Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird gaming habits

anything that is able to be named by me is almost always poo and/or anus and/or vagina related

all my planets in sins of a solar empire are named after fecal related activities for example

Poopy Bum and Scabby Vag are popular choices for char names

good times

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
anything that is able to be named by me is almost always poo and/or anus and/or vagina related

all my planets in sins of a solar empire are named after fecal related activities for example

good times
Why did you take so long to join the codex? You belong here.

KevinV12000

Arcane
I always focus on stealth. If I can't be a stealthy guy, I generally don't like the game.

Favorite game of all time = Thief and Thief II: The Metal Age.

If I can complete a mission without anyone seeing me at all, I am very happy about it.

In real life, though a big guy, people are constantly saying they didn't see me or hear me. In my head I hear "ding".

Real life also gets a bit fuzzy for me in the early morning after a long night gaming. For example, one time I was harvesting jum jum in Everquest II late at night and in the morning these small shrubs that line my driveway appeared to be flashing. Last week, after a long night of playing Fallout 4, I passed a fire extinguisher in the parking garage where I work and my immediate thought was: Nice, press E.

I *may* need help.

I too have a need to play earlier games in a series before later ones. For example, I played a few hours of MGS5, decided I liked it, then immediately quit to play most of the series up to that point (though I had already played MGR:R without a need to check the whole series out). This can be avoided if the series has discrete chunks or continuity breaks (e.g., I started Ultima with 4).

I also have a problem picking RPGs and long-term strategy games back up in the middle of a game if I've stopped playing for more than a week or so. Just sets me out of the right frame of mind, remembering everything I was doing and all of the characters and stuff. NWN2 almost killed me on my quest to get to play MotB, took like 3 aborted attempts for me to plow through the whole thing.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I don't get people who have dozen of games installed on HDD, seeing desktop thread 2015 make me feel strange.
I did had that habit before, when I did not bothered with finishing games (for 3? years I managed to finish maybe 2-3 games, 10 and 25h each) but now I reduced this number significantly, even though I have 1TB HDD and 1/3 of free space.
And if I manage to run it month(s) later - I already forgot what to, where to go and how to control things (mostly in old games) do inb4 Alzheimer. I just want to avoid situation, where I start game after long pause (weeks, months) and need to learn control and where to go, what was my future character progress etc.
No matter what I always keep only one cRPG and FPS on HDD installed.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'll see a game previewed. This initial preview intrigues me. This initial preview, therefore, is of some import to what happens down the line.

More information comes out. Yikes, that looks like bad design, but, you know, the idea of the game is still pretty nice sounding.

Even more info! Wow, I wouldn't have done that. Also, these images look much shittier than the ones shown before.

Developer blogs! They sound and write like idiots! Hmm, more bad ideas, too. Oh well, still a nice looking game.

*GAME IS RELEASED*

Hmm, lots of people complaining about bugs and overall bad design. I guess I'll wait and see what happens there.

Fuck it, let's watch a bit of YouTube, but not too much to spoil the experience.

Based on my prior experiences and what I know about myself, I instinctively know I will not like this game.

But let's stare at the game on Steam for months on end anyway with memories of it washing in and out, good and bad blending together.

Watch more YouTube. Still looks not at all like something I'd enjoy. Why do I keep checking these vids though?

Steam sale hits!

*browses, finds game, buys game, installs game*

*plays game for five minutes*

Fuck my life. I was right all along.

uninstall

Rinse. Repeat.

Felix

Arcane
Restarting before dying, can't let them get the satisfaction of showing me the game over screen.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
If I drop the game for any reason, I tend to restart it and play it in the same way I did on the first run.
This means I finish quests in the same order, explore stuff in the same order, etc.

The best examples are my attempts to beat Fallout: New Vegas (and because of Yes Man/Benny quest bug I dropped the game about 3 or 4 times :negative:).

TOME

Cuckmaster General
My chars are always women and magic users (or if magic is not possible then stealth/ranged). I don't think I have ever played melee char if had the option choose something else. In Path of Exile I can't play marauder or shadow or what male/melee chars there are, I always play witch or scion, even though all the skills are magic.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

good times

I think one of your shitty characters has appeared on Rick and Morty.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
If i'm playing a really hard as nuts game, and start making stupid mistakes and letting me anger get better of me, i'll find that old one eye'll awake and up periscope to have a look around. Real weird frustration boner, last had on Volgarr the Viking.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

good times

:what:

just started up a new char in underrail....

11F3930BA4AA4B14798FD84415B52FBA9F3EBA75

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
OK everyone of you is a little bit crazy and have at least one weird habit connected with gaming so... share let us share with our madness!

I have a strong urge to run stuff with minimal resources engagement... it gives me a creepy feel of orgasmic pleasure... and guaranteen a butthurt when resources are wasted. It maybe related to the fact I rarely upgraded my hardware, bein stuck with Pentium 200MMX machine for almost 10 years and learned to squeeze every bit of bit, running things on rig that was about half of their officials system requirements...

Example?

It gives me a boner just of think that such weak hardware as P133 16MB RAM machine can run Myth, a game with huge 3D environment and such complex physics without a single choke or framedrop - it's like McGyverian trick of creating avesumness out of crap that's lying around.

Or Donkey Kong Country pirate port that bring SNES graphics to fucking famiclone!

On the other hand, I'm greatly annoyed by bad ports when PC that's technically much better than its console counterparts is given a multiplatform geam that runs like crap on lowest setting... and much worse thing is emulation. My mind goes onto that way - e.g. I'm playing Strange Journey on DS emulator, having fun BUT it's a big disadvantage just to think that if this this game was made straight for the PC it would required not 1GHZ processor with 1GHz RAM but something around P100 with 16 MB RAM... what a waste of hardware.

Damn, back in a day if game was DOS/WIN compatibile such as Doom, Duke3D, (NonGL) Quake I used to run it in pure DOS to remove WIN burden from my comp.

This litte paranoia is strongly connectes with another one - hatred for the triumph of form over substance... I love Civilization 2 for its graphical simplicity so I found ridiculous how man could replace those sharp, clean look of units and cities with those awful tiny little soldiers of Civ3 with funny combat animations that serves nothing but sensless eyecandiness - it's immershun-breaking as fuck.

The same with RTS genre, how could man scorn the raw but clean & servisable grapichs of Red Alert, Warcraft 2, Dune 2K, Dark Colony and choose a TOTAL MESS of Red Alerts 3 with all those shitty overload of details, explosions and shit... yuck, plain awful.

I think you're describing something I feel.

"Not only is this game great, it runs on technology from 1998!"

If the game comes across as efficient and economical with resources, I have a much higher opinion of it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Record my gaming sessions with Fraps or something similar. Not necessarily to keep, but my focus and enjoyment of said games increase like 100% while recording. Otherwise I always feel so unfocused. I miss important plot-lines, hastily read quests not understanding them or just not caring, not getting immersed at all in other words. If I play with a friend though, he is replacing this "camera" :)

sullynathan

Arcane
I always start rpgs as a warrior. i don't know, I subconsciously feel like it's the most balanced or generic class to start as.

I have yet to spend money on a PC game and I might not for a while.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Restarting before dying, can't let them get the satisfaction of showing me the game over screen.

THIS! :D

Also saving like hell - doesn´t everybody? I have however given up the idea of working through game series in order - I used to do that as well, in the sense that if I liked the first 15 minutes of RandomRPG part 5, I would work through at least the first one, just to the get the feeling of "where it all began" and also feeling more justified to play the game because of knowing the past and the lore. :)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
My chars are always women
TOME
Cuckmaster General
k'
I always start rpgs as a warrior
I forgot what hack'n'slash or cRPG/actionRPG caused it but I'm done with melee character. Ranged (even better - rifle wielding like Torchlight or DungSiege3) ftw.
It give me troubles in games based on DnD system because I always relied on recruited magic users.
Even worse with new systems alien for me (Die Schwartze Argue or whatever, Serpents in the Staglands, PoE) where wrong choice in development will happen way later (20h or so).

good times
Welcome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom