Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

TripJack

Hedonist
I came in expecting a game that was about sneaking in high security places
thief is a game about sneaking in high security places it's just that sometimes the security is zombies and clinking whispering laughing armored skeletons instead of boring old humans :lol:

but fair enough if that's not your thing

baturinsky

Arcane
Btw, fight is stupidly easy in both Thief 1/2. You just strafe behind the enemy and smack him a dozen times while he is fencing with the air.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
That depends on what you're fighting. Most enemies can be dealt with that way, but not all.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Gauntlet and more Gauntlet. Wasteland 2 when I can drum up a reason to do so, which is rare. Last time I played (melee) enemies ganged up on another side of a wall, which I could promptly shoot through. Like shooting fish in... on... on another side of a wall. And then I ran into some ranged enemies who promptly sprinted alllllll the way down off their towers/high-ground and ran allllll the way around a cliff face and up the hill and across the jutted rock just to stand next to my guys. With his sniper rifle. Fucking wicked AI, yo.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just playing eador. I'm just on shard where I can get Monstrologist guild, when I win the shard.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kenshi.

Was up and about building a base, repelling bandits, and then the messed up pathfinding buggers it all to Prosperland and back.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
A mix of Black & White 1 (still amazing more than a decade later, was so ahead of its time on so many areas), Age of Wonders 3 and Legend of Grimrock.

sbb

Learned
Gauntlet and more Gauntlet. Wasteland 2 when I can drum up a reason to do so, which is rare. Last time I played (melee) enemies ganged up on another side of a wall, which I could promptly shoot through. Like shooting fish in... on... on another side of a wall. And then I ran into some ranged enemies who promptly sprinted alllllll the way down off their towers/high-ground and ran allllll the way around a cliff face and up the hill and across the jutted rock just to stand next to my guys. With his sniper rifle. Fucking wicked AI, yo.
Damn, you've got 15 hours on Gauntlet. I don't think I'll ever make it there, what's been driving you?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Damn, you've got 15 hours on Gauntlet. I don't think I'll ever make it there, what's been driving you?

A sense of fun, mostly.

sbb

Learned

A sense of fun, mostly.
Huh.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just bought Super Smash Bros. 4, beat Beneath a Steel Sky, and I'm going to start playing Wasteland 1. For some reason I'm still on the 2nd story of Front Mission 1, so I should beat that so I can FINALLY get on to my other DS games.

Super Smash Bros. 4 is a perfect fit for just wanting to play something on the go, but that "slider" thing can be a real pain. Probably one of my first purchases for a full-priced game that I actually enjoy - how about that. Beneath a Steel Sky was surprisingly short, even for a guy that's shit at puzzles, and the story was pretty good. I'm off to a good start on Wasteland 1 - dying. It's a real treat. Next time perhaps I'll make my own team instead of being a lazy bastard and going in guns-blazing.

I was also playing The Witcher, but it didn't hold my interest that much. Alchemy and stuff was great, but those MMO-like quests is really keeping me away.

Codexers enjoying video games??? THE HORROR!!!

"RPGCodex. Everything is shit, sometimes."

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was also playing The Witcher, but it didn't hold my interest that much. Alchemy and stuff was great, but those MMO-like quests is really keeping me away.

Yeah, the quests are mostly boring. It's a shame. I still like the game though, for atmosphere and the stand-out quests that do exist.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yeah, the quests are mostly boring. It's a shame. I still like the game though, for atmosphere and the stand-out quests that do exist.

Truth. I had more fun reading the monster lore than actually fighting the monsters.

Combat isn't outright bad either, but it's just so unfocused. It's like the devs asked themselves: "to ARPG, or not ARPG, that is the question..." - and kept saying that as a mantra through the course of development. It didn't help that they used the Aurora Engine of all things. I heard Witcher 2 went full ARPG (for the worse) so I kind of wish they just decided to improve what they had in mind. Maybe remove auto-targeting but keep the timing based combat? Ah well, it's in the past.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Truth. I had more fun reading the monster lore than actually fighting the monsters.

Combat isn't outright bad either, but it's just so unfocused. It's like the devs asked themselves: "to ARPG, or not ARPG, that is the question..." - and kept saying that as a mantra through the course of development. It didn't help that they used the Aurora Engine of all things. I heard Witcher 2 went full ARPG (for the worse) so I kind of wish they just decided to improve what they had in mind. Maybe remove auto-targeting but keep the timing based combat? Ah well, it's in the past.

Witcher 2 having worse combat really depends on whether you like action games or not. I personally prefer its moderately good action combat, roll-focused as it may be, over the pretty non-existent combat in the original game. I mean, it has no tactics, it has no challenge, it has no action, it's just there. I think that's a greater crime.

bussinrounds

Augur
Anything had to be better than that timing your clicks bullshit in the first Witcher. :retarded:

Why not just have some restraint and not roll around on the ground constantly in 2 ? (haven't played it)

Would the combat still be shit ? It's gotta be more than just the rolling that makes it suck, no ?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Btw, fight is stupidly easy in both Thief 1/2. You just strafe behind the enemy and smack him a dozen times while he is fencing with the air.

There are some games which I feel can be said are objectively excellent, and Thief is one of them.

I can say with utmost sincerety and conviction that whoever doesn't like Thief has bad taste in games.

Whoever actively hates Thief is a raving dumbfuck.

And whoever actively hates Thief for "reasons" such as "the combat is easy!!!" or "the levels are corridors!!!" ought to be shot on sight.

Diablo169

Arcane
Currently playing New Vegas through since i've never sat down and actually dug into the game for more then a few hours. Bizzarely enough looking at the steam group Infinitron is playing it too.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why not Tropico 4? Serious question. I remember liking 1 but never tried the others, but I figure 4 > 3.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Playing some Fantasy General after not having touched it for several years. Unfortunately, I can't get the music to play even after mounting the CD image in DOSBox.

Edit: found solution to music issue here. It turns out I had to mount the iso as CUE/BIN pair.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom