Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Replaying through Metal Gear Solid (on the ePSXe) for the first time in... maybe over a decade. It's still a surprisingly tight, well designed game - there's very little filler and the boss fights still hold up well, though the controls are just as awkward as they ever were (particularly movement) but you get used to them after awhile. Plus, the story's pretty decent (the only problems I have with the writing are the odd repetition during dialogues ["I need a sniper rifle!" "A sniper rifle?"; "That must be Psycho Mantis!" "Psycho Mantis?"] and most of the bosses giving you their life's history after you defeat them) and the voice acting is good.

Always laughed at the briefing part where Snake says, "Liquid Snake?!", followed by Campbell repeating, "Liquid Snake...".
Yes, and they do this in every MGS game. God bless Kojima and his awkward dialogues.

baturinsky

Arcane
The infusions are useless though. You get blinded, pop the infusion, and it cures something like the glowing from a sun rune instead. You get poisoned and instead of curing the massively deadly poison that prevents healing, it fixes the one slowing your movement slightly. Etc.

I could probably win by cheesing the fuck out of the game, blind firing AoE spells around corners at the limits of my range for hours to kill shit I can't even see, but fuck that. I want to react to things, not implement some cheese strat where I never actually fight anything.

Don't even get me started on the joys of playing a melee class (like wyrmic) and not finding a single decent weapon all game long until you die because you're using some fucking tier 2 piece of shit at level 25.

Maybe you should try playing in Adventurer mode (i.e. with several lives)?

Astral Rag

Arcane
All it took was copy sof.exe into another directory, change the original one to "mohaa.exe", then copy back sof.exe, launch the game through mohaa.exe. It works.

WHAT IN THE EVERLOVING FUCK, HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE???

Same kind of weird fix for Sin (for nvidia users at least). Just rename sin.exe to quake2.exe and play without issues. Has something to do with black magic and possibly also with drivers and extension limits.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
@ fixing old games via renaming exe files - probably driver compatibility settings for certain executables (nvidia does this, even when exe isn't listed - you don't have the game installed):

QLa03IV.jpg

Notice "Silent Hunter 3" when the game actually installed is Silent Hill 3.

just finished state of decay. really liked it despite the countless flaws. shit ending.

just started banner saga. if the whole game is anything like the first two chapters, i'm going to be bored fast.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alae Jacta Est and Age of Decadence. Can't get enough of games that involve ancient history (or at least have an ancient theme combined with fantastic writing).

i reached the tower in chapter 3 of the banner saga and i had enough already.
is the game going to be interesting anytime soon?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
i reached the tower in chapter 3 of the banner saga and i had enough already.
is the game going to be interesting anytime soon?
If you don't like it because of combat and graphics/art then no, it wont' get better. The story (and to be honest everythinh else) is crap in this game - everything except the two things i already mentioned.

Wasting time on Swords of the Stars: the Pit (a commercial graphic roguelike, rather poorly designed imo - and yet i enjoy playing it) after i beat DoomRL on HMP for the first time.

actually i liked the atmosphere and the writing, so brutal, but i found the game too lacking to continue. and filled with endless downtimes and unexplainably long loading screens.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, maybe i should have added - the setting and atmosphere are ok too. Otoh gameplay outside combat and the story are pretty bad and they don't get better later. The story is somewhat interesting at the beginning but devolves quickly into "save the world from the ultimate evil - in three parts !".

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Stalker: Lost Alpha
After long and high hyped release I didn't played that much. Seems like my annual limit of stalkering is burned out. Game is obviously flawed, unbalanced but still fun, yet after wasting so much hours with Sigerous Mods for Call of Pripyat have side effects.

7,62 High Calibre with Blue Sun Mod 2.1
Less problems this time. Seems like they added randomly generated content for crates and containers. Hope it will no make troubles with quests, where important item will not generate or something.
And yeah, it work better on desktop. And camera control is as much clustered as NWN2, seriously...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Started playing Shadowrun Returns, first the base campaign, and I intend to play Dragonfall after that. Always liked the game, and this time I'm gonna finish it.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I've been doing Jedi Knight 2. It is every bad idea put into one game. Half of everything you walk on is a thin ledge. You get to wait for two hours before you get your lightsaber. Once you get your lightsaber, it puts you in a dark level so that the glow from the lightsaber is blinding. This level is also a large room full of snipers you can barely see. What a fucking waste of time.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I've been doing Jedi Knight 2. It is every bad idea put into one game. Half of everything you walk on is a thin ledge. You get to wait for two hours before you get your lightsaber. Once you get your lightsaber, it puts you in a dark level so that the glow from the lightsaber is blinding. This level is also a large room full of snipers you can barely see. What a fucking waste of time.
:rpgcodex:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Does it get good?

I want to use my fucking lightsaber and psi powers. I can't do that with snipers and a giant energy sword right in front of the camera.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So I just beat Arkham Asylum and City. Holy crap those are some good games. Can't believe I just got around to them. I may honestly get a PS4 for Arkham Knight when that comes out. Well either that or wait for the GOTY edition.

Unfortunately now I'm craving more and my only option is Origins which, supposed quality aside, I'm not paying for and I don't like pirating recent games that I don't own.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Does it get good?

I want to use my fucking lightsaber and psi powers. I can't do that with snipers and a giant energy sword right in front of the camera.
Had huge fun with it, the lightsaber is the best weapon but it isn't a I WIN button. Snipers gonna rape your ass if you don't move and other enemies can overhelm you with projectiles to deflect. The other weapons won't stop being useful and sometimes it is a good idea to use them. That section (Nar Shadaa?) with all those rooftops with snipers in them can be complicated but the best way to defeat the snipers is by returning the favour and use the sniper rifle yourself, this is the level with the most snipers in it, the next levels have very, very few of them. You get your powers back as you advance in the story and later you are able to reflect even sniper fire.

dunno lah

Arcane
Does it get good?

Had huge fun with it, the lightsaber is the best weapon but it isn't a I WIN button. Snipers gonna rape your ass if you don't move and other enemies can overhelm you with projectiles to deflect. The other weapons won't stop being useful and sometimes it is a good idea to use them. That section (Nar Shadaa?) with all those rooftops with snipers in them can be complicated but the best way to defeat the snipers is by returning the favour and use the sniper rifle yourself, this is the level with the most snipers in it, the next levels have very, very few of them. You get your powers back as you advance in the story and later you are able to reflect even sniper fire.

Wut? No you can't...and sexbad, are you using lightsaber in FPV? If you are then don't.

About the enemy sniper fire, I think they should've made the force dodging activate whenever your force meter is full instead of the bullshit randomized dodging.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I am averse to playing first-person games in third-person mode, but maybe I will try it. I like first-person melee a lot.

I did get past the first map in that level. Now I think there's some kind of assembly line thing, but I'm not motivated to continue. It's good if there won't be as many more snipers, though. They are extremely tedious.

In that level, did either of you have a problem with the music at the bar? It's that annoying song from one of the films, and for some reason it was playing out of sync from multiple speakers, like the bartender wanted to break my will.

dunno lah

Arcane
I've never noticed such a problem, but I last played this around '07... Dude, continue playing the game. It only gets better or at least more fun once you've gained more abilities and weapons. At least play until you're encountering dark jedi...

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Still playing Cataclysm off and on. Had a badass character die. A biker who made his own little fortress in the countryside, got some nice reptilian mutations, and was close to getting a motobike up and running. During a routine run to town to get supplies, some books, and a grenade launcher with 4 HE rounds; I was accosted by several wolves and a moose, who I shot with my MP5. I realized I was out of food, so I slaughtered them and started a fire. Realized I had salt and could make Jerky, which took a lot longer, so much longer that the fire started spreading and my biker passed out while cooking and burnt to death.

Such is life in the Cataclysm...

But wait!

I created a new character, an Otaku named Jimmy Sakura (Asthmatic, Near-Sighted, Strong Smell, Ugly) and was lucky enough to start in a shelter near the biker's place of death. Hooray!

"You hear an explosion to the north east."

Remember the grenade rounds? Yeah, the game sure did.

All that remained was the burnt MP5, some non-drowsy cough syrup, and a shredded pair of leather chaps.

Tipping his fuzzy cat ears in respect (And because the fire was still blazing and it was damn hot), the otaku took what remained and hit the road, looking for a place to call his own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom