Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Underworld Sequel

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by Charles-cgr, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Click here and disable ads!
    Looking forward to this Charles. Loved the first game (though still working my way through it with my Codex party).

^ Top  
  2. Charles-cgrgender: ⚧ OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    :rpgcodex:Curious to see your take on the last 6 levels. :D

^ Top  
  3. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    heh I made it to the uh... "Fire" level, then I re-started my codex party. So sure. I'll share some thought's. I still enjoy the original game. It is a good kick ass solid blobber old school game (and good combat, man I SO miss that). Just looking forward to the new over-world and all the new nasty creatures we will encounter. And the new classes sound very interesting.

^ Top  
  4. visionsgender: ⚧ Magister

visions
    Parrots:
    Late to the party but I quite like that mockup.

^ Top  
  5. Charles-cgrgender: ⚧ OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Parrots:
    visions That's the one I'm going for. Not to say it is entirely final yet, given the early stages of development, but that's the basic idea. Party grouped close to the icons which will be at the bottom right and game texts below the world view.

^ Top  
  6. Charles-cgrgender: ⚧ OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  7. Mortmalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    Actually the new UI choice doesnt sound a bad idea, it remembers me a bit of the interface of drakkhen , however in drakkhen the paperdolll were reflecting wich items your characters were using, i dont know if its the case there.Id say i prefer the last one , but all 3 are good to be honest.

^ Top  
  8. Excommunicatorgender: ⚧ Arcane

Excommunicator
    Parrots:
    Don't like the "modern" one. Don't pretend to be something you're not. You have an oldschool game with "practical" visuals and a non-animated world, there's absolute no reason to try to modernise or minimise the interface.

The one with the octopus is good. I still think you should tone down the red saturation though

^ Top  
  9. zeitgeistgender: ⚧ Augur

zeitgeist
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

The emblem could have movement arrows or a compass integrated to justify its existence. Or both.

^ Top  
  10. Charles-cgrgender: ⚧ OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Parrots:
    zeitgeist I'm not sure what you mean by emblem... At the bottom right or the logo at the top right?

Maybe we aren't on the same page - I just realized there isn't a copy of the new GUI here (only in the page I linked to a couple posts up)

[​IMG]

Excommunicator I'll look into the saturation. This choice between old and new is a tough one. I see what you mean but the reviewer on CanardPC was quite unpleasant about the GUI... Still this one addresses some of the concerns raised at least. And my personal preference changes every other day :roll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. zeitgeistgender: ⚧ Augur

zeitgeist
    Parrots:
    Missed that one, sorry! I was talking about the version with the huge one above the text box in this post.

^ Top  
  12. Charles-cgrgender: ⚧ OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Parrots:

That's what I figured. My fault, lazy update on my part ;)

^ Top  
  13. laclongquangender: ⚧ Arcane

laclongquan
    Parrots:
    Why dont you push the 6 character buttons upward and keep the automap at the bottom. Drop the last big button altogether, more space for automap.

^ Top  
  14. Charles-cgrgender: ⚧ OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Parrots:
    That would be more vertical space for the automap. It would need as much horizontal space to really be useful and that block at the bottom right is meant for buttons like search, map...

I'm also thinking about buttons in the bottom center though. Perhaps I'll split them according to function (party vs environment) or duplicate them for easier mouse access...

^ Top  
  15. Charles-cgrgender: ⚧ OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  16. Angelo85gender: ⚧ Liturgist

Angelo85
    Parrots:
    Map looks nice!
    If I'm not mistaken it's made with the Campaign Cartographer from ProFantasy, yes? Been using it myself for Pen and Paper purposes but I can't get mine to look so good :(

^ Top  
  17. Charles-cgrgender: ⚧ OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Parrots:
    Angelo85 I couldn't say. I sent a pencil drawing to the artist and got that back a couple weeks later. :)

^ Top  
  18. Scroogegender: ⚧ tasty cats Patron

Scrooge
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The map really is looking great. Reminds me of the old Might and Magic games. Good stuff Charles!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Charles-cgrgender: ⚧ OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Parrots:
    Thanks Ebenezer,

The artist will be duly congratulated (again) :)

^ Top  
  20. Niektorygender: ⚧ one of some Patron

Niektory
    Parrots:
    Wow, I see you're not holding back with the number of locations. Are you going for a less linear approach with more optional content?

^ Top  
  21. Charles-cgrgender: ⚧ OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Parrots:
    Hey Underworld isn't THAT linear :)

But yes, Sovereign is set out to be a lot less so. Although absence of level scaling tends to set a path I'll do my best to leave lots of options. Dungeons, caverns and the like, for instance, can be accessible to a low level party but impossible to complete until a certain amount of strength is built up.

Some places however will be punishing from the offstart so exploring will always be a possibility at the player's risk. But with the ability to save anywhere, why not go see that dark knight or that red dragon with a lvl 1 party? It'll be quick and painless :)

^ Top  
  22. Gakkonegender: ⚧ pretty cool guy eh Patron

Gakkone
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Can't wait to hear about character development. M&M tribute or not, that's one area I'd like to see improved over the previous game.

^ Top  
  23. Charles-cgrgender: ⚧ OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Parrots:
    The character creation post has been delayed a bit (lots of little things to settle like cross-requirements, descriptions...) but I uploaded a new GUI with... portraits! And a new town environment. It's a lot more popamole. :)

The character update will be up in a week or two now.

[​IMG]

For those that like to comment on the dev blog (always appreciated) the entry is here.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    I like that GUI. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Gakkonegender: ⚧ pretty cool guy eh Patron

Gakkone
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Ain't no thang bro.

The GUI is... small. I like the portraits and the art a lot. In fact I think it looks so good you won't hear even the Codex bitch about it.

But will it be possible to play without a mouse? I actually preferred using the keyboard in the first game.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)