Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you want to happen in 2009, but know it won't?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Yeah, they start to question stuff.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
LeStryfe79 said:
When I was in the Navy, I found most sailors could care less about their country. I've also found that most girls could care less about any kind of real romance. I guess this makes me a fucking cynic, but oh well...

No, no. Expecting people to care about those makes you an idealist.

Liberal

Barely Literate
A weapon of mass destruction that only slaughters idiots and communists. But I repeat myself.

BearBomber

Scholar
Liberal said:
A weapon of mass destruction that only slaughters idiots and communists.

This sentence makes no fucking sense. It's like saying "A weapon of mass destruction that only slaughters Asians and japs. "

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
- I discover a way to warp time and gain myself an extra 8 hours a day, which I use to finish my game without the pesky distractions of real life or sleep.

- The KOTOR MMO delivers on Bioware's promises. They create some wondrous piece of technology which actually creates an engaging, cohesive, long-term multiplayer narrative despite the crushing mass of fucktards who will be all over this game. Instead of the reality, which will be something like "Collect 5 rattlesnake skins and return to Yoda".

- Thief and Dues Ex sequels released, faithful to the originals while expanding and deepening gameplay. Joygasms abound.

- Dragon Age turns out to be BG3 wearing a different hat. More Joygasms.

- Dresden Files RPG in the same style as VTMB.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
No, sorry, butthurt person; Dresden Files is fanfiction-quality. Kind of like Twatlight/Laurell K. Hamilton/generic paranormal romance, except it's for boys.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
No, sorry, butthurt person; Dresden Files is fanfiction-quality. Kind of like Twatlight/Laurell K. Hamilton/generic paranormal romance, except it's for boys.

Sorry, for me to be butthurt I'd need to respect your opinion.

Now, seriously, you can run along Lezzie, the fact that you took a stand for "real literature" yet again has been duly noted.

Naked Ninja said:

Now, seriously, you can run along Lezzie, the fact that you took a stand for "real literature" yet again has been duly noted.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Naked Ninja said:

Ah, you care so little you keep replying. That'll show people how very, very little your regard my opinions. It's adorable. Hey, not my fault you have shitty reading tastes.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Ah, you care so little you keep replying. That'll show people how very, very little your regard my opinions. It's adorable. Hey, not my fault you have shitty reading tastes.

I care little of your opinion. Mocking you pretentious lit student types, well, that's just good fun on a Friday night, while I'm waiting for my DoW match to start.

Btw, I've been meaning to ask you, do you ever wear a black turtleneck jersey IRL? Or a beret?

Shoelip

Arbiter
Aw, they're trying to hurt each other's feelings. Isn't it precious? :lol:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Naked Ninja said:
I care little of your opinion. Mocking you pretentious lit student types, well, that's just good fun on a Friday night, while I'm waiting for my DoW match to start.

Yeah, exactly. That's how much you don't care. How. Very. Much. You. Don't. Care. Try harder to tell me how little you care.

Kek. You're not mocking me, you know. You're just overreacting to someone badmouthing something you like. No idea what you plebeian, pretending-to-be-cool types call that, but I call it defensive.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Yeah, exactly. That's how much you don't care. How. Very. Much. You. Don't. Care. Try harder to tell me how little you care.

Kek. You're not mocking me, you know. You're just overreacting to someone badmouthing something you like. No idea what you plebeian, pretending-to-be-cool types call that, but I call it defensive.

Seriously though. What brand of latte do you drink?

hiver

Lesifoere said:
Do you realize how this looks in the contest of your accusations?

very funny!

Lesifoere said:

Uhh and VtMB is serious literary art? A piece doen't have to be Nostromo/Metropolis/Faust to be a good basis for a game...

...and unless you're a complete moron you were already aware of that. Which means you were just dropping literary criticism as a trying-to-look-subtle-but-really-as-subtle-as-a-giftwrapped-chainsaw way of playing yourself up:)

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that something has to be either REAL HIGHBROW LITERASHURE or fanfiction-quality dreck. Help me understand, here. See, Twatlight/Dresden Files etc are fanfiction-quality dreck that I think isn't even entertaining to read: they're just bad, dull, and embarrassing. VtM:Bloodlines isn't serious literature, but the writing's still fun and well-done in its context. "X is a pile of tripe/of fanfiction quality" isn't literary criticism unless you went to a genuinely terrible school. It's a comment, and no more "dropping literary criticism as a trying-to-look-subtle-whatthefuckever" than is "Gaider can't write for shit."

Or else I don't speak Blithering Fucktard well enough to get this across. I wouldn't know.

Lesifoere said:
I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that something has to be either REAL HIGHBROW LITERASHURE or fanfiction-quality dreck. Help me understand, here. See, Twatlight/Dresden Files etc are fanfiction-quality dreck that I think isn't even entertaining to read: they're just bad, dull, and embarrassing. VtM:Bloodlines isn't serious literature, but the writing's still fun and well-done in its context. "X is a pile of tripe/of fanfiction quality" isn't literary criticism unless you went to a genuinely terrible school. It's a comment, and no more "dropping literary criticism as a trying-to-look-subtle-whatthefuckever" than is "Gaider can't write for shit."

Or else I don't speak Blithering Fucktard well enough to get this across. I wouldn't know.

No no, you're getting your point across fine. I'm just too busy laughing at the idea of someone criticising the quality of writing of, well, ANYTHING, whilst also ranking VTMB writing above fanfiction. It's good for a computer game, but put it in a book or TV or film and its fanfiction-quality, every bit as much as Dresden Files.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
It seems my lack of fluency in Blithering Fucktard may have hindered me again. You see, I said "please no" to a Dresden Files RPG because I think Dresden Files is boring, and that such an RPG wouldn't be desirable. That has no bearing whatsoever on my opinion of VTMB, and in fact indicates nothing about my opinion of VTMB.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Azrael the cat said:
...It's good for a computer game, but put it in a book or TV or film and its fanfiction-quality, every bit as much as Dresden Files.

Huwaaaaa? It may be that this point isn't raised in THIS thread but in ANOTHER one, but it sums up that writing for one medium is different than writing for another. Stuff isn't a perfect transfer, but there's a reasonable standard of quality, I believe, that can apply to writing in a very general sense before settling on the specifics.

When you're talking about transferring a SETTING, I think you need to look beyond "oy vey, Author X can't write dialogue to save his fucking life" to "ok, is there anything compelling in this setting that someone who'd never heard of it before would give a flying shit about?" For Twilight, what do you have? Sparkly vampires and native American werewolves. BLARF. Go for World of Darkness, they've got a stronger base. Unless you're going to make a Twilight dating sim, in which case I'm going to grab a horde of knives, find whoever will be responsible for it, and stab in them places that haven't even been INVENTED yet.

THAT BEING SAID: I guess I'm trying to say that there's a difference between saying "the Dresden Files have rad writing" and "I'd totally play a Dresden Files RPG". Setting versus content. Like - there's stuff about the Forgotten Realms that I think is the stupidest stupid that has ever been stupid, but I had that setting to work with, so I dug out parts of it that I thought was pretty interesting and focused on those. And shit on it if you will, but while I like Harry Potter books okay, I don't think the setting is well-defined enough to really make a compelling game for it where YOU ARE NOT HARRY POTTER. Just not enough there.

Also I admit my own butt-hurt-ness because the quoted statement inherently assumes game writing is by nature inferior to TV or film writing. You're saying Epic Movie or Two-and-a-Half Men are - by virtue of their medium - better writing than Fallout 2? That's a stabbin' offense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom