Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Wasn't 2013 Supposed to be The Year of Incline?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Analyzing our stickied INCLINE list of INCLINE games (now with a poll), one thing is clearly visible.

Incline comes slow. Really slow. Even slower than Spring in Poland. Seems like CRPGs are teh hard to make on time, as all games that were supposed to be released in late 2012/early 2013 have been pushed back (unless You count Banner Saga FTP multiplayer component, which I don't), and I have a feeling that they will be pushed back even further.

-Expeditions: Conquistador April 2013 TB Strategy/RPG hybrid, based in XVI century New World by Logic Arts
-Legends of Eisenwald April 2013 TB Strategy, a mixture of King's Bounty exploration and Disciples-like combat, with cRPG elements by Aterdux Entertainment

The two topmost games (Legends of Eisenwald and Expeditions: Conquistador) from our incline list in the OP are stated to release in April 2013, which ends today, and I sure as hell am not seeing them available anywhere.

EDIT: Expeditions Conquistador was released on May 30. :incline:.
But Legends of Eisenwald is nowhere near release date. The current build is still in a very rough state. :decline:

-Shadowrun Returns June 2013 TB mission-based 2D RPG in the Shadowrun universe by Harebrained Schemes

The third one on the list is Shadowrun Returns estimated for June 2013 (moved from January 2013), which is doubtful too. Harebrained Schemes are a little too eager to show "looks how much progress we've made" and I'm guessing they do that to not cause butthurt when they move the release date down the line. BTW, yesterday was the anniversary of their successful KS campiagn - congratulations(?).

-Chaos Chronicles Q2-Q3 2013? TB combat-focused RPG based on the d20 OGL system by Coreplay
-Age of Decandence Thursday 2013 TB hardcore, C&C-focused cRPG in post-apocalyptic roman-themed setting by Vince D. Weller and Irontower Studios
-Underrail Q3-4 2013 TB isometric futuristic indie RPG by Styg
-Wasteland 2 Q4 2013 TB isometric RPG, sequel to the classic Wasteland, by inXile
-Blackguards Q4 2013? TB hex-grid strategy/RPG in Das Schwarze Auge setting
-Dead State December 2013? cRPG (with strategy elements) in a zombie apocalypse setting, by Brian & Annie Mitsodas of DoubleBear Productions
-What Remains 2013? a FOnline engine post-apocalyptic game by Surf Solar
-The Tangut Prophecy 2013? a realistic cRPG on FOnline engine set in XII century China by CrazyLoon
-Lords of Xulima Q4 2013/2014? isometric cRPG with blob-like combat (?) by Numantian Games

Release dates for games further down the list are complete speculation atm (some more than others, like AoD), except maybe Wasteland 2, which is probably the most probable (though not certain) to come out on time, in late 2013, but that's still half a year away! Yeah, it's cool to be able claim Q4 2013 release (preferably with a question mark at the end) as a developer because it's "still so far away", but "close enough to get fans excited". I call bullshit.

-Divinity: Original Sin Q4 2013? TB 'cooperative' RPG by Larian Studios

Divinity: Original Sin is a good case to show the trend. It was initially expected for end o 2012, then for Summer 2013 and now for November 2013 (and I would not be surprised if it came out in 2014). I am not complaining, as it means we'll get a batter game (due to successful KS campaign), but it shows the problem with being able to make these games on time and with preplanned resources.

So, what the fuck, 2013? You were supposed to be The Year of Incline. And here we are, 1/3 in already and not a single RPG released so far. Even 2012 aka The Year of Decline was better than that.
:rpgcodex:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They've put up SRR for pre-order on Steam, ETA June 2013. I don't think they have enough money to keep developing it any longer, so for good or for ill it's coming out then.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
2013 isn't over yet...Most of them coming late Q3/early Q4, hold your horses partner!
Probably 1-2 of them'll slip to Q1 2014 at most. In my humble opinion of course.

Jestai

Augur
Patron
November 2013 for Larian doesn't make sense.
I mean, what is the $1M (or the extra $600,000 after the main goal) we just gave them supposed to buy except man hours (+expenses)? Every extra dollar given should push the release date further away. I believe that releasing their game on time would in fact be a bitchslap to their users, as it would mean that their whole kickstarter was some sort of bullshit. "OK, soooo we used your money and it spontaneously changed into $600,000 worth of ingame content!".
Or maybe Swen is a modern Midas!

Explanation or real release date please?

Gord

Arcane
I definitely expect some delays with some of these games.
But hasn't that always been the case? And ultimately I'd prefer a better game over an earlier one.

Still, I'd like to add:

Hurry up you lazy bums! I need some good new games!

garren

Arcane
Patron
IMHO people really don't care about delays, they just want a good game when it finally does come out. Most people seem to understand that longer dev time = better game (in most cases)

Of course there always are the random bitchers..

We should see some of the high profile games near the end of the year at least.

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
November 2013 for Larian doesn't make sense.
I mean, what is the $1M (or the extra $600,000 after the main goal) we just gave them supposed to buy except man hours (+expenses)? Every extra dollar given should push the release date further away. I believe that releasing their game on time would in fact be a bitchslap to their users, as it would mean that their whole kickstarter was some sort of bullshit. "OK, soooo we used your money and it spontaneously changed into $600,000 worth of ingame content!".
Or maybe Swen is a modern Midas!

Explanation or real release date please?

Swen has said that if the kickstarter hadn't been successful, then they would have to release D:OS this summer because of lack of funds. So the kickstarter has pushed the release date about 4-5 months

Tigranes

Arcane
I expect Conquistador and Shadowrun to be released from that list, possibly Eisenwald and one more.

Definitely don't expect Wasteland, AOD, Dead State, Tangut, Divinity, though there could possibly be a nice surprise there. Thursday I think is definitely 2014.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But successful means initial goal, $400k. Now that they have gathered a whipping million, with new content goals, november doesn't seem to be a realistic date at all.

(secret hope for larian proving me wrong and delivering as promised)

Unless their goals involve retaining more staff from the Dragon Commander team after that game ships to help beef up the D:OS game world. Not all stretch goals require more time.

Kirtai

Augur
Someday a conventionally run software project will arrive on time and under budget and the world will come to an end.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I never expected 2013 to be the real year of Incline. For me it was always 2014.
I hope Larian, inXile et al won't give in to the pressure and take their sweet time with their games. Tbh I'd be happy if D:OS came out summer 2014 or later, if that's what Larian considers necessary.
After all, it's not as if there isn't anything to play for a lifetime (if one has a life, that is).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Conquistador and Shadowrun will be released this year, i suspect none of the others will make their 3rd or 4th quarter releases.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I could see Brian Fargo trying to aim Wasteland 2 for a well-marketed/hyped Christmas release. Dec 2013 is still 2013!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Don't worry brah, I'm sure Bethesda will announce Fallout 4 at the E3 or the new xbawks reveal event. :troll:

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I wasn't expecting for games like these to start popping out en masse a little over a year ago so I think my grubby hands can wait some more. But I'm sure some of them will come out this year. Expeditions: Conquistador certainly, maybe Legends of Eisenwald and Shadowrun Returns as well.

Oh, and Age of Decadence for sure. :dance:

Micmu

Magister
I'd rather wait another year than have some more rushed shit.
Some of those deadlines were really sketchy at first, pushing them back for half a year or more isn't that bad.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I could see Brian Fargo trying to aim Wasteland 2 for a well-marketed/hyped Christmas release. Dec 2013 is still 2013!
I think he'll do the opposite. Christmas is flooded by AAA+ titles and probably even new consoles this year, releasing a bit earlier, while everyone else is hiding their hands seems like a better plan to me... remenber that Wasteland 2 may be HEAVENZ for us, but still a niche game, and no doubt the rest of the human race would quickly choose Battlefield 4 or whatever over it...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think he'll do the opposite. Christmas is flooded by AAA+ titles and probably even new consoles this year, releasing a bit earlier, while everyone else is hiding their hands seems like a better plan to me... remenber that Wasteland 2 may be HEAVENZ for us, but still a niche game, and no doubt the rest of the human race would quickly choose Battlefield 4 or whatever over it...

Well, you're the marketing guy, but it was my impression that ALL games sell more on Christmas, and it's not like Wasteland 2 is actually competing with any of those AAA titles. It's for the losers sitting at home waiting for new Steam sales. :smug:

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I though Inxile had all levels blocked in and the dialogue written. They can finish up in 5 months? It sounds like they are reaching their milestones on time so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom