that only after putting bunch of points into his skill and - also obscure - cast Bless (spell boost) before curing attemps. Some low level spells (and maybe some higher level ones too?) have surprisingly high failure chance. Sometimes 2 points in skill give 100% success ratio, sometimes 10pts bring nothing working.
Playing without speeding up game with some apps is not recommended (especially when you play on Hard and enemies need a lot of punishment to get down).
I also like quicksave system - just click on your companion to make DialogInitiation.sav file.

There is still something that keep me with the game. I try to complete Act1 before 2017 and see what next.

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
Playing a mage in Inquisitor only gets rewarding once you reach level 35 or so and get Infernal Hounds, which actually makes everything too easy. At level 45 you even get some great offensive magic with dark mass. The road there is long and filled with chugging mana potions and casting locust swarm. Definitely keep the dog thing, he makes shit a lot less tedious early on if you manage to keep him alive.

It's a crappy game in almost all ways, but it does have charm and great atmosphere I think.

DeepOcean

Arcane
There is still something that keep me with the game. I try to complete Act1 before 2017 and see what next.
On act II is kinda a repeat of act I on a bigger city where you keep rooting out heretics but the gameplay problems persist. Inquisitor is that sort of game that begs for someone to extensively mod the bad parts, man this game has incredible ideas, the obsession of western companies with politically correct fantasy settings leads to people ignoring fantastic opportunities for original settings like Inquisitor one. The 2d art is great too, especially later on the bigger cities.

Freddie

Savant
The shock series from SS1 to Bioshock Infinte has had amazingly bad endings.
I guess I'm going to see about that. Honestly though, I don't recall anything about Bioshock Infinite ending.

Playing Bioshock 2 Remastered now.

First thing that I noticed was colour palette and lighting. It's more vibrant than in Bioshock 1 Remastered. I didn't felt like it's for the better. Somehow it doesn't feel as immersive as first one. Levels appear to be shorter. There has been couple of diving sections, which is nice idea, but so far those has been just walking in a pipeline.

Control scheme is a bit different from Bioshock 1, don't know why. Hacking is different, it's not a puzzle any more but a reaction test. At least it's fast which probably was the idea.
No major technical issues so far, lightning and smoke doesn't work as intended, but that's been noticeable in just one level. Far more irritating is that game takes longer to load textures, so there are blurry bit's, mainly posters and ads which take a while to sharpen when higher res textures are loaded.

Shadenuat

Arcane
6LP3Acd.jpg

On Steam for 0.40$

DESPERATELY needs a mod that would give you flat 30-40% experience of a defeated fairy. Sadly nobody would ever make one, or add steam achivos or patch obvious things out (Viteria Gen 2 really?). Heck people say it doesn't even work on Win10.
One of my favorite underrated action games, but sadly is also one of the awfully grindy games ever made (not that you can't finish game without grinding, heck starting nature fairy can defeat many things by herself, but you would never get whole pokemon decking experience without it).

This game needs a sequel, so much. A sequel happening in London where ice fairies live in fridges and eat icecream to restore their hp, and maybe you'll play as a child/grandchild of Amy and save fairies from evil humans. Would have been soooo cool.

Story and setting always surprised me a little. It has that strange oldschool twist, a villain that is not really a villain, and surreal and grotesque things in it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom