Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Wasteland 2 Crowdsourcing Experiment

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Brian just showed me some new screenshots. They'll show more soon, of course. I think these screens will put the whole "cartoony" thing to rest. The train scene already gives a decent idea though, but high-quality pics will show more about the current design style. If that train scene looks cartoony to you then I don't know what to tell you, though.

I can see that Iron Giant comparison if you're making a point about that turret submission. But once again, why are we talking about an outsider art submission as if it's ingame art?

lulz about it "not being Fallout", though. Of course it isn't. It's Wasteland.
InXile sure made that very clear, by mentioning Fallout on every paragraph and always being incredibly vague about the specifics of the game.

*shrug* They never said it's "Fallout 2.5", yet that's the expectation some people seem to have, especially early during Kickstarter. That's too bad, but not really inXile's fault.

I mean, this game *is* influenced by Fallout in many ways, learning from Fallout in ways to improve and particularly in the way the combat system works since it's not a blob anymore. But it's still a Wasteland sequel. Party-based. Wastelandish in tone.

Brian just showed me some new screenshots. They'll show more soon, of course. I think these screens will put the whole "cartoony" thing to rest. The train scene already gives a decent idea though, but high-quality pics will show more about the current design style. If that train scene looks cartoony to you then I don't know what to tell you, though.

I can see that Iron Giant comparison if you're making a point about that turret submission. But once again, why are we talking about an outsider art submission as if it's ingame art?

lulz about it "not being Fallout", though. Of course it isn't. It's Wasteland.
InXile sure made that very clear, by mentioning Fallout on every paragraph and always being incredibly vague about the specifics of the game.

*shrug* They never said it's "Fallout 2.5", yet that's the expectation some people seem to have, especially early during Kickstarter. That's too bad, but not really inXile's fault.

I mean, this game *is* influenced by Fallout in many ways, learning from Fallout in ways to improve and particularly in the way the combat system works since it's not a blob anymore. But it's still a Wasteland sequel. Party-based. Wastelandish in tone.

C'mon be a bro, tell us more... Are the screenshots showing something sexy? :D Some military installation perhaps? Weird temple of blood? Guardian citadel? Ranger center?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm not even sure if these particular screenies will ever go out there for public consumption.:kfc:

I am constantly pushing for more screenshots, if that helps. But I dunno how much they want to save up for their big update in a few weeks.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It really is their fault because they never said it wasn't Fallout 2.5, either. If people here on the codex are having those expectations, imagine the average guy who only heard of Wasteland as "the game that inspired the Fallout series".

You know that the more it deviates from Fallout in design, the bigger will be the demo shitstorm.

But really, what's so bad about Wasteland? I don't get it... Can somebody please explain to me why someone who likes Fallout would be disappointed with Wasteland universe?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
"lol I was just trolling XD" is more your style.

Why don't you go back and take a look at their kickstarter pitch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol:

What I want to know is, what took you so long? Didn't you notice that band of retards who went apeshit during the Kickstarter when they discovered Wasteland 2 was going to have "mute, soulless companions"? Even they've already known for months that this game isn't going to be Fallout 2.5. What's your excuse?

EG

Nullified
But really, what's so bad about Wasteland? I don't get it... Can somebody please explain to me why someone who likes Fallout would be disappointed with Wasteland universe?

The first game had graphics primitive enough that, despite some indicators to the contrary (some of the avatars are pretty lolzy), one could imagine the game to be a more Fallout-like if represented in 3D -- or 2.5D. I know I didn't envision the ground to be bright orange, or for their to be green vapor rising from water sources, or toy scorpions thrashing about in seizure when I played the game. I imagined it as Fallout, as that was the closest representation I had to a post-apocalyptic world at that time.

I'd guess that's where some of the "It's not Fallout!" rage comes from. Add some more butthurt due to "And we'll never have another Fallout!"

Once again, I'll explain: it was a joke . . . but look what it's become.

It's beautiful. :lol:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

What I want to know is, what took you so long? Didn't you notice that band of retards who went apeshit during the Kickstarter when they discovered Wasteland 2 was going to have "mute, soulless companions"? Even they've already known for months that this game isn't going to be Fallout 2.5. What's your excuse?
I was replying to BN's post. His tone was that it's something obvious, but it's not that clear for a lot of people and that will be evident once the demo comes out.

I am p. sure that even here some people are still expecting "Fallout 2 with full party creation, oh god it's heavan". I mean, it has MCA in it. It'll basically be a giant New Reno, right?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I was replying to BN's post. His tone was that it's something obvious, but it's not that clear for a lot of people and that will be evident once the demo comes out.

That will depend entirely on the nature of the demo.

AoD isn't controversial because it's not a Fallout clone. It's controversial because it has some bizarre design choices.

According to your logic, people should have been butthurt about PS:T because it wasn't like Baldur's Gate 1.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Weren't they? But that's also a completely different situation.

Not that different. Sequel to a popular game, by the same publisher, using the same engine, heavily riding on its popularity.

I mean, it has MCA in it. It'll basically be a giant New Reno, right?

Funny you should say that. I once told VD that AoD was sort of like "New Reno: The Game". He vehemently disagrees - he didn't like New Reno.

EG

Nullified
AoD should have been a Fallout clone.

Damn you, Vince.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think Kickstarter games in general set themselves up for disappointment because people follow the process from so early, when it's so open and you can fill in your own ideas. DFA, WL2, P:E, people build up their own expectations, fair or unfair, and will be upset when they're not met, or when they misunderstood what the game is. inXile definitely rode the popularity of Fallout and the need people feel for an actual Fallout sequel, but at the same time they never made any false claims on it. Will it bite them in the ass? Possibly, a bit. Should be fine as long as the beta is good, though.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I think Kickstarter games in general set themselves up for disappointment because people follow the process from so early, when it's so open and you can fill in your own ideas. DFA, WL2, P:E, people build up their own expectations, fair or unfair, and will be upset when they're not met, or when they misunderstood what the game is. inXile definitely rode the popularity of Fallout and the need people feel for an actual Fallout sequel, but at the same time they never made any false claims on it. Will it bite them in the ass? Possibly, a bit. Should be fine as long as the beta is good, though.
I think that it was very clear that it's a Wasteland sequel. The pitch did ride the popularity of Fallout, but in a good way. Many people have never played or even heard of Wasteland, so mentioning Fallout, both as a spiritual successor to Wasteland and as a somewhat similar game, was certainly a good idea and hardly a name-dropping.

But I still don't understand what will be so disappointing about the game being a Wasteland sequel and no Fallout 1? Except it will be better because you have a party. Only if you guys mean they won't be able to make such a classic like Fallout (or game as good as Fallout) and that's why people will be disappointed because they expect too much?

I mean everything else is there. Possibly better writing than in Fallout, there could be even more interesting locations than in Fallout, possibly better combat (party based turn based), game is iso, with world travel, supposedly great C&C, exploration, ranger center "management", solid character system (I liked the one in W1, and anyway, even Fallout's SPECIAL isn't perfect), cool PA setting with all kinds of cool and weird shit (only that they don't make it into a circus, like Fallout 2 did with Fallout 1 setting, but it's still a great game IMO) etc.

EG

Nullified
But I still don't understand what will be so disappointing about the game being a Wasteland sequel and no Fallout 1? Except it will be better because you have a party. Only if you guys mean they won't be able to make such a classic like Fallout (or game as good as Fallout) and that's why people will be disappointed because they expect too much?

I . . . uh. What?

If people got the misguided impression that AoDWasteland 2 was going to be a Fallout homage, then wouldn't it make sense that those people would then be disappointed when it doesn't fulfill their vision?

Moribund

A droglike
I am p. sure that even here some people are still expecting "Fallout 2 with full party creation, oh god it's heavan". I mean, it has MCA in it. It'll basically be a giant New Reno, right?

Well that is what I expect and what got pitched. I expect more of original's flavor and so far it seems to have it, but that's the same basic kind of game.

The people who were complaining it's not like fallout seem to be focused on fallout 3 not 2. I can live without the 3 lines of dialog NPC companions spewed out in fallout 2. In fallout 1 it was 0 lines.

I never got the fixation on companions, it's just like the fixation on having a house. Are people really that easily fooled they are with other people? I want to explore the world and have stuff happen, not chitchat with neurotics.

EG

Nullified
I never got the fixation on companions, it's just like the fixation on having a house. Are people really that easily fooled they are with other people? I want to explore the world and have stuff happen, not chitchat with neurotics.

They're not real? :cry:

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

Brian has made a couple of odd decisions, so it has made some unsure, including myself. However he has promised a demonstration in January, that he says will be great. If he comes up with something impressive, I think it will silence most of the doubters.

Brian has made a couple of odd decisions, so it has made some unsure, including myself. However he has promised a demonstration in January, that he says will be great. If he comes up with something impressive, I think it will silence most of the doubters.

Well, can you elaborate what concretely?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom