Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I swear I skimmed the latest update for that info. Hmm. I really don't like this choice. What gives, Styg?

EDIT:
These changes were done for two reasons which tie into the same problem. One - they were meant to make the psi cost more relevant when choosing what to invoke. The cost of the psi abilities have been re-balanced accordingly - those abilities that were meant to be used as primary attacks, such as neural overload, cryokinesis and electrokinesis, have a low cost and can be spammed without running out of psi. However, those high impact abilities, such as bilocation and cryostasis can run you out of psi quickly.

The second reason, which is related to the first one, is to curb the multi-disciplined psi build. As it stands in the release version, builds that go for full psi can generally invest into all three schools of psi without much trouble because they all rely on the same base stat and also share a number of beneficial feats. This grants the player access to a large amount of crowd-control and AoE abilities that they can invoke in short 1-2 turn burst which makes most encounters a breeze. Now, however, the limited psi pool will keep that in check. You will still be able to spec in all the schools if you wish, but you won't be able to bring down the full power of all of them at the same time.

Another happy consequence of this change is that the psi builds will have easier time in early game because they won't have to worry about psi boosters as much. Now keep in mind that the numbers stated above are not set in stone. We haven't still done any extensive testing of this change so tweaks are likely to happen. Also, I'll probably introduce a couple of feats in the future that will allow the player to slightly expand the psi pool or increase the psi regeneration.

Ah, ok. Fair enough. That makes a lot of sense.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Okay guys. Real noob question. There was some bounty letter or something in a lockbox I think, but as soon as I clicked take all it disappeared (It said I could learn or something from three of them?). I don't really know. Maybe someone could shine a light on what just happened.

(I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.)

Loriac

Arcane
Okay guys. Real noob question. There was some bounty letter or something in a lockbox I think, but as soon as I clicked take all it disappeared (It said I could learn or something from three of them?). I don't really know. Maybe someone could shine a light on what just happened.

That was an oddity - the descriptions are worth reading once, but are really just fluff. As soon as you take the item, you get your xp (one bar if playing oddity xp, a fixed amount of xp if playing classic I think) and the item disappears.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

That was an oddity - the descriptions are worth reading once, but are really just fluff. As soon as you take the item, you get your xp (one bar if playing oddity xp, a fixed amount of xp if playing classic I think) and the item disappears.
Thanks man. That explains it. :)

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Some oddities give more than one bar, just to be clear.

summerloud

Novice
Damn the Warehouse mission for Coretech is hard, what level did you guys do it at? Maybe I should go do other stuff first.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Styg just a heads up, had a weird bug trying to enter the Ambassador's office in junkyard.

Alsoplustoo: I love the new music. Whoever says otherwise is a dickslapping idiot.

Last edited:

summerloud

Novice
Yeah the music is incredible, the south gate track and now the core city track keep getting stuck in my head.

darthaegis

Cipher
Styg, just stopped by to say I'm loving this game, and to share this screenshot in case no one has already.
kAYepnn.jpg

Planescape: Torment reference? :)

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So i read the stats advices and that i suppose to min/max like hell. Or am i?
Seems like some builds are way more fun. I could build STR 10 armored dude with a hammer and have INT 10 doing crafting, same for WIL 10 dude (can do all magix and still have free stats).

But a stealthy sniper with a melee as backup and crafting - can't be done, or stats will be shit (must have high STR, PER, AGI). So what build does best in combat and is fun to play (i.e. with crafting)?

Right now i did a stealthy melee/throwing guy with hacking/lockpicking/traps + evasion/dodge - no room for anything else. Statswise 10 DEX/AGI, 6 STR, 5 CON. Looks like combat will be easy, but i miss crafting... On the other side, armored/hammer dude seems a bit boring in combat. :negative:

ST'Ranger

Augur
So i read the stats advices and that i suppose to min/max like hell. Or am i?
Seems like some builds are way more fun. I could build STR 10 armored dude with a hammer and have INT 10 doing crafting, same for WIL 10 dude (can do all magix and still have free stats).

But a stealthy sniper with a melee as backup and crafting - can't be done, or stats will be shit (must have high STR, PER, AGI). So what build does best in combat and is fun to play (i.e. with crafting)?

Right now i did a stealthy melee/throwing guy with hacking/lockpicking/traps + evasion/dodge - no room for anything else. Statswise 10 DEX/AGI, 6 STR, 5 CON. Looks like combat will be easy, but i miss crafting... On the other side, armored/hammer dude seems a bit boring in combat. :negative:

For simplicity, let's define a strong character as one that can more easily overcome the challenges in the game (combat/quest progression/XP progression). The weakest possible character, then, is one that is maximally spread out into every skill. The most "optimized" characters in Underrail tend to be those characters which depend on 2, sometimes 3, stats. They will generally have 8-11 skills, with the others being basically 0.

However, because of the nature of certain skills and the way character progression works out at higher levels, it is actually quite "viable" to have a less focused character that can still meet all the challenges in the game. A 4-attribute character is entirely doable, especially if you are careful in planning to meet the qualifications for feats that will aid you. Early on in the game, (levels 1-5ish), it's best to have a focused set of skills because that early hump is often the hardest for non-optimized characters. Slowly siphoning points away from primary skills each level and building up the secondary skills, you'll gradually build a very resourceful character.

Keep in mind that if you want to craft something, you really will only need 2 crafting skills in most cases. Even if you've dumped intelligence, it's quite easy to meet the requirements in the long term by simply putting enough points into those skills over the course of your character progression. In fact, I'd say that most characters will use crafting at some point even if they dumped intelligence.

For newer players, I'd recommend to make only focused characters. With more experience and familiarity with the game mechanics, building a "generalist" becomes a lot easier. I should reiterate, though, my point at the very beginning of the post. A character in Underrail cannot do everything - or even get close. Characters that are too diluted will struggle a lot on Normal difficulty.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
How complete is story content? If I get 20 hours in and the last area of the game is patched in will I have to restart? I played enough to level up once, and its sitting on my desktop tempting me. I feel there's a strong chance ill enjoy it even more than wasteland 2 (which im not far in yet at all) But i dont want to burn out playing now and not appreciate it fully when its released. I noticed the recent update let me continue old saves, albeit with a "your saves may have wonkies" warning.

LizardWizard

Cipher
This is the first time I really fucked around with a AR build since the big crafting/talent changes. Wondering if I should go for any secondary combat skill at all besides guns?

Basically 7 str, max per, 7 int (for gun nut feat) and was planning on pumping Con up as I level for the tanky shit later.

Sykar

Arcane
This is the first time I really fucked around with a AR build since the big crafting/talent changes. Wondering if I should go for any secondary combat skill at all besides guns?

Basically 7 str, max per, 7 int (for gun nut feat) and was planning on pumping Con up as I level for the tanky shit later.

Why 7 str? All ARs I have seen need 6 strength. Or is it for a perk?

LizardWizard

Cipher

Why 7 str? All ARs I have seen need 6 strength. Or is it for a perk?

Yeah, full-auto requires 7 str. Was also thinking about Juggernaut down the line.

Behelit

Augur
I am considering making a stealthy "Arsenal" character with crossbows, throwing weapons and traps. Ideally, I'll eschew guns entirely. I am particularly curious about the feasibility of crossbows in the long run.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I am considering making a stealthy "Arsenal" character with crossbows, throwing weapons and traps. Ideally, I'll eschew guns entirely. I am particularly curious about the feasibility of crossbows in the long run.
When I did crossbows a long time ago, I found they were viable, but not at the very beginning. Turns out you could use guns with no points invested reasonably well until you git gud crossbows though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom