Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Finally finished Shadowrun Returns. It pretty much turned out the way I expected. Just a fun RPG romp through one of my favorite PnP settings. I liked the ending too. Fitting heh. And story was half-way decent also. Will play the Dragon DLC next (since I got it for free for backing this).
I've heard dragonfall is miles better. I thought dead man's drop was decent, but nothing more. I suppose it didn't help that I played through it as a decker. The music sure was catchy, though.

sbb

Learned
How long is Dragonfall compared to Dead Man's Switch? I can feel Dead Man's Switch ending on me, and it was too short for me to give a damn about my stats after a point.

DeepOcean

Arcane
How long is Dragonfall compared to Dead Man's Switch? I can feel Dead Man's Switch ending on me, and it was too short for me to give a damn about my stats after a point.
It's longer because it has more missions and the missions are way more complex than one or two regular combat encounters with a straight line between them.

sbb

Learned
Cool. Is it really true you can't level up your party members yourself? (Patched...??)

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Prince of Persia - The Forgotten Sands

Pros:

- Good old formula again: traps, huge mechanisms, jumps / acrobatics make 99% of the gameplay.
- Water skill is fun to use. Mostly (see below).
- Upgrade system is interesting, if a little bit basic.
- Graphics are mostly great artistic-wise (Persian architecture, etc.).
- Bullshit (romances, DRAMA) is kept to minimum.

Cons:

- Some controls are streamlined too much (precision not needed): combat, jumping from poles, moving on tight ledges.
- On the other hand, sometimes controls require a hardly-achievable level of precision / timing (jump + dash into enemies, water puzzles based on freeze / unfreeze).
- Way to much combat: large, weak mobs + upgradable attacks = bore. Esp. after getting the talking sword.
- Too much barrel breaking, I liked previous mechanics of replenishing health/time bars more (drinking water, etc.).
- DAT traps are generally much more dangerous than enemies (drain your sand banks / health quickly).
- Some fights against stronger mid-bosses are retarded (powerful fag + mob of weaker enemies) - if you start them with low hp/time banks, you're fucked. And these are often preceded by unskippable cutscenes...
- Autosave works decent (for the most part) still, it’s a broken mechanic in such game: if you reach some difficult part while low on sand / health, dealing with it would be much more difficult than in the opposite situation. And you can’t go to “earlier” save since there’s no such thing.
- UI in PC version relies on mouse / keyboard, even when you use a gamepad to control the protagonist ingame.
- The game is too linear for my taste (one linear „corridor” from start to end) – Warrior Within had some optional sections / backtracking / etc. and it was the best game in series.
- Second part of the game (Djinn city and final stage) is IMO worse than the first part (up to the 2nd fight against Ratash).
- Ending is weak / anticlimactic.

tl;dr

:3/5:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They should just do a Prince of Persia with platforming only and maybe only have two or three fights that are more like puzzles than actual fights.

spekkio

Arcane
Either that, or make a proper / complex combat system. Something only WW tried, AFAIR (I had to think while fighting, instead of just pressing random buttons to win).

garren

Arcane
Patron
Blackguards. I'm in the beginning of second act and god the second arena fight is kicking my ass. A really hard to hit bitch with a poisoned mace keeps fucking me up while her mage friend blasts me with fireballs from afar. And she also heals herself with +15hp potions when she gets low on health. Meanwhile all my equipment is stolen and I'm wearing some mediocre gladiator armor which is the only armor I get, and I also don't get any potions at all. Try to ignore the fighter and kill the mage first? Good luck she has the talent which gives her attacks of opportunity and she won't leave your skin alone. All while the mage runs circles around you.
:x :rage:
Maybe I should just lower the difficulty from hard to something easier, though I hate to do that in games..

garren

Arcane
Patron
You're probably thinking the dwarf games. I'm talking about the second act main quest where you get captured and get sold as slaves, you lose all your equipment (including potions), and have to get by what they give you. Only gladiator armor, no potions.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're probably thinking the dwarf games. I'm talking about the second act main quest where you get captured and get sold as slaves, you lose all your equipment (including potions), and have to get by what they give you. Only gladiator armor, no potions.
I had to replay that battle like five times. I just had to rely on luck.

Greenthumb

Literate
Blackguards. I'm in the beginning of second act and god the second arena fight is kicking my ass. A really hard to hit bitch with a poisoned mace keeps fucking me up while her mage friend blasts me with fireballs from afar. And she also heals herself with +15hp potions when she gets low on health. Meanwhile all my equipment is stolen and I'm wearing some mediocre gladiator armor which is the only armor I get, and I also don't get any potions at all. Try to ignore the fighter and kill the mage first? Good luck she has the talent which gives her attacks of opportunity and she won't leave your skin alone. All while the mage runs circles around you.
:x :rage:
Maybe I should just lower the difficulty from hard to something easier, though I hate to do that in games..

Not sure if it will help but what I did was keep my party together and I didn't advance past the traps. I positioned all my character in a line and let the enemies advance past the trap-filled field. Some of them got poisoned by the traps while I hit them with spells and ranged attack.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
I just finished Mars: War Logs. The rather slim budget was very noticable in places and other times it was very easy to forget that you were playing a game with a flawed translation developed by poor but talented frogs. What's more remarkable is the amount of C&C that they against reason and cost concerns managed to implement. It's like a Bioware game but done right with choices followed through, quests can disappear, major characters live and die, characters entirely change their stance to you, different encounters and such, it's very impressive coming from a small studio. I think it helped that they didn't expect to make a sequel so instead of playing it safe like many Bioware games do they went all in. Atmospheric, surprising and fun if somewhat cheap.

:4/5: for what it is.

Had a nice soundtrack too.

Has anyone given Bound by Flame a go, if so is it any good? Finishing this made me want more of the same.

Sodafish

Arcane
Just finished KotC.

trololol dat final boss. Barely scraped through with a ludicrously kitted out lvl 20 party with 2 knights, 1 cleric, 1 mage. Would be so much easier with 2 wizards. Clerics are pretty shit in this game for anything other than healing until they get mass harm. Insect plague can be useful too I suppose.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dunno why but i started Age of Empires 3. I wasn't able to play it back then because of shitty computer syndrome.
Having good fun while blasting other empires with Ottoman heavy canons, janissaries and sipahis.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
dark-souls-2-crown-of-the-sunken-king.jpg

:negative:

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Finished Shadowrun Returns last night as an SMG-toting decker, quite nice atmosphere, but man, what a railroaded experience. It reminded me a lot of the Witcher in that it constantly felt like it was in tutorial mode. Unlike the Witcher, though, you couldn't even move around town. Amusingly, they also felt the need to include a quest compass, even though runs were restricted to corridor-shootan crap. All in all, I sure missed the freedom of the Sega Genesis game where you could stroll around the districts as you pleased, not to mention making some sweet corporate runs on the side.

Still, will probably try Dragonfall now since it's supposed to be better than the OC.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I recently played Fable 3... What?

Pros:

- It runs on ancient computers.
- You can play as a tranny. A 7 foot tall linebacker tanny.
- Combat is like Twitcher 2! Roll, roll, roll, roll....
- You can fart at people. That and the other interactions make you wonder if the game was designed by 14 year old schoolboys.
- You can have meaningful emotional engaging romances with almost every NPC running around by... dancing with them until they marry you!
- Meaningful C&C halfway in: betray your allies by keeping child labor, draining a lake and cut ALL the trees! (That's was actually a game design I liked)
- You get an insight at how consoltards define an RPG!
- No Mudcrabs

Cons:

- No Mudcrabs
- The gameplay is shit.
- I wasted many precious hours of my life.
- Why did I even aquire it?

Don't buy it, pirate it or accept it as a gift! I only played it because that rig couldn't handle Twitcher 2. Should have installed Arcanum instead.

On the bright side, whatever I will play next will shine without much effort.

:1/5:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I was after some mindless clicking and tried a diablo II clone. Titan Quest, jesus, the guys who made this game give the "asset recycling" expression another meaning. I stopped at act 3 and I was still fighting enemies from fucking act one. It was ratmen, wolfmen, goat men, dune raiders, demonic goblins and all kinds of uninspired monsters and the ones that are "different" have absolutely the same behavior from prvious versions. The first bosses are absolutely pathetic and some are just oversized versions of normal enemies, they do no damage and have a massive HP bar making the fights against them really boring.

I had forgotten how the idea of playing first on piss easy mode for retarded people then repeat the same content two times to start getting some challenge was a completely retarded idea. Imagine a game with a mythology based theme with the Gods not talking with you or you don't meeting any unique mythological creature or hero and not a single interesting fight. There isn't a single interesting thing to do on this game. There are a ton of ability trees but all skills are underwhelming as fuck, you use some skill called volcanic orb and expect some pretty lights and animations just to see and underwhelming fire projectile that you only see it had done something on the enemies because their life bars was lower afterwards.

What a fucking waste of a really good premise. Anyone that played Grim Dawn, did they learned anything from this game and fixed the boring monsters, boring loot, boring skills problem? Tell me it's different from this thing. It is a pity I wasted five dollars on this thing.

Eddas

Learned
Finished Shadowrun Returns last night as an SMG-toting decker, quite nice atmosphere, but man, what a railroaded experience. It reminded me a lot of the Witcher in that it constantly felt like it was in tutorial mode. Unlike the Witcher, though, you couldn't even move around town. Amusingly, they also felt the need to include a quest compass, even though runs were restricted to corridor-shootan crap. All in all, I sure missed the freedom of the Sega Genesis game where you could stroll around the districts as you pleased, not to mention making some sweet corporate runs on the side.

Still, will probably try Dragonfall now since it's supposed to be better than the OC.
Wait for the standalone version. If you already have Dragonfall it will be free.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom