Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Felix

Arcane
Still no Ys Seven for PC :decline: :decline: :decline:

spekkio

Arcane
Captain Rufus said:
Now if we are gonna talk translations, how about the Win XP version of the first 3 Wizardries, or the Sorcerian remake?
Hell, any of the Japan only Wizardry games. Or they even did a modern Dungeon Master sequel.

Raghar said:
No translation for:
Weltorv Estleia
Soldnerschild
Zill Oll
Lunatic Dawn

That's quite bad. You know it's hard to translate quality Japanese games that are too complicated for an average US person.

Rejoice, BROS!
Gemini recently announced his another psx-translation project!

xneq6q.jpg

OMG! What can that be... :shock:

v3h7rd.jpg

It's Little Princess: Marl Okoku no Ningyo Hime 2 (Little Princess: The Puppet Princess of Marl Kingdom 2) a.k.a. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure 2

28imf0p.jpg

35ce63b.jpg

2132054.jpg

Oh, well...

wgvvv9.jpg

ecliptic

Liturgist
Black Cat said:
Will i get baned if i confess i kind of liked Rhapsody and am looking forward to this? :cry:

The dungeons were shite with the repeated six dungeon rooms pasted together into a maze of random battle, but the story and dialogue was pretty entertaining for me.

I quite enjoyed when she showed up at the ball and had the epic-Cinderella style dance with the prince. ... . in a giant bear outfit.

spekkio

Arcane
ITZ coming to US soon:
SMT: SJ

2qsbhnb.jpg
106frtc.jpg

wumb61.jpg
9ub32p.jpg

9qiw6p.jpg

10879mv.jpg

The setting and story are Strange Journey's greatest strengths. The plot opens as a straightforward sci-fi tale with references to demons and the end of the world as the only hints of spiritual influences. As the game moves on, the science-fiction aspects become less important and the focus shifts to a philosophy-driven religious plotline concerning a war between angels and demons, and whether or not there is still room for humanity in the picture.
The protagonist gets many dialogue options and choices over the course of the story, and depending on with whom he is aligned near the end, the concluding section can provide vastly different thematic messages to the player.
Unfortunately, the tone of the game changes midway through, taking with it the brisk storytelling and the frantic mood. Dungeons become long, twisted mazes, the theme shifts abruptly from escaping a science-fiction quagmire to choosing a religious alignment, and the once-consistent gameplay is turned on its head. Strange Journey suddenly changes from a traditional JRPG that happens to have first-person dungeons to an all-out dungeon crawl complete with labyrinthine layouts so complex, a pen and paper might be needed to track which pits and warps lead where.

That's not a :decline:, it's an :incline:, U moran!

I'm counting on detailed preview/review Black Cat!

Also: tested wapanese version on Desmume and it works as fuckin' charm.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Felix said:
hmm, RPGGamer.
Yes. Role-Playing Game Gamer. A gamer who games roleplaying games.

Not to be confused with people that play rpg games, although both groups oughta be shot in the head with a shovel sword bazooka.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I hate dungeon crawlers. If I'd like to play dungeon crawlers I'd use this http://ds.ign.com/articles/882/882891p1.html . SMT should be RPG, not a silly puzzle.

All these mazes were made not because it would be better, but because developers were unable to emulate a real world with open environments and detailed politics on background.

RPG Gamer is a site full of dumb people, at least if their IRC channel is anything to go by.

Picture the wussy college liberal style of RPGnet only worse.

The site itself is certainly not the worst electronic RPG website though. They at least make an ATTEMPT at covering Western games and not just be a bunch of animu fucks.

Now GIA from back in the day?

JESUS.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Mirror-Kun

"It's Little Princess: Marl Okoku no Ningyo Hime 2 (Little Princess: The Puppet Princess of Marl Kingdom 2) a.k.a. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure 2"

After some research and stuffies i have discovered we are talking about the best game, like, totally ever.

Clicky click for teh evidence, nya.

Move aside, Planescape. Goodbye, Fallout. I am going totally wapanese from now on, nya. There's simply no way to top that scene, ever.

@ Clockwork Knight

"Hey, Rhapsody is entertaining. The DS version has different combat, if anyone feels inclined to check."

How's the combat on the DS version? And, more importantly, is it harder? I just replayed the Playstation One's version and, jesus, totally charming and really fun little game but the only way to make it be easier would be to make it a slideshow.

Raghar wrote:
No translation for:
Weltorv Estleia
Soldnerschild
Zill Oll
Lunatic Dawn

That's quite bad. You know it's hard to translate quality Japanese games that are too complicated for an average US person.
I fucking hated Soldner's child, but the rest of those games are actually pretty good.
How the hell did you hear about these games? They're so damn obscure that I'm surprised that there's actually mothafuckas outside of Japan who have actually heard of them before.

Lunatic Dawn III in particular almost resembles an isometric crpg.
http://lunatic.artdink.co.jp/3rdbook/
I'm not really sure what kind of game it was from what I played though.
It was sandbox like and It had some rogue like qualities to it. (Every single town & dungeon seems to be randomly generated.)
The battle system was similar to Diablo, but that honestly doesn't matter much to me considering how much focus is placed on the exploration in Lunatic Dawn III.

I also thought it was cool how you could pretty much recruit and or kill anybody that you meet in the game. Which made Lunatic Dawn III seem even more similar to a Crpg.
If anything you'll never see Lunatic Dawn III translated into English, because it's actually too Western (complex) for the average console rpg hacker.
It's usually not the type of game that they would translate. (They normally go for linear story based Jrpgs.)

Zill O'll was also some what sand boxish and it had some pretty decent customization.
It could've been a good game. Had it not been for those meddling Final Fantasy style turn based battles that fucking ruin the entire experience.

SMT should be RPG, not a silly puzzle.
All these mazes were made not because it would be better, but because developers were unable to emulate a real world with open environments and detailed politics on background.
LOL, the dungeon crawler SMT games are the only Megami Tensei games that are worth playing. (SMT II, Megami Tensei II on the NES, SMT Nocturne, SMT Strange Journey, & Devil Summoner Soul Hackers.)

I found the atmosphere of SJ to be one of the game's strong points.
(Geah, I dl'ed the rom.)
SJ feels as atmospheric as the Kings Field games.
Especially in the first dungeon when you finally walk outside and see a post apocalyptic wasteland complete with a red sky and some random ass dragon flying around.
(That shit doesn't make any geographic sense, because they're in the antarctic, but that inconsistency merely adds to the surreal mystique.)

I honestly don't see the appeal with the Etrian Odyssey games.
They're shitty ass grind fests.
Strange Journey relies more on party management based off of the moon phases & your demon's current alignments + weaknesses.

Besides how can you not love a game that has a plot that's so fucking cliche that the token Black guy actually gets his dumbass killed first?
Being a main SMT game, I was actually expecting SMT SJ's plot to borrow from Lovecraft's "At the mountains of madness."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Mou ... of_Madness
Considering R&D1's use of Lovecraftian lore in the past, but the plot turned out to be Doom the RPG meets Aliens instead.
The site itself is certainly not the worst electronic RPG website though. They at least make an ATTEMPT at covering Western games and not just be a bunch of animu fucks.
Too bad trying just makes them look more retarded.
Rpgamers editorials still suck ass like RPGfan.
Are All Games Becoming RPGs?
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2009/450.html
Where Mass Effect was loaned statistics and dialogue trees, it also borrowed first-person shooting and action game aesthetics.
He's obviously never heard of Amiga's Hired Guns. Or most action based first person dungeon crawlers.

Unless you are from the UK or that furry who makes the Sabrina Online comics you probably haven't even HEARD of an Amiga.

I honestly can't fault anyone (except for Commodore who somehow FUCKED UP a computer that was a good 6-10 years ahead of its time and still 1/2 to 1/4th the price of competing PCs and Macs. HOW DO YOU MANAGE THIS?) for not really knowing about the Amiga.

Shadow of the Beast was probably played more on the Genesis (which was basically an Amiga anyhow. Only it was US released like 4-5 years after the A1000) than it was on the Amiga. Can probably say the same for Gods, Stormlord, and a host of other games that got their starts on the Amiga or ST.

Though yeah, that article isn't exactly the most brilliant.

And these days most of the RPG sites are wondering if RPGs are basically becoming OTHER genres and trying to hide/erase their RPG elements.

(Though most of their editorials used to be reader submitted. I might have one from my FUCK CONSOLE RPGS RAARGH IM AN ELITIST DOUCHENOZZLE days in there someplace.)

spekkio

Arcane
Black Cat said:
I was able to finish La Pucelle - Tactics, so I survived this video. Barely...

Black Cat said:
How's the combat on the DS version? And, more importantly, is it harder?
HG101
Shitty port is shitty anyway.
But the site above reminded me that we need avatars from La Pucelle. Right now!

How the hell did you hear about these games? They're so damn obscure that I'm surprised that there's actually mothafuckas outside of Japan who have actually heard of them before.
It's jRPG Codex, what did you expect?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
laclongquan said:
Chateaubryan said:
A pity Emovampy isn't here anymore.

Yeah, a day is just not beginning if we cant bait him.

EmoVampy-kun, we miss you.
We could try focusing our cosmic energy and summon the Great Muta to return Emovampy-kun to us.

There's a guy I suspect is his alt. Same writing style, at least.
We could try this nifty method to grab closet weeaboos

The next thing you know we will have "The War on Indecency" and start attacking otaku's in Japan.

At least they will be easier to find then teraists. All the interrogators need to do is mention in passing "I heard Kenpachi was stronger then Ichigo..." and arrest everyone who says "WAT? NO WAI!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom