Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller and Marsal: Designers vs Programmers Cage Match

Marsal

Arcane
Didn't Sue Generis hit 160k pounds? A no-name guy without much to show but 'drunken' animations and generic fantasy drivel.
Drunken animations? I don't even... You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. That engine alone was worth Kickstarting. "Generic fantasy drivel" (as opposed to original fantasy drivel?) is not a huge flaw, if they manage to deliver what they promised. Even if they fail (which they probably will), the engine will remain for others to play with.

OTOH, I think that we can both agree that yet another Zombie game, without a minute of gameplay shown after years of development getting 300k+ is a travesty. Maybe there still is some hope for whores who finally found a line they wouldn't cross for money honest developers always being taken advantage of by publishers to bamboozle idiots out of a couple hundred grand.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't Sue Generis hit 160k pounds? A no-name guy without much to show but 'drunken' animations and generic fantasy drivel.
Drunken animations? I don't even... You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. That engine alone was worth Kickstarting. "Generic fantasy drivel" (as opposed to original fantasy drivel?) is not a huge flaw, if they manage to deliver what they promised. Even if they fail (which they probably will), the engine will remain for others to play with.

OTOH, I think that we can both agree that yet another Zombie game, without a minute of gameplay shown after years of development getting 300k+ is a travesty. Maybe there still is some hope for whores who finally found a line they wouldn't cross for money honest developers always being taken advantage of by publishers to bamboozle idiots out of a couple hundred grand.

Brian and Annie were smart enough to launch during the height of the Kickstarter hype. They wouldn't have gotten as much money today. Ditto Banner Saga.

kaizoku

Arcane

Brian and Annie were smart enough to launch during the height of the Kickstarter hype. They wouldn't have gotten as much money today. Ditto Banner Saga.

KS and zombie hype

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Drunken animations? I don't even... You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. That engine alone was worth Kickstarting.

The engine looked cool, but what did we really see other than furniture being moved and characters showing their drunken master kung-fu? Getting from these first 'playable!' steps where you have 2 characters fighting and nothing else to 'an actual game' is a very, very, very long stretch.

"Generic fantasy drivel" (as opposed to original fantasy drivel?) is not a huge flaw, if they manage to deliver what they
promised. Even if they fail (which they probably will), the engine will remain for others to play with.

There are issues with his engine that were explained by several programmers. Whether or not he manages to overcome these issues remains to be seen.

OTOH, I think that we can both agree that yet another Zombie game, without a minute of gameplay shown after years of development getting 300k+ is a travesty.

You're still bitching about Dead State? What part of "it's not my game" you're having trouble grasping?

For the record though, I wouldn't call DS "yet another Zombie game", but what do I know?

Marsal

Arcane
The engine looked cool, but what did we really see other than furniture being moved and characters showing their drunken master kung-fu? Getting from these first 'playable!' steps where you have 2 characters fighting and nothing else to 'an actual game' is a very, very, very long stretch.
What did we see in DS pitch? Some static? By your metrics, going from static to an actual game is a very, very, very, very, very, very, very long stretch, especially knowing you have worked on it several years and did nothing of substance.

There are issues with his engine that were explained by several programmers. Whether or not he manages to overcome these issues remains to be seen.
Several experts have pointed out that you make shit up when convenient. Quotation (better yet several) needed, bro. If you can't be bothered to provide them, it's cool. Would you say that the engine is better/worse than the one DS is using? Would you say having a programmer capable of making that engine by himself is very important to have in a team?

You're still bitching about Dead State? What part of "it's not my game" you're having trouble grasping?
Wait, let me get this straight. You bitching about Sui Generis and using it as an example is fine, but me substituting your flawed example with a better one is me bitching about a game that isn't yours? Are you posting drunk again?

What part of "I don't give a shit that it's not your game and it doesn't even matter in this context" don't you understand? It's a blatant example of a shitty game with absolutely nothing but amateurish drivel to show in its pitch getting a lot of money on Kickstarter. You using Sui Generis for that purpose was uncalled for, when you have a better example in your own back yard. Not being your game, you can surely admit what was shown on Kickstarter was at best subpar and far worse than what Sui Generis guys had in their pitch? Based on their Kickstarter campaigns, which game deserved the money it got more? Remember, neither game is your game. You can be objective and impartial, no need to get defensive like always.

For the record though, I wouldn't call DS "yet another Zombie game", but what do I know?
I'd say you know a lot less than you think you do, but that doesn't stop you from commenting on things, so it's not relevant. I wouldn't even call DS "a game" yet.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
There is a big difference in asking for 150k and getting 160 and asking for 1 million and probably getting well, more or less the same 160k.

Linda and Hall kickstarter even got 250,000 $, yet it was considered a miserable failure.

Burning Bridges

Besides, all multi-million kickstarters seem to have some kind of figure head, Fargo, Braben, Roberts etc

If you know of a kickstarter that got > 1 million$, without anyone famous, please show it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
What did we see in DS pitch? Some static? By your metrics, going from static to an actual game is a very, very, very, very, very, very, very long stretch, especially knowing you have worked on it several years and did nothing of substance.
You saw a working RPG engine with all the systems and a clearly presented, realistic vision. Basically, you saw a good plan, ability to deliver (writing, design skills, experience), and tools to put it together.

In comparison, in Sue Generis you saw a cool physics-based engine with nothing else, cool physics-based combat, and unrealistic and naive promises that come from the lack of experience. Basically, it was 'this is my dream rpg that's not really an rpg' pitch without any shred of evidence to back it up. It's a good dream but it is a dream.

Several experts have pointed out that you make shit up when convenient. Quotation (better yet several) needed, bro. If you can't be bothered to provide them, it's cool. Would you say that the engine is better/worse than the one DS is using? Would you say having a programmer capable of making that engine by himself is very important to have in a team?
Here is one:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3042.msg97205.html#msg97205

As for the engine, it's an eye-candy. Beautiful and impressive, but that's all it is at this stage. To make an RPG you need a shitload of fully integrated systems. Until I see them, until I see the engine in some hot RPG action, I can't really comment on what it is and isn't capable of.

You using Sui Generis for that purpose was uncalled for, when you have a better example in your own back yard. Not being your game, you can surely admit what was shown on Kickstarter was at best subpar and far worse than what Sui Generis guys had in their pitch?
From my early post on the Codex:

"You start the game as apparently just a common villager but someone obviously disagrees, this puts your village in danger and you are exiled. You will be thrown into a hostile world you know nothing about and be forced to fend for yourself. As an unworldly villager you will discover this land and learn of it's history and current affairs, of the primitive people living in awe of a misconceived past. It soon becomes clear that you are no ordinary villager and indeed have some highly exceptional qualities.

Dark, ominous events are rapidly transpiring throughout the world, a terrible conclusion beckons on the horizon. You may be the only one with power enough to prevent catastrophe but it all hinges on whether or not you choose to intervene, freedom is king here and there will always be numerous ways to achieve any desired outcome, or fail in the attempt.

You will find yourself in a large open world that you can explore freely. A rich detailed terrain features many interesting locations. A vast sprawling underworld, a source of terror for the people but filled with ancient treasures, tells strange stories of the world's past.

The world features a feudal society dissolving under the pressure of thaumaturges, once benevolent miracle workers who have now turned to dark and cruel activities. Thaumaturges wield great powers, they can manipulate many aspects of the world with their minds. A recent shift in their agenda has led them to cruel experiments and dangerous incursions into the underworld, causing it's dormant threats to stir."

So much for "a ground breaking RPG for the PC that may just change the way you think about games".

I guess we look at different things when we evaluate KS pitches. I look at the design and ability to deliver. You look at pretty pictures and if they aren't pretty enough...

Vault Dweller

Developer
PS. Btw, I used Sui Generis as an example of an unknown developer doing well just on the strength of the tech/visuals. DS doesn't fit in that category because Mitsoda is a known developer with a good reputation.

Marsal

Arcane
You saw a working RPG engine with all the systems and a clearly presented, realistic vision. Basically, you saw a good plan, ability to deliver (writing, design skills, experience), and tools to put it together.

In comparison, in Sue Generis you saw a cool physics-based engine with nothing else, cool physics-based combat, and unrealistic and naive promises that come from the lack of experience. Basically, it was 'this is my dream rpg that's not really an rpg' pitch without any shred of evidence to back it up. It's a good dream but it is a dream.
We must have watched different videos. I saw some hideous character portraits, ridiculously amateurish looking UI, interspersed with 2 second "gameplay" snippets with a guy talking about his vision in the background. He omits saying he's been working on it for 3 years at that point, has no gameplay longer than 2 seconds to show and had all but given up on the game before hopping on the Kickstarter hype train.

Sui Generis has the guy talking about the tools he created and intends to use to realize his vision. Gameplay and editors are clearly shown and impressive from technical standpoint. Of course combat animations looking like "drunken fighting" in an alpha version of the game are a huge deal and are gleefully derided by simpletons. Have you looked the animations in DS lately? They are embarrassing garbage and that's being generous.

Here is one:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3042.msg97205.html#msg97205

As for the engine, it's an eye-candy. Beautiful and impressive, but that's all it is at this stage. To make an RPG you need a shitload of fully integrated systems. Until I see them, until I see the engine in some hot RPG action, I can't really comment on what it is and isn't capable of.
That's "several programmers"? So he goes through engine features, compares them to CryEngine and Unreal Engine (licences of which go upwards of 500k), dismisses them as being "done before", "just a shader" or "you could do that if you wanted" and you respond with "well said". Do you even understand half of the things he wrote about? Why don't you have your programmer implement some of those features in your engine? How about we skip the "eye candy stuff" and go straight to real time editing? I hear it's pretty useful to have and trivial to implement, maybe Gareth could do it over the weekend? He could throw in some nice water and rain shaders if he gets bored with such a trivial task.

Having access to the source code and knowing the ins and outs of an engine is invaluable. Not having to wait for your programmer to implement a feature to test it, or compromise on features because your programmer can't get something to work is invaluable. Knowing what can and can't be done in an engine is invaluable. Writing a few simple scripts and some edgy profanity-laced dialogue lines is overrated.

We've seen your engine in hot RPG action. It neither runs well, plays well nor looks good. I can only assume it's a pleasure to work with, seeing it took less than 10 years to make a visual novel with BSB combat. DS is using the same engine and programmer(s?), AFAIK. At least there is still hope that Sui Generis guy really is a genius and his tools are awesome.

So much for "a ground breaking RPG for the PC that may just change the way you think about games".
Generic fantasy vs Walking Dead (and every other shit with zombies) DRAMA, which is better an why?! Discuss! But zombies are just a backdrop and it's all about humans and feelings and shit... How fucking clever and original!

I guess we look at different things when we evaluate KS pitches. I look at the design and ability to deliver. You look at pretty pictures and if they aren't pretty enough..
I guess we do. I value accomplishments, respect technical proves and like to see gameplay in a pitch video. You value pipe dreams and empty promises. I'm just surprised you can't see through the doublespeak, being a (ex?) professional liar. What has any of DS people delivered? No one has ever been a lead on any project, AFAIK.

As for design, considering it's coming from a guy whose idea of a good design is teleporting player everywhere and who considers environmental interaction to be a dirty word and a synonym for bashing barrels... yeah, I can see why you'd hate Sui Generis.

Burning Bridges

ring_girl_round_4.jpg

Vault Dweller

Developer
We must have watched different videos. I saw some hideous character portraits, ridiculously amateurish looking UI, interspersed with 2 second "gameplay" snippets with a guy talking about his vision in the background.
Like I said, you look at pretty pictures and videos (or lack thereof), I look at what the guy has to say (i.e. design and his ability to deliver). I've enjoyed Wizardry 8 and many other cool games that had bad portraits and questionable interface to know better than to focus exclusively on them.

He omits saying he's been working on it for 3 years at that point...
You bring it up all the time like it means something. So, he worked on it with people who worked part-time and the progress was slow. He didn't give up and he kept working on it, even though he could have easily gotten a job. I respect such passion and dedication. You don't.

Sui Generis has the guy talking about the tools he created and intends to use to realize his vision. Gameplay and editors are clearly shown and impressive from technical standpoint.
So was Skyrim. So will be the next Bethesda's offering.

He didn't create the tools to realize his vision (the RPG part of it, the procedurally created cool stories with reactivity and such). He created tools to make a pretty gameworld with physically distinctive characters. It's fucking awesome and I'd have loved to work with such tech, but this isn't an RPG engine yet and RPGs are what I give a fuck about. I've seen a lot of pretty games and concepts over the years and learned not to trust them because awesome graphics and awesome gameplay tend to be two very different things.

Of course combat animations looking like "drunken fighting" in an alpha version of the game are a huge deal and are gleefully derided by simpletons. Have you looked the animations in DS lately? They are embarrassing garbage and that's being generous.
If you say so. Graphics are clearly very important to you, so if you say they are shit, they must be shit.

That's "several programmers"?
That's one of them. I even said "here is one" as in 1, not 2 or 3. I'm not going to go through all the discussions on the Codex and Watch for your amusement. You asked for proof that such discussions took place, I gave you a link. Don't like it? Close the tab.

So he goes through engine features, compares them to CryEngine and Unreal Engine (licences of which go upwards of 500k), dismisses them as being "done before", "just a shader" or "you could do that if you wanted" and you respond with "well said". Do you even understand half of the things he wrote about? Why don't you have your programmer implement some of those features in your engine? How about we skip the "eye candy stuff" and go straight to real time editing? I hear it's pretty useful to have and trivial to implement, maybe Gareth could do it over the weekend? He could throw in some nice water and rain shaders if he gets bored with such a trivial task.
First, Gareth isn't my programmer. Second, we're working with an old engine which may or may not (probably not) support fancy shit. We picked this engine because it shines when it comes to RPG stuff.

Like I said before, until I see what SG's engine is capable of when it comes to hardcore RPGs, assuming he's even interested in taking it there, I can't say anything about this engine's REAL capabilities. Maybe they are as good as the visual aspect, in which case SG's programmer is the greatest fucking programmer alive. Maybe they aren't. Time will tell.

Having access to the source code and knowing the ins and outs of an engine is invaluable. Not having to wait for your programmer to implement a feature to test it, or compromise on features because your programmer can't get something to work is invaluable. Knowing what can and can't be done in an engine is invaluable. Writing a few simple scripts and some edgy profanity-laced dialogue lines is overrated.
Yeah, that's all we did. Also, lol @ "your programmer can't get something to work but with the access to the source code, you can do anything!"

We've seen your engine in hot RPG action. It neither runs well, plays well nor looks good.
And of course everyone shares your opinion because it's teh truth. The game sucks because you said so.

:thumbsup:

Generic fantasy vs Walking Dead (and every other shit with zombies) DRAMA, which is better an why?! Discuss! But zombies are just a backdrop and it's all about humans and feelings and shit... How fucking clever and original!
Nobody's talking about it being clever and original, because that's what the zombie genre has always been about, until shitty games and movies ruined it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Living_Dead

The focus on the survivors is what makes it interesting and it's way better than yet another retelling of the generic chosen one saga.

As for design, considering it's coming from a guy whose idea of a good design is teleporting player everywhere and who considers environmental interaction to be a dirty word and a synonym for bashing barrels... yeah, I can see why you'd hate Sui Generis.
I don't hate SG. I'm just not as impressed with the 'other than the pretty visuals' stuff as you are.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Marsal

Arcane
Like I said, you look at pretty pictures and videos (or lack thereof), I look at what the guy has to say (i.e. design and his ability to deliver). I've enjoyed Wizardry 8 and many other cool games that had bad portraits and questionable interface to know better than to focus exclusively on them.

Strawman. It's not about the graphics. Talk is cheap. Making engines is hard. Showing what you made > talking about your game in general terms.

Strange that you'd bring up Wizardry 8 which was a pretty decent (I'd even say good) looking game at the time it was released. Interface and portraits were fine. The main problem was slow combat resolution, not the graphics. Is your mind playing tricks on you, old man? I don't usually like blobbers, but I enjoyed W8, more so with sped up combat. I would have thought you'd reach deeper to establish your street cred and non-graphic-whorishness.

He omits saying he's been working on it for 3 years at that point...
You bring it up all the time like it means something. So, he worked on it with people who worked part-time and the progress was slow. He didn't give up and he kept working on it, even though he could have easily gotten a job. I respect such passion and dedication. You don't.

Again missing the point. I don't care that he worked 3 years or 10 years on the game. Good for him. But having no game to show at all after 3 years of work undermines your "ability to deliver" argument. 3 years with the "awesome engine for hardcore RPGs with all of the integrated systems" and it produced shit in the way of gameplay. Do you understand now?

Sui Generis has the guy talking about the tools he created and intends to use to realize his vision. Gameplay and editors are clearly shown and impressive from technical standpoint.
So was Skyrim. So will be the next Bethesda's offering.

He didn't create the tools to realize his vision (the RPG part of it, the procedurally created cool stories with reactivity and such). He created tools to make a pretty gameworld with physically distinctive characters. It's fucking awesome and I'd have loved to work with such tech, but this isn't an RPG engine yet and RPGs are what I give a fuck about. I've seen a lot of pretty games and concepts over the years and learned not to trust them because awesome graphics and awesome gameplay tend to be two very different things.

Again with the stupid comparisons. You compare AAA engines to the work of one guy, again? And the comparison isn't unfavorable? Meh, not that impressive, seen it before. Are you aware how asinine that is?

Again, it's not about the graphics. If he can implement all those "pretty graphical nonsense", what makes you think he can't or hasn't already made a dialogue editor, character manager, scripting engine... whatever is needed? Making the tech you see in video from scratch, involves more than fiddling with some shaders or messing around with a few matrices and vectors. Inventing the wheel and all, he's done it and it is impressive. You can't have a valid opinion, because you don't know the first thing about how any of that works, do you? It's from this ignorance that your strawmen and dumb statements originate. Seeing a lot of pixels in your time is great, granps. Just stick to your teleporting scripts.

If a programmer shows his work in a form of an engine and says "this is what I can do, give me money to make my dream game", that's not relevant to making an RPG in your twisted logic. Why didn't a "designer" show a design document, as an example of his work? "I don't do engines and don't really have any gameplay to show you, but here's my 50 page awesome design document, here's all the characters and locations I've made in the 3 years slaving on my dream project. This is how combat works. These are the skills. Look at these awesome perks! Give me money to make my dream true!" Was there a DS design document floating around Kickstarter? I must have missed it.
"Ideas are a dime a dozen. People who implement them are priceless." If ideas were enough, we'd be playing AoD 5: Reloaded, a gritty reboot of hardcore T&T (talking and teleporting) game by know.

Of course combat animations looking like "drunken fighting" in an alpha version of the game are a huge deal and are gleefully derided by simpletons. Have you looked the animations in DS lately? They are embarrassing garbage and that's being generous.
If you say so. Graphics are clearly very important to you, so if you say they are shit, they must be shit.
Who brought up the "drunken fighting" argument in the first place? :lol: Are you aware that you used it in your post to shit on SG and it was the reason for my initial reply? Are you forgetting things that happened hours ago now, too?

That's "several programmers"?
That's one of them. I even said "here is one" as in 1, not 2 or 3. I'm not going to go through all the discussions on the Codex and Watch for your amusement. You asked for proof that such discussions took place, I gave you a link. Don't like it? Close the tab.
But you are here for my amusement, VD :lol: Was that not clear to you from the beginning? I guess you're not playing dumb after all. Your strawmen and ignorance amuse me. I wouldn't bother responding to your dumb shit if they didn't. So why not go an extra mile like a good boy? You know you like to dig through posting history. It's your favorite thing in the world after building strawmen.

So he goes through engine features, compares them to CryEngine and Unreal Engine (licences of which go upwards of 500k), dismisses them as being "done before", "just a shader" or "you could do that if you wanted" and you respond with "well said". Do you even understand half of the things he wrote about? Why don't you have your programmer implement some of those features in your engine? How about we skip the "eye candy stuff" and go straight to real time editing? I hear it's pretty useful to have and trivial to implement, maybe Gareth could do it over the weekend? He could throw in some nice water and rain shaders if he gets bored with such a trivial task.
First, Gareth isn't my programmer. Second, we're working with an old engine which may or may not (probably not) support fancy shit. We picked this engine because it shines when it comes to RPG stuff.

Like I said before, until I see what SG's engine is capable of when it comes to hardcore RPGs, assuming he's even interested in taking it there, I can't say anything about this engine's REAL capabilities. Maybe they are as good as the visual aspect, in which case SG's programmer is the greatest fucking programmer alive. Maybe they aren't. Time will tell.
So you have no clue what you responded to? There's a surprise! So what "hardcore RPGs" have been made on Torque 3D, that impressed you so much, that you decided to use it?

What's your definition of hardcore? Is Wizardry 8 hardcore? Fallout? Do some retards bitching that they can't beat the assassin in the inn make the game hardcore? Is branching dialogue considered hardcore?

Yeah, that's all we did. Also, lol @ "your programmer can't get something to work but with the access to the source code, you can do anything!"
You really should just read things you quote before replying. Is replying blindly considered hardcore now?

With access and knowledge of source code you can do anything, iterate faster, not wasting time on things that are impractical to implement. Do you want me to repeat that again? Access and knowledge. Access and knowledge. That second word is knowledge. Let me use it in a sentence. If you write your own engine, you have the knowledge of all of its internal workings. Here's another. If you don't know how to implement tagged skills, you lack the knowledge of your engine and it takes 10 years to make a visual novel with janky TB combat. Understand know?

We've seen your engine in hot RPG action. It neither runs well, plays well nor looks good.
And of course everyone shares your opinion because it's teh truth. The game sucks because you said so.

Ooooh, the passive-aggressively-condescending "if you say so" defense :lol: I see getting paid to lie has taught you some nice tricks. Ooops, ad hominem! I know you are more of a strawman person yourself. I like to mix it up.

If anything, you should be thanking me for telling you the truth. "The game is not for you", "well other people like it", "you don't get it"... Don't be like Bethesda/Bioware, bro. That's not hardcore.

Anyway, that comment was about technical side of things. The game's technical performance can be described as tolerable at best. I only brought AoD up, because it shares the engine with DS. Same team, same engine, same tools, different writer = same shit. The only redeeming factor would be that the tools are amazingly awesome to work with. Are you really going to claim that?

I don't hate SG. I'm just not as impressed with the 'other than the pretty visuals' stuff as you are.

Another strawman... aaaaand curtains!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone know why Marsal has such a hard-on for VD and AoD? Ex-employee? Spurned lover?

It's just a manifestation of the ancient blood feud between programmers and artist-designers.

Vault Dweller

Developer

Strawman. It's not about the graphics. Talk is cheap. Making engines is hard. Showing what you made > talking about your game in general terms.
And yet it is about the graphics. You've bitched about DS quite often and never about the mechanics. Your issues are: bad portraits, bad AI, bad animations, bad visuals, long development time.

As for engines, not sure how far your understanding of engines goes, but what we've seen in Sui Generis KS is an engine with the most basic functionality. For example, if you were to get Unity, you'd be able to get to this stage within a few weeks, just to give you an idea. It would take at least a year to turn Unity into an RPG engine.

Now, again, the SG programmer deserves everyone's respect for making his own engine from scratch and achieving such stellar visuals. I think we all agree that when it comes to visuals, the engine is much better than any other engine, so I'm not criticizing what he did. I'm merely pointing out that we haven't seen the rest and the rest is the most important part. Even the last development update talks about the challenges of implementing dynamic stories but shows nothing but multilayer clothing on different characters.

Strange that you'd bring up Wizardry 8 which was a pretty decent (I'd even say good) looking game at the time it was released. Interface and portraits were fine. The main problem was slow combat resolution, not the graphics. Is your mind playing tricks on you, old man? I don't usually like blobbers, but I enjoyed W8, more so with sped up combat. I would have thought you'd reach deeper to establish your street cred and non-graphic-whorishness.
Didn't I say that I've enjoyed it? Loved the mechanics, liked the graphics, hated the portraits. Sue me.

Again missing the point. I don't care that he worked 3 years or 10 years on the game. Good for him. But having no game to show at all after 3 years of work undermines your "ability to deliver" argument. 3 years with the "awesome engine for hardcore RPGs with all of the integrated systems" and it produced shit in the way of gameplay. Do you understand now?
It took InXile a year to show the first gameplay video. Why? Because you need to do a shitload of systems that form gameplay. Developing and integrating these systems together takes time. So, a year, with a decent size team working full time, and 3 mil budget.

Compare it to working with 3 people part-time on pure enthusiasm. Look at how long it took us to get to demo stage. I know you think that AoD is shit and all, but it takes many years, when you work part-time, to make a game like AoD. Or Dead State.

Again with the stupid comparisons. You compare AAA engines to the work of one guy, again? And the comparison isn't unfavorable? Meh, not that impressive, seen it before. Are you aware how asinine that is?
You missing the praise on purpose?

One last time, the visual aspects of his engine are amazing. The guy did a fantastic job there, but I don't care about pretty games where you run around battling monsters. Until I see the rest, until I see the RPG aspects, especially those related to dynamic storytelling, his work, as impressive and praise-worthy as it is, doesn't have much value.

Again, it's not about the graphics.
If he can implement all those "pretty graphical nonsense", what makes you think he can't or hasn't already made a dialogue editor, character manager, scripting engine... whatever is needed? Making the tech you see in video from scratch, involves more than fiddling with some shaders or messing around with a few matrices and vectors.
Because you need more than some editors, some scripts, some 'character manager' to make what he promised. I'm curious to see what he can do, which is why I check the updates, but it's not as easy as you think. Now, since you think that I'm dumb and can only do teleporting scripts, let me quote the developer himself:

'During our Kickstarter campaign we were criticised for showing a lot of technology but not enough of a game or story. This was frustrating for us because actually the dynamic story is one of the aspects of the game we're most excited about. Technology is just a tool to support that vision and make the world more immersive.

We talked about a "dynamic story" but that could mean anything. Because we don't know how much we can accomplish it's been difficult for us to go into much detail, and we couldn't promise things we weren't sure we can deliver. Now we're actively working towards this goal and we need to tell you what we're working on. Still this is a complex topic that is difficult to explain concisely so please bear with us as we try to convey our ideas.

<here is what we want to do>

Can we really do all this? As we've said before, we have to try. It is difficult, we ourselves have to occasionally remind ourselves why it might be possible. We are committed to it and actively working towards it. To us this is the only way worth doing it. It’s the same attitude we have with everything. We're doing combat using physics because that's kind of how it works. It might be far from perfect but it's a lot better and infinitely less boring than comparing a couple of numbers."

If a programmer shows his work in a form of an engine and says "this is what I can do, give me money to make my dream game", that's not relevant to making an RPG in your twisted logic.
Because it is design not engine that makes a good RPG. There is nothing twisted about this logic, but we've seen a number of really good looking games with poor mechanics, which made these games worthless.

In other words, I'm convinced that Madoc is a great programmer. I have no idea if he's a good designer because I haven't seen anything yet.

Why didn't a "designer" show a design document, as an example of his work? "I don't do engines and don't really have any gameplay to show you, but here's my 50 page awesome design document, here's all the characters and locations I've made in the 3 years slaving on my dream project. This is how combat works. These are the skills. Look at these awesome perks! Give me money to make my dream true!" Was there a DS design document floating around Kickstarter? I must have missed it.
I didn't pay much attention to Brian's KS updates, so I have no idea what he did show there and what he didn't, but I know that he made a LOT of detailed posts on the forums prior to KS, during the 3 years, explaining different mechanics in details. So, the info was definitely there.

"Ideas are a dime a dozen. People who implement them are priceless."
Ideas are a dime a dozen. Good design isn't, which is why the list of good RPGs is very short, while the list of forgettable RPGs grows with every year.

So you have no clue what you responded to? There's a surprise! So what "hardcore RPGs" have been made on Torque 3D, that impressed you so much, that you decided to use it?

What's your definition of hardcore? Is Wizardry 8 hardcore? Fallout? Do some retards bitching that they can't beat the assassin in the inn make the game hardcore? Is branching dialogue considered hardcore?
His heart seems to be set on an action RPG and he doesn't seem to like the traditional PnP mechanics (numbers and all).

With access and knowledge of source code you can do anything, iterate faster, not wasting time on things that are impractical to implement. Do you want me to repeat that again? Access and knowledge. Access and knowledge. That second word is knowledge. Let me use it in a sentence. If you write your own engine, you have the knowledge of all of its internal workings. Here's another. If you don't know how to implement tagged skills, you lack the knowledge of your engine and it takes 10 years to make a visual novel with janky TB combat. Understand know?
When you license an engine, you get access to the source code. It takes time to learn the engine (at least a year in Torque's case), but eventually you'll learn it. Naturally, working with your own engine is better, but it will take a long time to get your engine to the stage that you need. I'm sure that eventually Madoc can get it there, but by doing KS he sort of forced his hand. Sure, he can delay the game, but he can't delay it for years and years are what he needs to make the rest as impressive as the visuals.

I do enjoy your condescending comments about AoD, so keep 'em coming.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Anyone know why Marsal has such a hard-on for VD and AoD? Ex-employee? Spurned lover?
As my signature states, the Codex is a place where all games suck. Thus, by attacking AoD, Marsal is merely doing his part in keeping traditions alive. He hates the game, so that you don't have to.

A true patriot.

:salute:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
As my signature states, the Codex is a place where all games suck. Thus, by attacking AoD, Marsal is merely doing his part in keeping traditions alive. He hates the game, so that you don't have to.

A true patriot.

:salute:

I don't hate AoD, I'll happily pirate it and give it a go before uninstall.exe....

Vault Dweller

Developer
I knew I could count on you, commie!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom