Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
SNES has an internal ratio of 8:7 but most people actually play it at 4:3 since that's how it was stretched on our TV's. I'll take the correct aspect any day though, where circles look like circles and not ovals.
Oh I totally agree, but you can easily stretch it with an snes emulator, so it's basically the same thing, it's not like the PSX actually shows more of the game.

A user named cat

SNES has an internal ratio of 8:7 but most people actually play it at 4:3 since that's how it was stretched on our TV's. I'll take the correct aspect any day though, where circles look like circles and not ovals.
Oh I totally agree, but you can easily stretch it with an snes emulator, so it's basically the same thing, it's not like the PSX actually shows more of the game.
You can't just stretch the view to show more of what isn't there, it'll just stretch the aspect ratio. This is why there's widescreen patches for PS2 games to use in PCSX2 for example.

So the PS1 version does display more and cannot be matched. Here is SNES version at 4:3 using RetroArch with bsnes.

GQtwJLo.png

Here is 8:7 again as comparison:
ElpbVBx.png

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You can't just stretch the view to show more of what isn't there, it'll just stretch the aspect ratio. This is why there's widescreen patches for PS2 games to use in PCSX2 for example.

So the PS1 version does display more and cannot be matched. Here is SNES version at 4:3 using RetroArch with bsnes.

So, you're you actually noticing a difference between the psx and the stretched 4:3 snes version? Apart from the blurriness, I don't see that the game screen has become any bigger. If there actually is a difference, it's pretty marginal and of no real importance IMO.

A user named cat

So, you're you actually noticing a difference between the psx and the stretched 4:3 snes version? Apart from the blurriness, I don't see that the game screen has become any bigger. If there actually is a difference, it's pretty marginal and of no real importance IMO.
You know, I didn't even notice the comparison pics weren't lined up exactly. I just tried to take a couple more but for some reason the screens will not match up the same at all between the two versions. The SNES version scrolls over further when you move, no idea why. Either way, you're right in that it's of no importance.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
But let's take this quote from Huckleberry Finn: "Yo' ole father doan' know yit what he's a-gwyne to do." Translate that to another language.

There is a “regular English” translation of Huckleberry Finn. It certainly loses a lot of what makes it special.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, I've been playing the re-translated version of Breath Of Fire II and it's 100x better than the original English version. It's a amazing how much a better translation can improve a game, especially when the original game is well written and humorous.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not sure if this has been posted or not but Romancing Saga for the SNES is pretty much done. Here is a link to a topic with a link to the current patch.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,18590.0.html

Somewhat enjoy it more than the PS2 remake.

ps. it works on retron 5 if anyone is wondering
Aeon genesis is also translating RS2 after RS3 was translated by disneyquick. Only took 30 years, but finally all of this series snes games are to be translated ;)

kain611

Augur
Amen, awaiting RS2 with baited breath. My favorite of the RS games. Saga Frontier is my favorite overall though.

Also enjoy The Last Remenant....very Saga'ish

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
NES RPG The Legend of Double Moon has been fan-translated:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2336/

Now I’ve seen my share of so-called Dragon Warrior clones, but this is just an outright Dragon Warrior ripoff. The entire game looks like DW, plays like DW, FEELS like DW. Not that that’s a bad thing. It’s pretty too! You know, for a DW game.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Released!Super Shell Monsters Story!

Head over to Dynamic Designs page for full details. Go get it!!

Started it. So far it looks to be good :
- You can choose between many unique companions (almost from the very beginning).
- The first dungeon has many hidden chests.
- It's beautiful, at least during battles.

s0EIhDH.jpg

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Started it. So far it looks to be good :
- You can choose between many unique companions (almost from the very beginning).
- The first dungeon has many hidden chests.

How relevant was the stuff in those chests? I love me some hidden chests, but only if it's actually decent stuff like more powerful weapons. Going out of my way and fighting a bunch of extra battles just to get something dumb like an antidote pisses me off. This is one of the most basic things I think games like Chrono Trigger and Lufia 2 did really well.

kain611

Augur
Best thing I've found so far is there are dungeon's and caves you don't even need to complete for the main story. However some have some pretty decent loot in them. Also like the Macro system like Phantasy Star IV had. Which had it first??

kain611

Augur
Wouldn't it be great if Nintendo's New NX is actually a new console that is fully backwards compatible to the NES up to Wii U? Its going to be region free. With all the emulation that has happened over the years could that be what the NX is? I know its probably something stupid and gimmicky. Maybe Nintendo is going to try to bring VR to consoles?

Martius

Liturgist
Well, it could be always digital if they can manage to use what's already working on Wii U and Wii virtual console instead of porting everything again on new system. Too bad that other companies are not really interested in that service.

kain611

Augur
Consider the Retron 5 has 5 cartridge slots, 1 for nes, 1famicom, 1 for snes/super famicom, 1 for genesis/md, and 1 for GBA/GBC/Gb. remove the Genesis slot for a N64 slot and figure where to put a disc drive setup/slot for DS/3DS and it would be a frankenstein.

LJ40

Cipher
It's an excellent concept, but judging by the reviews of the Retron 5 and the more complex innards needed for the newer systems it would probably be better to hope for digital.

Taking out Genesis functionality and adding N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/DS/3DS/NX (and Virtual Boy) sounds like a ridiculous step up, and way more trouble than Nintendo would be willing to deal with.

Martius

Liturgist
In term of compatibility with physical copies I doubt they would go further than one generations, just like Wii U and 3ds. Expect virtual console access of digital games of previous from console would be nice feature but so far its just wishful thinking.

Last edited:

kain611

Augur
Yeah just throwing out ideas. The NX will probably have a stupid gimmick to go with it and may very well be the final nail in the Nintendo Home Console market.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
So I finished Super Shell Monsters Story.

Good :
- A big world to explore (the exploration is not linear, there are some "collect x things around the world" parts, sidequests and misseable/skippable area), the towns are various.
- Once again, many different companions to choose from (some of them have their side quest). Looking at the credits, it looks like I have missed an available companion.

Not as good :
- The main story is nothing memorable.
- The dungeons are globally not memorable either (various environnements, but a very few puzzles)
- Concerning the fights, the amount of different skills is interesting, but the fights are too easy and there are too few monsters with funny skills.

That said, I enjoyed the game.

Hy1r2KT.png

cVYN6dF.png

Vx26wEz.jpg

A user named cat

Remember that retranslation project for the PC version of Final Fantasy VII? Well the PS1 version is done, a couple weeks late on seeing this.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19709.0.html

Bad news is the patched game won't run on Mednafen at the moment, something to do with error checking. It does however run in ePSXe. I tried it out for a bit and the new dialogue is a massive improvement.

You can grab my old Shark Enhanced ePSXe setup here, I hoped I'd never have to use this emu again but duty calls: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1h25a2qyyz2k8wr/ePSXe.zip

Make sure you do "Run ISO" to play the patched game, mounting it to a virtual drive doesn't seem to work. If you have a bin/cue dump, run the bin file which is what you'll patch too.

Now we'll just need Andyman Messiah to redo his entire FF7 LP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom