Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampire: Redemption

ElastiZombie

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
the whole thing just makes me want to go out and kill larpers. I guess I'm a vampireophobe.

It is annoying to a point but it's much worse in Redemption. Christopher is the worst offender, and considering he talks in that old medieval discourse most of the time it's pretty bad.

Man, you said it. All the thees and thous were driving me mental. And some of those conversations just seemed to go on forever. I felt like I was trapped in an amateur medieval faire and couldn't get out.

obediah

Erudite
Admiral jimbob said:
obediah said:
VenomByte said:
Shame. You're missing out on a pretty good RPG.

No kidding. I was getting along pretty well, but now I have to go talk to some uber hipster she-vampire that dresses like jailbat and runs a danceclub. I've played a lot of jrpgs, and I've never encountered anything that lame before. *shivers*, the whole thing just makes me want to go out and kill larpers. I guess I'm a vampireophobe.

The whole Jeanette\Therese thing was quite interesting, I thought.

Well I bucked up, and have been playing Bloodlines some more through the week. I'd guess I'm about halfway through the Hollywood quests. Not that anyone cares, but my impressions:

* As soon as someone said there was a Jeanette/Therese thing, I guessed what it was. And was nearly certain I was right after a few minutes of playing the game. I wasn't really impressed.

* Conversation and options is brilliant in the game. Almost worth playing through it again for.

* Roleplaying isn't working out so well. Support the faggy old manipulative by-the-books vamipres? Ugh. Support the faggy free-love vampires? ugh. Every conversation should include the option "Jesus, you fuckers are gay!", but then that would get old. I realize this isn't the games fault, but I still blame Troika for taking on such a lame license.

* Combat is fucking horrible. Worse the BG, Oblivion, Jade Empire and Arcanum all rolled up together. I truly hate it. I used the console to max out my melee combat skills - I still hate it but at least I can just slash through it rather than reloading over and over until I luck into the right clicky pattern.

* The sea house was a pretty neat level. I'm not sure I liked it as much as some others here, but it was very solid atmosphere over action.

* My favorite level so far has been the psychologists mansion - just because of the recordings.

Texas Red

Whiner
"Worse the BG, Oblivion, Jade Empire and Arcanum all rolled up together."

What in the hell are you talking about? BG combat is excellent! Or did you just load up Shadows of Amn and where too overwhelmed and died too easily?

Nael

Arcane
obediah said:
* Conversation and options is brilliant in the game. Almost worth playing through it again for.

Try playing as a Malkavian female. It's the only way to play the game if you like "fun" dialogue :twisted:

St. Toxic

Arcane
The Vamp games can have me going ( in between the 'run around and kill shit forever, mr Speech skill' sections ) due to the basic concept of being in a small elite force that views humans as cattle, and having the only real conflicts between members of this elite force adds to the overall sense of defining "us" and "them" as two completely detached factions. In short, it reminds me of Duck & Cover.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
:necro:

The AI of my coterie keeps attacking random innocents on the street, their humanity is becoming dangerously low. Anyone know how to stop this from happening?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
:necro:

The AI of my coterie keeps attacking random innocents on the street, their humanity is becoming dangerously low. Anyone know how to stop this from happening?

You must have set their stance to aggressive, in the lower left corner (your UI HUD) you have a shield, half moon and sword icon, if the sword is selected they'll attack everything on sight, set it to defensive (shield) or neutral (half-moon).

Poor game. They couldn't decide whether they wanted a tactical party game or a fast paced hack & slash and the result is a poor game that is neither and on equal footing to the worst of both plus abysmal writing, boring level design, terrible voice acting, monotonous music and stupid plot. Watching a Let's Play of it is likely a more entertaining and productive course to follow than to actual play this thing.

Borelli

Arcane
Diablo clone with some really nice graphics. It's a good thing i played it before Bloodlines otherwise i would find it unbearable. Having your party members be able to heal off each other is an interesting party mechanic.
Fuck those Tremere wizards and their fire spells.:x

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I actually ended up with a build that was unable to kill those Tremere wizards. I got killed very quickly, before I could even land a few shots. And the game before encountering them was so easy...

Ended up looking for trainers, couldn't find any, and gave up on the game...

If youl like gay sex, erh I mean vampires, you might like it okay.

Yeah, that's why I avoided Bloodlines -- I thought "vampires? Gothy emo dudes with lots of black eyeliner? No thanks" but it turned out to be a decent game, and I only got around to playing after seeing lots of recommendations for it here on the Codex. KOTOR was the same for me -- avoided it for years because, well, SW is its own kind of emo garbage -- but it was fun (I know, roll 1d20x100 to determine how much Codex Credit I lose).

Name

Cipher
When do those Tremere wizards show up? First part or second part?

And this game is on codex top 50 rpg list.

J1M

Arcane
Surprised to see so much love for this product here. It was 90% trash combat.

Borelli

Arcane
When do those Tremere wizards show up? First part or second part?

And this game is on codex top 50 rpg list.
Medieval part. In prague. Most annoying thing when fighting them was the low hit rate of my characters despite me putting a lot of points in DEX and STR whatever. There is no blood ability that lets you protect against fire so zerging them is the only option.

Leimreу

Novice
Play it only if you like VtM lore. The game has a lot of excessive, mindless h&s combat, but it's still fun due to well-made character advancement system, which includes shittons of disciplines to learn. The protag is also probably the most badass high-gen vampire character in all of VtM lore.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It's one of my favourite games, IMO much more than even the best hack and slash. I loved the plot (there were a few interesting plot twists plus a time-skip which made this game very refreshing), there were several endings, shitload of disciplines to learn and very interesting locations (sometimes with puzzles and different ways to advance). And most importantly it was fun to play. I highly recommend to at least try and play.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
VTMR has its fair share of flaws (such as horrible companions AI and Diablo like linear dungeon/level design) but it has an amazing art direction and atmosphere, not to mention that (as already mentioned) it has a fun character development system with lots of disciplines to mock around with.

It does kinda fall apart once you get to the modern age though (I have replayed it many times over the years mainly until that point), the Prague part is by far the best.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Medieval part. In prague. Most annoying thing when fighting them was the low hit rate of my characters despite me putting a lot of points in DEX and STR whatever. There is no blood ability that lets you protect against fire so zerging them is the only option.

Hit chance and critical hit chance depends on DEX so it's the most important stat to focus at the beginning (I'd lay off upgrading disciplines for Christof aside from Blood Healing until later), with solid DEX and a good melee weapon (such as exquisite flamberge) you shouldn't have much trouble with Tremeres in the Chantry, maybe upgrade Feed for Wilhelm (don't waste points there for Christof as you'll get the alternative for stealing blood for him in the same dungeon, just be thorough when searching and use all the discipline/magic tomes you find on Christof) so you can slice the enemy while he feeds on him.

Borelli

Arcane
The cost to increase a stat is bigger the higher the stat is, i did pump DEX until the cost was too high but i still wasn't satisfied with the general to hit rate in the game. Still i eventually managed to defeat Tremere, luckily 0 hp in this game means unconscious rather than dead. The game became easier once i figured to mind control the last enemy vampire then group feed him to save on potions.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
The cost to increase a stat is bigger the higher the stat is, i did pump DEX until the cost was too high but i still wasn't satisfied with the general to hit rate in the game. Still i eventually managed to defeat Tremere, luckily 0 hp in this game means unconscious rather than dead. The game became easier once i figured to mind control the last enemy vampire then group feed him to save on potions.

Well it's not like they come back on their own once the battle is over (like KOTOR or Mass Effect), you still have to use awaken scroll/spell on them (though even if you don't, funnily enough they'll be alive and well in cutscenes) though they are plentiful and cheap.

One of the worst things about companions AI is how amazingly quickly they burn through potions but it shouldn't be a problem for Christof if you find the Blood Magic tome, don't sell it or use it on someone else.

If you have money problems (stocking on potions can be expensive, let alone if you want to buy some magic artifacts and stuff from the witch) you could also always pick one char (say that Cappadocian chick) and pump his/her manipulation, it cuts down the cost of thing drastically (at one point you can even turn profit by selling items for more than you bought them).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom