Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vtm Bloodlines for the first time

Don Peste

Arcane
laclongquan solid argumentation makes me want to play with Tessera's patch. But Jason Liang has made a list with Companion mod on the first place, and I love lists. What should I do?
My only playthrough was six or seven years ago. Malkavian.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I just wanna say that, quite surprisingly, I never really had any issues running the game, even un-patched, and I am known to be a bug-magnet.
If by ''unpatched'' you mean ''without wesp's patch'', then verily. There is a game stopping bug in the infamous boat situation that got fixed by 1.2.

Apart than that, yes. Vanilla patched with final (1.2) patch is perfectly playable. You should go with that first. People moaning about crashes or undoable quest paths are either imagining things or are remembering raw unpatched game after it first came out.
I can't for life imagine what it is that wesp is fixing apart from odd spelling errors and things would urge for that like loading times and combat are unfixable anyway. Though i think loading times aren't really an issue on modern computers. It was problem at the time.

Combat, although very basic, can be actually fun depending on clan. I had a blast with my celerity fueled Brujah and think the only other time i played was with Malkavian, who although has weaker disciplines, makes up for it with brilliant dialogue options.

If anything, the worst thing about the game imo was that it is mostly comprised of a lot of small areas and linear exploration, kinda similar to what people complained about DX:IW. Also some really annoying forced combat showdowns/boss fights that can't be really varied in any way. The infamous tunnels with tzcimise and invincible wearwolf battle comes to mind.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
To fully appreciate what a great game Bloodlines is, you have to make a completely non-combat character. Believe me, it all pays off in the end.
And how do you deal with bosses and some of the tougher fights, may i ask? Rat diplomacy doesn't work on them. Granted, i may have be in the dark, because i haven't played all the clans.

Vibalist

Arcane
To fully appreciate what a great game Bloodlines is, you have to make a completely non-combat character. Believe me, it all pays off in the end.
And how do you deal with bosses and some of the tougher fights, may i ask? Rat diplomacy doesn't work on them. Granted, i may have be in the dark, because i haven't played all the clans.

4173.jpg

Jason Liang

Arcane
Modder Malkav is currently updating the full Companion mod to Wesp plus patch 9.3 (the current version is built on top of Wesp base patch 5.6). When that comes out, it will likely claim the title of the "ultimate" Bloodline mod.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Why do you fucking need ''companions'' to begin with? The combat for most part is easy. Places where it's not easy, no shitty companion will help unless it's the Cain himself. Can someone explain the purpose of this mod? Maybe i'm being too
4173.jpg
again.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I feel like Vampire games should always be solo. the only companions one might possibly have are summons or thralls, and they sure as shit arent kept around for companionship.

Don't play Malkavian or Nosferatu first, their unique interactions with the world are less interesting when you have nothing to compare them to.

Wesp has a borderline aspergian need to fix every broken thing in the game, including things that have been broken by other fixes. Tessera is a raging narcissist who calls his patch the True Patch, which implies the others are false idols that need to be cast down. I'd say they are equaled in modder power level. Wesp's basic patch might be the best option.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
VtM:B is one of the greatest games ever made.
Wouldn't go that far. Too many shitty and overly tedious action segments. Yes, that probably had more to do with the publisher but it's still there so I can't call it one of the greatest games ever made.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Don't play Malkavian or Nosferatu first, their unique interactions with the world are less interesting when you have nothing to compare them to.
I disagree. if you have any familiarity with WOD setting, or if you are just interested in psychopathology in general, the malkavian perspective makes it a one of a kind experience. Id have given this game maybe 7/10 for a "normie" runthrough but a 9.5 for malkavian. Nosferatu need not apply. theyre already peeping from the dungcovers

hakuroshi

Augur
Well, I did play Malkavian first. With tessera's patch. And then much later Tremere with wesp's basic. So, considering, patches - there is no detectable difference unless you've played the game a hundred times and know it better then Troika ever did. It boils down who makes you cum more - teh drama queen douchebag or a dude with asperger. Both did a fine job (whoever did the actual coding).

As for playing Malkavian first - it is a unique experience. I've enjoyed it immensely. While there is a lot to discourage it - for example you'll likely won't have any idea what he's babbling about half the time - it is far from ruining the game. Especially if you have some WoD background.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I feel like Vampire games should always be solo. the only companions one might possibly have are summons or thralls, and they sure as shit arent kept around for companionship.

Thanks to Bloodlines being a solo game I've felt the oppressivnes of the cWoD to the max. Running with a merry band of Vampires would probably take that away, nto to mention that creating new vamps "just-like-that" is a major no-no in Camarilla's rulebook. Let's not forget that the PC has been concieved that way and it did not end well for his/her sire.

madrigal

Augur
If anything, the worst thing about the game imo was that it is mostly comprised of a lot of small areas and linear exploration, kinda similar to what people complained about DX:IW. Also some really annoying forced combat showdowns/boss fights that can't be really varied in any way. The infamous tunnels with tzcimise and invincible wearwolf battle comes to mind.

The werewolf battle seems to be one of the examples that does vary given you can choose to kill or evade.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sometimes, there are innocents on the net who haven't scoured the scripts.

Tessera is a raging narcissist who calls his patch the True Patch, which implies the others are false idols that need to be cast down.
The guy's a pioneer IIRC, he tried to hide his shitty 'true patch' of derivative naked ladies behind a forum paywall years ago (didn't last long ofc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom