Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Deleted member 7219

Completed Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Really enjoyed it. Put some of my thoughts together in the Codex thread.

Gave up on Final Fantasy XIII. I am so close to the end, about to go into Orphan or whatever's it called, but I just can't face the combat any more. So much HP bloat and boss health regens.

Can't play Pillars of Eternity expansion due to performance issues, so I think I'll play The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav.

User was nabbed fit

Nuclear Throne -- awesome for when you don't have a lot of time.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag -- for when I have a bit more time to sit down, and because it's actually quite cool being a pirate.

panzertoter

Arcane
War Thunder air realistic battles - after Gaijin managed to fix the wobble problem, it's nearly a perfect game (russian planes being the mightiest wamachines ever flown is still a big issue).

deuxhero

Arcane
Jade Empire is pretty underrated. It has serious issues like how money has almost no use from start to end (you can buy a single digit increase to a derived stats, with penalties to others, that a starting character has ~300 of, new styles which come too late to level and you have no reason to use over earlier ones, and gems that are worthless comapred to ones you find) and the paths still being pretty derp, but a lot of the sidequests (though lacking in C&C) and NPCs are pretty memorable which the game world is well designed. Combat is neatish.

If you are thinking of playing it, you have to use the Jade Empire In Style Mod. It nicely fixes how money is worthless, allows you to learn a lot more styles early on, the shortage of style points making leveling more 4 or so styles pointless and adds a few new styles. Also whatever you do don't choose Perfect Strike as your starting style: The reach is terrible despite being the "balanced" style and it makes combat suck more than it should.

DramaticPopcorn

Jade empire ran absolutely horrible on AMD computers back in the days.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Steam Marines and Bionic Dues.

They're actually very similar in a lot of ways.

Not sure which one is better - they both have horrific presentation from aesthetics to the UI's. Gameplay is a mixed bag.
So how is Steam Marines going, I find it quite hard on the second level already, with the bots that can be only flanked.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I completed Until dawn for the PS4 a couple of days ago. Pretty surprising experience. I really enjoyed the plot, the characters ant the situations. On the other hand, the gameplay could be a lot more exploited by adding some puzzles, i'st all about exploring and examinating items an archives. Definitively my second favorite PS4 game only behind Bloodborne.

And Ashley mah new waifu:

until-dawn_4f.jpg

:desu:

pippin

I tried to play Kotor but the blandness was a bit too much for me and ended up uninstalling it. I was slowly starting to feel I was playing a Bioware game AGAIN. I might pick it up again in the future, though.

Started a new Dragonfall DC game to prepare for Hong Kong, haven't bought it yet but I plan to do so.

And as the main event I finally started PoE. Reached Defiance Bay, I think I have played it for like 10 hours. The combat is rather uncomfortable, which is weird because I never had a problem with IE and it's quite obvious Obsidian wanted to ape the RtwP concept as it appeared in those games. I like the rest, though.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Been playing a lot of FO: NV. Got to about level 34 at the moment. Got up to until the mission involving the dam in the main quest, and then decided I should do some DLC stuff. I enjoyed The Lonesome Road quite a bit. I then switched to Old World Blues, but got a bit turned off by the totally different tone: much more goody with a focus on "Science!", as opposed to Lonesome Road's grit and interweaving personal histories. That, coupled with the fact that I am already way overpowered made me put if off for the time being.

Been playing a bit of CS GO to blow off some steam after work. Just as repetitive fun as ever.
Tried to play some WH 40K: DoW online, but I kept being kicked and/or having other issues, so I ended up playing some single player skirmishes. Got my ass kicked in 4 FFA, after my base ended up being placed between two other enemies. Good times

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Torchlight 2. Took me few months.
What a slog. It supposed to be "netbook friendly game" then fights turn into LSD party hard, full of sparkes and other shitny crap, giving single digit framerate per second.
Camera is the worst. Combined with lagging hitboxes, that make maneuvering harder, make it worse. My character perised numerous time because whole screen was covered in hitbox of nearby enemy (his size - 1/4 of the screen).
Plus nasty surprises like rendering enemies few steps ahead, which doesn't stop them from firing barrage or charging at you.
Thank goodness death mean nothing here. Otherwise I would get mad from bullshit situations.
I ended game with ~350 deaths. Fucks given - zero.
Oh and ActIII is trv slog, two times longer than previous two acts, thanks to the "oh, something went wrong, we need/I don't get you in until you bring".
There are 4 difficulty settings but playing anything below 3rd (Veteran) is dangerously boring (like the base game was interesting in the first place.
Game is about overleveling your enemies, otherwise - prepare for long battles.
Still would play it instead of PoE.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm close to finishing Torchlight 1. Now that's a slog alright, I loved Torchlight 2 but this was always a mess I couldn't finish. Now I swore to do it.

Oh boy, TL1 was so boring (I made mistake by choosing lower dificulty setting than Veteran) I stopped playing h'n's for years.
Thanks to the Diablo: The Hell bad breaths fade away...

Humppaleka

Cipher
I remember trying out TL1 on Veteran some time ago. I think it made it even worse by adding the amount of insta-deaths and insane HP bloat. Even on Hard the ridiculous spike in unavoidable hit-scan/homing attacks which melt your HP pool away was painful enough in the later levels.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Playing MGSV. Overall I'd say that this is a very different beast from the other games. Lot more reliance on grand orchestral music, mixed in with period music. Liking the open-world so far, but riding on horseback is a bit awkward, especially trying to get into a hiding position on one. Movement on-foot and sneaking is all solid, however, and there are dozens of different options for you to complete an objective.

what about plot and cutscenes? i always thought the first mgs was utterly retarded and with sequels it's worsened and worsened.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
what about plot and cutscenes? i always thought the first mgs was utterly retarded and with sequels it's worsened and worsened.
Cutscenes employ a more handheld, continuous-shot style than the prior games. The codecs have been removed in favor of optional cassette tapes that dump exposition on you as opposed to 10-20 minute long cutscenes thus far (though I've only played around 3 hours). Haven't really cut that deep into plot yet, but the opening tutorial is a good hook.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rocket League

best derpy time sink evar
Yeah, it's good old stupid fun. I haven't played in a couple of weeks (PS4), but it is a lot of fun when you play with players that aren't egos. I've screamed so much while playing this game.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Finished Stasis. It's a really atmospheric and beautifully designed. The puzzle design was really good: no contrived adventure game puzzles, and just challenging enough to make the game satisfying. I only needed two hints, not outright solutions, which is good considering my adventure game track record.

how gory is it? it piqued my interest months ago but the screenshots shown nothing about what i've been hearing. i'm not really a fan of guts and blood, i literally spilled mine enough already.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
how gory is it? it piqued my interest months ago but the screenshots shown nothing about what i've been hearing. i'm not really a fan of guts and blood, i literally spilled mine enough already.
It's got disturbing elements, but the gore level is not too bad; not worse than most R rated movies. Some more details, with some spoilers, but not plot related:
There is a lot of blood on the floors and walls and there are many bodies, but it's an isometric game so nothing is seen up close. Most of the gore is static, as part of the background.
There are also two or three body part puzzles.
I found that the written logs were usually more intense than what was rendered on screen.
A word of advice: I didn't try it, but the game results in the protagonist commuting suicide if using certain items on himself.
I tend to be very squeamish about gore (I don't watch horror movies) and was able to finish it.
There is one puzzle that was more intense than anything else:
A timed-based puzzle where the protagonist is using a surgery computer to operate on his spine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom