Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Morgoth, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    What kind of person puts an Aloth poster in their office?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    "In this version of Tyranny, and hopefully there will be many to come..." "As we develop the IP further..." Sequel already in the works?

^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    They're still playing on Very Easy difficulty. Boo.

Confirmed that the girl with the white hair is a potential companion. So that's at least five companions.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Tom Selleck Arcane

Tom Selleck
    Parrots:
    That's what I'll play it at, unless they have "story mode" or "enjoy the story you rotund faggot" modes, so this is informative.

^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    lol microphone off

No different C&C. Boo again.

There's no voice acting because they hadn't recorded it yet. The next stream will have it.

Different C&C! He betrayed the rebels.

Still attacked though lol

^ Top  
  6. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    The "I'm on fire!" animation is the greatest thing ever.

^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Yay, he replied to my question about C&C.

This scenario doesn't have as many choices as others, Brian says.

Oh god not the mic again

Next stream will focus more on combat, with higher difficulty

And it's over. Hey, new music.

It was basically the E3 preview video, but with a lot more explanation. This is the new best gameplay video now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So is C&C mostly cosmetic? Disappointing if so.

^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    If you're referring to what I said about getting attacked even if you betray the rebels and try to return to Kyros' side, then not quite because the rebels still hate you too. So in theory it's an entirely new path where everybody hates you.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    I very much doubt this will involve 'completely new paths' akin to Witcher 2.

^ Top  
  11. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Thanks to Something Awful, I've discovered that Tyranny has undergone Bioware infiltration:

http://www.alexanderfreed.com/bibliography/

"Editorial consultant" = a very blatant "We want the Bioware audience." :D

I'm only familiar with the Dragon Age comics he scripted. He nailed "Alistair is a big whiny baby."

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexandermfreed

Why would they hire a freelance editorial consultant? Mandated by Paradox, perhaps? Like how Ubisoft brought on the Bioshock 2/Magic Circle guy Jordan Thomas to help with South Park.

^ Top  
  13. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Parrots:
    It could have something to do with the recent departure of an employee who fulfilled a similar role. :M

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Maybe they needed the opinion of a good writer?

^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    BTW, Roguey's source: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...06905&pagenumber=845&perpage=40#post462152094

Also, apparently the name of the white-haired chick was mentioned somewhere? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780898&pagenumber=6#post462152384

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. anduin Arbiter

anduin
    Parrots:
    Roguey ,thanks.
    I've stated before that classes reminded me on KOTOR ones and rule of the two has similar equivalent in Tyranny. So, this is some kind of proof I've got the right vibe of the game.

^ Top  
  17. Sannom Savant

Sannom
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  18. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    :killit:

You know, first I thought that Obsidian developers were like “Ok, I want to do something really good, but since most players are illiterate popamoles, we need to dumb down everything in order to survive”. Now, is more like “Ok, our target audience is those guys, the Bioware ex-fans. We need to hire that guy that worked for Bioware to keep the juices flowing – dude makes “a cha ching!” song of cash register and laughs. Let’s put that “thing” those grognards called cRPGs out there quickly, because I need more time to do really important stuff, like watching football and stuff”.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Dux Savant

Dux
    Parrots:
    Back in the day I used to salivate at the prospect of a new RPG, especially an isometric one. Nowadays, the anticipation just isn't there anymore. I confess, I don't know much about Tyranny and it might very well be mint in every regard. Looking at Obsidian's recent track record, however, makes me doubt it. That's all.

Obsidian really should be everything I want. Or should have been, at the very least. News of an upcoming Obsidian RPG should galvanise someone like me, instead of mildly prodding me and make me involuntarily shrug my shoulders.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Sannom Savant

Sannom
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    I think they mentioned in the recent stream that VO recording was underway.

I like that guy's voice but it's always kind of a disappointment to hear voiceactors "repeat". I hope the other companions won't feel like "oh, that's Edér, and that's Sagani! And that's... etc" More variety please.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)