Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

laclongquan

Arcane
It's a freaking game focus on combat and you praise the writings?
I dont know, maybe you should, you know, get gud or something?
you dont sound like a guy focus on combat gameplay, at least from what you say and didnt say in your short review~

Dux

Arcane
I would lecture some people on their ability to comprehend basic text but I won't. There's no point going down that shitty road.

Let me explain in detail on what I mean about the combat, though, and I promise I'll then let it go. Imagine, if you will, that your party is wandering into a tomb of some sort. You dodge traps and fight a few skeletons or whatever inside. Then, at the very end of the dungeon you're faced with a mummy. Maybe your party are all around level 3 at this point. You think to yourself that this is going to be a tough fight. The bastard is resistant to magic, spreads disease and absorbs damage. Now remember, there's only one mummy - not ten. Icewind Dale offers this initially and it actually works quite well. In my mind, this has the potential of being a far more memorable fight than having to fight off six mummies, twelve ghasts, eight ghouls, sixteen zombies and twenty skeletons all at once. This is IWD in a nutshell, unfortunately. In Baldur's Gate for example you have the dungeon of Ulcaster. In it you have to fight some wolves, a mustard jelly and last but not least a vampiric wolf. This is a dungeon done right. It's fairly challenging but if this was Icewind Dale, you would have to fight at least fifteen dread wolves, six mustard jellies and perhaps five vampiric wolves. It all depends. Oh, and all at once too. Now, I can handle that. I haven't beaten IWD twice and Heart of Winter once without not knowing how to win battles. So you don't have to worry about that. My problem is that it's tedious. Battles in these games shouldn't be tedious. I love the combat offered in BG and BG2. I live for that shit. IWD never knew when to quit while it was ahead. That's the developers' fault. Simple as that. There never was any need to throw entire armies at you at once just to make it challenging. It just reeks of a lack of creativity from Black Isle. I promise you, you can make epic and challenging fights that does not include 20+ adversaries at every point. The only real time when the game feels that it's balanced and reasonable is at the beginning, like I mentioned. The tombs in the Vale of Shadows was mostly designed well. You fought shadows, a priestess of Auril, skeletons. Sometimes it went overboard, predictably, but it was still within reason. Then - after that - it all goes to hell. You go from one place to another fighting trash mobs. Over and over and over again. Yuan-Ti? Drow? Umber Hulks? Fire Giants? Meh, I'll just carve 'em up with my +4 sword that I found lying somewhere. Again, what if you'd wandered into an exotic and alien locale, encountering a pissed off and eminent Yuan-Ti clergyman who immediately starts fucking you in the ear, because you're level 4 or 5. That's when you have to get creative and find solutions. IWD doesn't do that. It throws ten Yuan-Ti or more at you and hopes for the best.

The game doesn't even have a story to hold it all up, despite Black Isle/Obsidian's apparent literary skills.

I don't know, maybe the ADHD combat is what people really want. Maybe it's just me who appreciates the more toned down encounters. Was I overly harsh on the game? I wouldn't be me if I wasn't. At least it's not Beamdog. Tirades generally demand some elaborations, though, I'll admit to that.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
What Dux is saying is that Icewind Dale's combat encounters are designed as if IWD was a beat'em up, not a role-playing game.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I can't remember the different encounters, I just remember IWD games being more focused on fighting and less gaying around with exploration and story shit. Which is a very good thing.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I've installed Lords of Xulima yesterday evening, and been trying it out today (I took two days off the job, so whatever). The exploration is wonky, and the interface annoying, but I'm determined to keep playing, since everyone is telling me the game takes off after few areas cleared.

Them enemy Mushroom models, though. Ugh.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I would lecture some people on their ability to comprehend basic text but I won't. There's no point going down that shitty road.

Let me explain in detail on what I mean about the combat, though, and I promise I'll then let it go. Imagine, if you will, that your party is wandering into a tomb of some sort. You dodge traps and fight a few skeletons or whatever inside. Then, at the very end of the dungeon you're faced with a mummy. Maybe your party are all around level 3 at this point. You think to yourself that this is going to be a tough fight. The bastard is resistant to magic, spreads disease and absorbs damage. Now remember, there's only one mummy - not ten. Icewind Dale offers this initially and it actually works quite well. In my mind, this has the potential of being a far more memorable fight than having to fight off six mummies, twelve ghasts, eight ghouls, sixteen zombies and twenty skeletons all at once. This is IWD in a nutshell, unfortunately. In Baldur's Gate for example you have the dungeon of Ulcaster. In it you have to fight some wolves, a mustard jelly and last but not least a vampiric wolf. This is a dungeon done right. It's fairly challenging but if this was Icewind Dale, you would have to fight at least fifteen dread wolves, six mustard jellies and perhaps five vampiric wolves. It all depends. Oh, and all at once too. Now, I can handle that. I haven't beaten IWD twice and Heart of Winter once without not knowing how to win battles. So you don't have to worry about that. My problem is that it's tedious. Battles in these games shouldn't be tedious. I love the combat offered in BG and BG2. I live for that shit. IWD never knew when to quit while it was ahead. That's the developers' fault. Simple as that. There never was any need to throw entire armies at you at once just to make it challenging. It just reeks of a lack of creativity from Black Isle. I promise you, you can make epic and challenging fights that does not include 20+ adversaries at every point. The only real time when the game feels that it's balanced and reasonable is at the beginning, like I mentioned. The tombs in the Vale of Shadows was mostly designed well. You fought shadows, a priestess of Auril, skeletons. Sometimes it went overboard, predictably, but it was still within reason. Then - after that - it all goes to hell. You go from one place to another fighting trash mobs. Over and over and over again. Yuan-Ti? Drow? Umber Hulks? Fire Giants? Meh, I'll just carve 'em up with my +4 sword that I found lying somewhere. Again, what if you'd wandered into an exotic and alien locale, encountering a pissed off and eminent Yuan-Ti clergyman who immediately starts fucking you in the ear, because you're level 4 or 5. That's when you have to get creative and find solutions. IWD doesn't do that. It throws ten Yuan-Ti or more at you and hopes for the best.

The game doesn't even have a story to hold it all up, despite Black Isle/Obsidian's apparent literary skills.

I don't know, maybe the ADHD combat is what people really want. Maybe it's just me who appreciates the more toned down encounters. Was I overly harsh on the game? I wouldn't be me if I wasn't. At least it's not Beamdog. Tirades generally demand some elaborations, though, I'll admit to that.
Listen here son, IceWindDale is like the action version of Baldur's Gate. It's hack and slash. Please read reviews before purchasing and playing games, expecting something and getting a different game and complaining like a buffoon.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Company of Heroes (steam version, all-in-one, no patching with bazilion of patches needed)

Clearing towns was nice and dandy. Didn't liked defense mission, especially 4th one, where enemies spawn at any point of map. I set 3-4 MG turrets in my base and it was still not enough for their magic spawns...
Defense - yawn 25min counter. Counterattacks - YAWNNN 30min counter.
connect dots (territories) in final mission - what? that's it? btw. potato forces were mentioned but not included in the game. Shame. Did 10/12 medals objectives, most of them pisseasy when you take your time.
4/10 too much mess and not that fun randomness.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
It's neither. Its tactical strategy. Think something like Commandos, XCOM, Silent Storm, Ground Control etc but in space.

And the game was / is amazing. Still looks stunning 12 years later. Its from the guys who made Imperium Galactica (which was a grand strategy or should I say 4x strategy).

It's not a fast paced game and requires quite a bit of thought and planning. Well worth it, some intense moments and good eyecandy.

There was a trailer for Nexus 2 a while ago, looked so promising but never got made.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It's neither. Its tactical strategy. Think something like Commandos, XCOM, Silent Storm, Ground Control etc but in space.

And the game was / is amazing. Still looks stunning 12 years later. Its from the guys who made Imperium Galactica (which was a grand strategy or should I say 4x strategy).

It's not a fast paced game and requires quite a bit of thought and planning. Well worth it, some intense moments and good eyecandy.

There was a trailer for Nexus 2 a while ago, looked so promising but never got made.
Thanks I am still dreaming of a game like Space Rangers 2 but with more depth. There are a million space games in development but I steer clear of early access stuff. Hoping something will come along eventually... Will try this in the meantime.

tindrli

Arcane

sadly they failed kickstarter
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/mostwanted/nexus-2-the-gods-awaken/

crap.. just saw that somehow gay presentation
at
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mostwanted/nexus-2-the-gods-awaken/?ref=kicktraq
and realize that i would love to see a second part.. god damn.. just dont get it, apart from gay presentation, how its not funded...

Last edited:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
For some reason I spent the past week or two playing Dragon Age: Origins, beat it, started up Awakening even. Well, 'for some reason,' I picked up Inquisition for 10 bucks a couple weeks back and decided I'm gonna go through all three, with the same character. Why I wanna do that, who knows.

Took me 50 hours to get through, didn't mind the characters, the story, the world, but my god, the combat! I'm not even against RTwP, I prefer TB like any normal person, sure, but RTwP is definitely not a deal-breaker for me. But the combat HERE, what a fucking SLOG! As far as RPGs go, DA:O has to be at or near the top of 'most monsters killed,' right? Just wave after wave after wave of trash combat, it's endless, it feels endless! But it's done. Thank the fuck Christ.

Football Manager 2017 Beta going live today, guess I'll have to put off Dragon Age 2. Poor me.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Could someone recommend a game that I could play for 10-15 minutes and feel completely content and satisfied, without any need to keep playing until after a day or two? Nowadays I can't get into games that take too much time, but I still would like to play something occasionally.
Try Breach & Clear.

A level usually doesn't take that long. I sometimes play for 40 minutes and sometimes only 15 minutes, all depending on my mood.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dragon Age 2. Poor me.
You will be surprised to know that Dragon Age 2 is actually much more bearable, because while you still get hordes of trash mobs thrown at you, at least the combat went full genocide-mode and you can dispatch them much faster. The characters and core plot are also more interesting by a large margin, and the city has great art design. I suppose you already know the game suffers from a heavy reuse of assets, but overall, it's just much easier to digest: shorter, smaller, less pretentious, more focused, more personal. I might replay Dragon Age 2 some day, but I'll never be able to stomach more Origins.
Maybe the concept art, but Kirkwall wasn't anything special compared to the cities in the first game.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Started Dragonfall on my tablet. Finally to play how it was meant to be played. For a tablet game, game is excellent. Even thoughh I like RPG filler (invnentory management, loot, quests, etc) I am enjoying the lightness of Dragonfall. Also, no trash mobs, which feels good.

I really like Icewind dale, but this bro has a good point. I fell like he does about almost every CRPG ever designed. For me the beginning, low level and well designed areas of most D&D RPG's is where the real fun exists, and these areas usually draw me into the world and give me the feeling I first experienced while playing real D&D for the first time back in the day.

The problem almost all of these games have though is they quickly lose focus and go to shit and just overwhelm you with trash mobs and magical crap. I guess they think this is epic and/or is what people want. Its probably true that many people say they want this, but the reality is that the more controlled and less mounty-haul type design almost invariably ends up being a more enjoyable and immersive experience.

I have always wanted to design modules or games for this very purpose- to create an entire run of linked modules or adventures that move more slowly and deliberately through a well designed world while giving much less gold, and magical items in general. In fact I much prefer games where even getting one suit of plate mail is extremely difficult both cost wise and/or chance wise to the point it is a very memorable moment instead of finding 20 suits of it on a trash mob of skeletons.

For some reason many CRPG start out this way, but they almost all lose focus and end up just overwhelming you with crap and monsters at every turn. It becomes tedious and not very fun.

Last edited:
BROS, im having a blast again With Nexus the Jupiter incident

Edit:

forget it, don't need to bother answering... saw it explained by another poster further in thread... Looks good...

"yeah? I bought this game for like $1.99 awhile ago after hearing good things. I loaded it up once and it looked intriguing but I have not come back to it. What do you like about it?"

laclongquan

Arcane
Could someone recommend a game that I could play for 10-15 minutes and feel completely content and satisfied, without any need to keep playing until after a day or two? Nowadays I can't get into games that take too much time, but I still would like to play something occasionally.
Try Breach & Clear.

A level usually doesn't take that long. I sometimes play for 40 minutes and sometimes only 15 minutes, all depending on my mood.
Or Kingdom of Dragon Pass. It's compact enough you can realize situation and your old intention from loading a save. It's quick enough you can accomplish something in 15 minutes: a heroquest, a major recon effort, a sending caravan....

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

I really like Icewind dale, but this bro has a good point. I fell like he does about almost every CRPG ever designed. For me the beginning, low level and well designed areas of most D&D RPG's is where the real fun exists, and these areas usually draw me into the world and give me the feeling I first experienced while playing real D&D for the first time back in the day.

The problem almost all of these games have though is they quickly lose focus and go to shit and just overwhelm you with trash mobs and magical crap. I guess they think this is epic and/or is what people want. Its probably true that many people say they want this, but the reality is that the more controlled and less mounty-haul type design almost invariably ends up being a more enjoyable and immersive experience.

I have always wanted to design modules or games for this very purpose- to create an entire run of linked modules or adventures that move more slowly and deliberately through a well designed world while giving much less gold, and magical items in general. In fact I much prefer games where even getting one suit of plate mail is extremely difficult both cost wise and/or chance wise to the point it is a very memorable moment instead of finding 20 suits of it on a trash mob of skeletons.

For some reason many CRPG start out this way, but they almost all lose focus and end up just overwhelming you with crap and monsters at every turn. It becomes tedious and not very fun.
Gothic / Risen series are like that. Few, but meaningful upgrades / loot, and magic is low key.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom