Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Again, it's still pretty early in the game. Like you seem to imply, you just got bad rolls right there. It wasn't that the rats are bullet sponges, it's that your weapon suck and your skill still suck at the time.

I'm getting nothing but bad rolls then.

Then you just sucked at timing your point n' clicking. How the hell did you even likes top-down isometric turn-based cRPGs, then? Or maybe, you don't?

The controls and enemy movement behavior (at least as far as rathounds go) for this game are an utter mess wrt to real time sneaking. A dedicated stealth game this is not.

Again, what kind of build you want to make?

An assault rifle/sniper build would require 10 PER from the very start. If I'm not mistaken, every point put into PER onward would provide more significant bonus to the total amount of Guns skill. And with all the points you can get in Guns, it will also increase the damage dealt by the weapon.

I looked at the perk list and built around the perks. With points left over, I decided to put 9 in both agility and perception because I wanted to both sneak well and hit well and having 10 in one and 8 in the other seemed like there would have been too much of a disadvantage in the other.

If this is a game where you absolutely have to max out an attribute just to make a viable character then I've overestimated how well the system is put together.

Black Angel

Arcane
No, look at my edited post above. There will be some circumstances where you can get the full benefits of a silenced weapons, later on in the game. But right now, when the weapons still suck and your skill still suck, is not the time.

Drop the silenced weapon, get the unmodded one, and wear your armor.

The controls and enemy movement behavior (at least as far as rathounds go) for this game are an utter mess wrt to real time sneaking. A dedicated stealth game this is not.
Actually, now that I think about it, did you play with Classic or Oddity system? In Oddity system, with that high of PER and just walk around checking shelves and boxes, you can get to lv. 2 pretty quickly, raise your Guns and Stealth skill, and get a 3rd perk. Maybe that would help with more stealthy approach.

I looked at the perk list and built around the perks. With points left over, I decided to put 9 in both agility and perception because I wanted to both sneak well and hit well and having 10 in one and 8 in the other seemed like there would have been too much of a disadvantage in the other.

If this is a game where you absolutely have to max out an attribute just to make a viable character then I've overestimated how well the system is put together.
Well, a hybrid, let alone a jack-of-all-trades type of character for first playthrough is a no-no. But looking at it, you CAN make a sniper build instead (since a pistolero or spec-ops with SMG is not viable with average DEX), but early on it's important to prioritize what approach you prefer. If you want to shoot, 10 PER. If you want to sneak, 10 AGI. If you want to do both, do it next playthrough after you're familiar with the system.

However, since you seems like you want to insist using this build, all I can tell you is to drop that silenced weapon and get the unmodded one, and wear your armor. And/or if you're playing on Oddity, check the shelves in the buildings of the first cave-area, since if I'm not mistaken you can immediately get to lvl. 2

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
32694849535_a8a3445cc8_o.png

32315554420_1fbdee9d44_o.png

32694849325_bac603ce57_o.png

32694850075_a0d7c4b42f_o.png

31851934594_b44c83b77e_o.png

I made this retarded pistol build just to check your complaints.

As you can see above, two rathounds are dead without any scratch on me cause you can kill at least one rathound per turn while start dmg-ing another.

Edit: Yeah, you are using a retarded pistol.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
This game is played with a full build before character creation, or you will suffer.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Again, it's still pretty early in the game. Like you seem to imply, you just got bad rolls right there. It wasn't that the rats are bullet sponges, it's that your weapon suck and your skill still suck at the time.

Then you just sucked at timing your point n' clicking. How the hell did you even likes top-down isometric turn-based cRPGs, then? Or maybe, you don't?

Again, what kind of build you want to make?

An assault rifle/sniper build would require 10 PER from the very start. If I'm not mistaken, every point put into PER onward would provide more significant bonus to the total amount of Guns skill. And with all the points you can get in Guns, it will also increase the damage dealt by the weapon.

Look above - you have a build for pistol (PER) and for Stealth (DEX).

And no, you don't have to go with those retarded stats: 7 or 8 for DEX or PER is enough and then you have plenty of stat points to go around.

Edit: Use this to build your character - http://underrail.info.tm/

http://underrail.info.tm/?build=AwGloRhBWEHYaIBwgMzxBWWy5-2SQzY8XMsnSkAJlSA

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Underrail threads... underrail screenshots... im starting to shiver, starting to plan a build, fuggg. Hurry up with the god damn dlc already, dont know how much longer i can keep myself from starting over.

Black Angel

Arcane
Thing is, we didn't know how much CON Roguey actually had, and we also didn't know how much STR his character had so we can't be sure if he can even make a sniper build. On the other hand, it seems like he also only had 6-7 DEX, so a pistolero build is already messed at the start. Either reroll a new character, or just drop the silenced weapon.

Also Roguey I see you do use the Oddity system. I checked and it's hard to get that 4th oddity to get to level 2 if you're new to the game, so if you want to insist to use this character, drop the silenced weapon and get an unmodded one. Seems like you don't want to use your armor because it slowed you down and reduce dodge/evasion because of the penalty, so I want to know what's the 2nd feat you take aside from Aimed Shot.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Underrail threads... underrail screenshots... im starting to shiver, starting to plan a build, fuggg. Hurry up with the god damn dlc already, dont know how much longer i can keep myself from starting over.

Don't tell me. I started the game just to try the build above ... *FUCK* ... I cannot wait for the expansion.

Sykar

Arcane
Please post screenshots with skills and the pistol u are using.

V1XJ7N9.jpg

e2Bx0rv.jpg

Silenced Weapon? SILENCED WEAPON? And you do no tell me this? Yeah of course your damage sucks ass with silenced weapons their damage is reduced by quite a bit.

Thing is, we didn't know how much CON Roguey actually had, and we also didn't know how much STR his character had so we can't be sure if he can even make a sniper build. On the other hand, it seems like he also only had 6-7 DEX, so a pistolero build is already messed at the start. Either reroll a new character, or just drop the silenced weapon.

Also Roguey I see you do use the Oddity system. I checked and it's hard to get that 4th oddity to get to level 2 if you're new to the game, so if you want to insist to use this character, drop the silenced weapon and get an unmodded one. Seems like you don't want to use your armor because it slowed you down and reduce dodge/evasion because of the penalty, so I want to know what's the 2nd feat you take aside from Aimed Shot.

Well I can tell from personal experience that Sniper/PSI hybrid works well for the most part with 10 Wil and 12 Per (or 12 Wil and 10 Per, depending on preference).

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No, look at my edited post above. There will be some circumstances where you can get the full benefits of a silenced weapons, later on in the game. But right now, when the weapons still suck and your skill still suck, is not the time.

This is the gun the weapons guy gave me. You're telling me that because of my build, the game gave me a completely worthless good-for-nothing weapon? This is downgrading my opinion from "I don't like it" to "This is unintuitive garbage full of trap options made by an amateur." Since I can't play with the character concept I wanted to use, I'm not going to play it at all.

Not that it matters, but suppressive fire.

Sykar

Arcane

This is the gun the weapons guy gave me. You're telling me that because of my build, the game gave me a completely worthless good-for-nothing weapon? This is downgrading my opinion from "I don't like it" to "This is unintuitive garbage full of trap options made by an amateur." Since I can't play with the character concept I wanted to use, I'm not going to play it at all.

I have never ever gotten a silenced pistol at the start in about 10 playthroughs.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

This is the gun the weapons guy gave me.

There are two ways to acquire a weapon at the beginning of the game:

1) Do tutorial

31891432173_cf8db88d34_o.png

2) Ask Lucas for your weapon

32663579796_4d977e440f_o.png

32324824330_dbb0e288dc_o.png

31861183104_6c6591852b_o.png

I tried this shit like 5 times and the original weapon is not randomized therefore YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT!!! :)

The only way to get a silenced pistol is to trade it with Lucas (or some other merchant) therefore the reality is something like this:
1) The game did not give you "a worthless good-for-nothing weapon",
2) The game provides you with at least 2 armors however your character doesn't wear any,
3) You trade that weapon for a retarded one because you don't know or don't care about what you are doing in the game,
4) You prefer to whine like a little bitch instead of learning the game's ropes cause in fact you can kill all the rathounds even with that retarded weapon (the game is quite generous with stimpaks).

"Since I can't play with the character concept I wanted to use, I'm not going to play it at all."
Goral is a special type of imbecile but you take home the cake: you gimped your character by trading for a stupid weapon, you are not wearing an armor, you are lying to cover your stupidity, you are not willing to learn or even try.

What the fuck do you want besides trolling?

EDIT: FUCK I'M WRONG.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Roguey I apologize. I'm a retard.

However you are not far from me:
1) Silenced 5mm Hawker - read the description,
2) Use a armor - you get one doing the tutorial or simply buy one from Lucas.

Black Angel

Arcane
Holy shit.

Either way, you should've noticed that the weapon did fuck all damage. You should've traded it for something better. Luckily, a modded weapon is much more expensive than an unmodded one, so you could obviously get an even better starting weapon.

It does. You seem to not wear any armor because of the penalty reducing stealth and dodge/evasion. If you had Nimble, you don't have to worry wearing an armor with <15% penalty. But since you get Suppressive Fire.... well, either you should reroll your character, or get an SMG because that feat is next to useless, especially this early in the game.

Lhynn

Arcane
All rewards are randomized (this includes the weapon at the start). I remember basically rerunning the start of the game several times till i got a decent armor because i started with a gimp build that couldnt survive otherwise until much later down the road.
Doesnt really matter tho, Roguey early game threw you a curve ball with a shitty gun, figure it out, or start over. Thats how underrail does.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You're telling me that because of my build, the game gave me a completely worthless good-for-nothing weapon? This is downgrading my opinion from "I don't like it" to "This is unintuitive garbage full of trap options made by an amateur."

Yeah, yeah, I know, you just couldn't wait to play this so you could troll about it with at least something to back it up. I appreciate the effort, really, but...

Since I can't play with the character concept I wanted to use, I'm not going to play it at all.

:retarded:

Good riddance. Go back to Sawyer's comfortable and intuitive arms.

P.S. This amateur did a better and more balanced game on the first try than a "professional" did in how many already? lul

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom