Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Verlies released for PC

getter77

Augur
http://www.indiedb.com/games/verlies

You like to explore labyrinthine dungeons for hours ? Find plenty of treasures, objects and equipment ? Take plenty of vicious traps in the face and die at 3 meters from the seller to cause a big monster that you tore the head at once ? Verlies was designed for you !

What is Verlies ? It's a dungeon crawler / Hack & Slash taking place in dungeons filled with deadly traps and other chests randomly generated, where you will face enemies, find equipment, scrolls containing powerful spells and meet NPCs offering services against of hard cash.

And it's all randomly generated A to Z (power and cost spells, powers of the enemy, all the stats of the equipment, location of the NPC etc ...), it is impossible to run two times the same game !
Faced with these traps to kill you at every corner or box that you come across, you will have 12 "jobs" that allows you to shape your character as you wish.Balancing enjoyed the utmost care and the economy and the player will have a hard time choosing between the various services offered by the NPCs. (sale, purchase, maintenance of wear, blessings, forging etc ...)

The game is thought of as a "base" which will be regularly updated with free content and is intended to evolve with ideas, advice and wishes of the players,

Verlies is a good old Hack & Slash/Dungeon Crawler game. Emphasis was placed on difficulty, a difficulty made ​​to stop the player and not to propose a series of dungeons waiting wisely for his passage. Balancing was one of the most important processes of development, and only the strongest of you will survive. The dungeons, as well as the enemies, the loot (weapons, armor, spells and objects of all kinds), and the meetings with the various NPCs are randomly generated. Faced with these traps set to kill you at every corner you come across or chest you open, you will have 12 "jobs" allowing you to shape your character as you wish. The economy has also been handled with the greatest care to avoid ending up with thousands of useless gold coins. Gold has a real value, and the player will have a hard time choosing between the various services offered by the NPCs.

Launch teaser trailer:
Costs $4.99 Euro dev direct, Windows only at least for now it seems, and so far no demo available. Seemingly, the dev tried to get on Desura, but the game was too old-school for them or some such nonsense.
The first targets for the post-release patching is probably some assortment of:
- A system of random quests
- Special doors with their keys
- New types of boss
- Secret passages
- New NPC
- Small "random puzzle"
- Crafting system

I'd say this looks promising, especially if the post-release content indeed happens.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I see that the "Philosopher" class gets +4 exp for each enemy killed :)

Nice. But unfortunately right now I will wait for other people to buy this and I'll see whether the free support comes... I'd prefer to play an ASCII roguelike game than something like this.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This wasn't approved by Desura but all of those crappy bullet shooter clones make it?

getter77

Augur
No, desura refused 2 times the project.
The first reason was that the game would not appeal to quite a number of players ... Result: Verlies finished in the TOP 100 Awards for indie DB ...
Second, I cited:
"Thank you for submitting your game for publication. We are going to have to decline at this time. We have several similar games on our system already and they just aren't selling to our current users. If you have other games you would like to submit please feel free."
Yet they have only 2 or 3 dungeon crawler ... I do not know what they want to help me realize my projects ... If you want to Verlies Desura, harass Desura message ^^. I do not know what to do

From the dev, top of the IndieDB page comments. Really, it seems odd/Steam-like...

I am also hesitant if optimistic with no demo and such----I'd settle for more indepth videos though.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Heh, so much bullshit from Desura, guess it's not next-gen enough for them. It's a sad day when a platform created for indie devs rejects an indie game with such poor excuses.

getter77

Augur
Right, either I'm blind or a stealth update is upon us-----Demo Time folks:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21175723/Verlies Demo Install.exe

Initial thoughts: Step based solo in the oldest style, took me a bit to even somewhat grasp facing/movement, install was no trouble, map overlay functional, no damned idea on the actual controls and not seeing anything in the files, no idea on what engine/tech is behind it, seems a case of English being a secondary or beyond language of the dev, sudden shopkeep startled the crap outta me with sudden...French maybe dialog----definitely reckoning some old school potential in this.

Perhaps the only game I've ever played on PC where the ?, Esc, and F1 keys seemingly do nothing, heh.

getter77

Augur
http://www.indiedb.com/games/verlies/downloads/verlies-demo Demo also now directly on IndieDB in case game front is not good enough or some such, again from comments at the top it seems the dev is still trying to see about Desura and such---stymied seemingly for now by his English abilities and such to communicate effectively.

Looks like French is the prime means of wrangling: We have any able Codexers among us that can get to seeing what's what afoot?

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/63105-VERLIES-Top-100-des-awards-2011-d-indie-DB-!-Votez-!-La-victoire-est-face-à-nous-!

doshu

Novice
I may be of some help here^^. I'm an long time user of the Canard PC forums, I though I just registered to the Codex ones, I've been visiting this site now and then for a few years already. As for Verlies, I happen to do some french to english correction from time to time (as of now, only for 3 texts, two of those being the intro of the game and the now corrected news about the release of the game), although my english is far from perfect^^.

Since it's release, the game had quite a few feedback from the french community on CPC, and Tyler (the developer) seems eager to answer asap. There's a patch on the way wich will, among other things, add keyboard control, correct a few english errors (but only a few, still a lot to correct ahead) and add a windowed mode. As for the near future, you can expect some interface modding options, and a manual explaining a bit of the game mechanics. The demo to should be updated soon, as the first one was pretty bugged.

And last, some random stuff seen on the french forum : damage done to monsters and/or health of monster shown on screen, an Ironman mode.

That's it for now :)

doshu

Novice
The game got a 7/10 in the CanardPC magazine (reputed to be rather harsh), but the tester is warning the gamers wanting an old school Dungeon Crawler experience equal to those of the ol' days, to wait for Legend of Grimlocks. Verlies being a game that allow you to experience "the confusing and low-def trail left in your memory by all those childhood's Dungeon Crawlers".

Some inlights about a future feature : job's "specialization", allowing, for example, to select several spells at the same time in the inventory (no more details for now...).

And the Ironmode option is confirmed for the first patch ;)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So we have Cleve wearing a robe and tasteful demon rape at the end. Seems very Codexian.

getter77

Augur
Well ... I got a response from "Scott". Basically, they take only the games they think they can sell and it is not convinced by my own (while there is never played...). That's it. End of story.

Well, that's the latest dev post in the IndieDB comments box. I guess at this junction, it comes down to the above mentioned updates and continually improving demo alongside maybe the original update ideas---then maybe that "2.0" version of the game would impress the Desura folk enough. Otherwise, seems like a "screw it, go for Gamersgate, IndieCity/Vania, etc" while getting as many visible content/interface improvement updates out there as possible to build momentum.

I vaguely recall S.P.A.Z. getting rejected from Steam until they'd built up some....steam....otherwise with their competitors and some good gaming press nods----so time'll tell.

I see that the "Philosopher" class gets +4 exp for each enemy killed :)

Nice. But unfortunately right now I will wait for other people to buy this and I'll see whether the free support comes... I'd prefer to play an ASCII roguelike game than something like this.
Ah...good old unimaginative level-by-killing-regardless-of-whether-it-makes-sense design. It's fine for D&D and other glorified wargaming systems (though the levelling system starts to seem odd when you get to version 3.5 with its skill-focus; skill-focus and exp-for-killing as the dominant source of imporvement don't combine well).

I'm assuming that this is low on skills, being a hack n slash, but why have silly class names like 'Philosopher' that suggest non-warrior slants. Mind you, pre-collapse-of-Rome philosophers could be pretty badass. You had the Roman stoics, who were often centurions or ex-centurions, with their various arguments that it is irrational to fear a quick death (basically would run: 'think of before you were born: you didn't exist, at least not in this world. That didn't bother you - it wasn't a rational source of fear. Non-existence is the worst that could happen, and if that wasn't so terrible prior to birth, why should death be something to fear?' - few folks today would agree, but it was the standard belief among philosophers then, and there's something kind of awesome about it, even if it isn't convincing.) Then there's Plato with his advocacy for fascism (more than a tad influenced by the democratic Athenian senate killing Socrates).

Hobbes might argue that it is totally irrational to have friendly NPCs in a hack n slash, because without any authoritative government, the denizens of the dungeons must necessarily descend into a war of all against all, meaning that even well-meaning and moral individuals must strike first to protect against the possibility of being backstabbed later:)

CPCTyler

Novice
Hi guys !

Apparently my work interested some of you, so it's with pleasure that i present the first patch for Verlies. I hop you will like it, good game ! (and sorry for my english aproximation)

Patch 1.1
Warning saves are not compatible
Changelog:
- Windowed mode which maximizes automatically resizable at will
- Best location of text
- All files, graphics and sounds become moddable by simply replacing files (total conversion possible)
- Added a options menu
- Added a permanent death mode
- Added moving with the keyboard (arrow keys)
- Fixed several minor bugs

doshu

Novice
And you want us to believe that tou made this Pokemon screenshot just to show the modding potential of the game ? Wouldn't you just be a Pokemon fan instead ? :p

Anyway, good job for the patch ! I hope the next update will come soonish ;)

CPCTyler

Novice
Find VERLIES at this adress (Get Indie games !), from tomorrow 10 AM (French time) to try to win a free copy of the game !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom