Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

spekkio

Arcane
Yeah, I was (mostly) kidding. Subs would be preferable, but dubbing the spoken part is acceptable.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Plot, plot, plot. Basically every conversation between major characters (with a portrait) is voiced, and only small chat with generic NPCs is in text form. Without voice translation you side-step the plot.

Gedeone

Novice

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Pff...there are so few translators, and some of them waste their time one these shits.

Otherwise, I just finished Dream maze, and it definitely wasn't worth it. The weird/junkie/childish/ridiculous atmosphere is cool, but there are not enough combat mechanics.

deuxhero

Arcane
Brandish PSP cover looks like this:
brandish_psp.jpg

which is undoubtedly false advertising, but it works for me

One of the PSP version's new additions wast that you can play as her after beating the game.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why so many translators on VN projects when there are so many great TRPGs & blobbers only in japanese out there :-(

Helly, you forget that many translators are Otakus/Weebs. They live and breathe crappy Visual Novels, they couldn't even fathom the incline that Japan has forsaken from us.

That and it's probably a lot easier to code for a VN than for a TRPG/Blobber.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why so many translators on VN projects when there are so many great TRPGs & blobbers only in japanese out there :-(

Helly, you forget that many translators are Otakus/Weebs. They live and breathe crappy Visual Novels, they couldn't even fathom the incline that Japan has forsaken from us.

That and it's probably a lot easier to code for a VN than for a TRPG/Blobber.

Nah, it's much more work to translate a VN. You have to write thousands and thousands of lines of text so that the game makes sense, respects the original and is interesting to the reader. On the other hand most blobbers have little text and you can quickly release demos with fully translated gameplay (menus, actions, items, etc...)
They really only translate VN because "The whole world must know who my favorite waifu is :3"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nah, it's much more work to translate a VN. You have to write thousands and thousands of lines of text so that the game makes sense, respects the original and is interesting to the reader. On the other hand most blobbers have little text and you can quickly release demos with fully translated gameplay (menus, actions, items, etc...)
They really only translate VN because "The whole world must know who my favorite waifu is :3"

Oh man, that's even worse.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, I'd say translation isn't really the hard part if you're fluent in the language. Trying to dig through the code to figure out where the fuck they stored the image the UI parts are written into is a whole different monster. Worse yet if the game has multiple types of font for the various parts of the game (like one for unit names, another for the stats in the UI, another for actual story dialogue) and you have to try and recode all that shit too.

The sheer quantity of text in a VN is daunting, but I'd wager even there that more than half the work ends up being the programming/debugging shit, getting margins in the right places etc.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Translating those games is easy, injecting the translations is not.

The reason people go for VNs is that they are often built on familiar engines that have ready-made tools available and a script file that follows simple logic.

Take average RPG instead... Script in dozen diffirent places, gazillion of strings to translate (without context available), obscure bugs and crashes introduced by your injections, with no sensible way to debug. Etc. etc. I know more than one RPG with fully translated script but with no patch release in sight due to the impossibility of hacking the engine.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Someone already did translation of
brandish_psp.jpg

iKmkvaSgpjFcg.jpg

Someone taget it as "not tested" but for ~18h long game from forgotten genre that last with Ultima Underworld and Arx Fatalis - it's worth trying.

spekkio

Arcane
^
The fuck are you smoking, it's official translation. Check earlier posts.

deuxhero

Arcane
Yeah, I'd say translation isn't really the hard part if you're fluent in the language.

Understanding text is (mostly) easy, but actually finding a way to convey that in English is a pain in the ass for all but the most basic conversation

The meaning of a dialog box that just says "しくしく" is obvious (the person is crying), but how do you convey this in English where we don't use sound effect dialog like that? How do you convey someone using speech too casual for the situation without making them sound like a teenager from a decade ago?

Red Eye

Learned
Mamatoto (a 1999 Alicesoft JRPG was translated last month).

It heavily influences Rance IX.

I might do a lets play if anyone is interested

Gedeone

Novice

Mamatoto (a 1999 Alicesoft JRPG was translated last month).

I know, checking previous post is a pain...but not even the last page...thats something lol

Anyway, this time its " Kikokugai – Reichin Rinrinshan" that got translated: https://tehtawm.wordpress.com/
Vegeange, cyberpunk (kinda), martial arts ....and the mandatory imouto <.<
But fear not. Its not a moege/nukige kind of game. Nothing too original but it has a good ost and decent cgs, for a change.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
What’s different from the original?
-High quality art assets
-Voice acting
-Animation and high amounts of effects and camera work
-Toned down h-scenes (less revealing CGs and a few cut lines per scene)
-A working engine, galleries for CG and sound and so on
-Modern text presentation – i.e not a wall of text with huge fonts
:shunthenonbeliever:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
why else would i play that game if not for the sex? the story? lolololooollol

Red Eye

Learned
Kikokugai has a nice atmosphere but the sex is shit anyway.

Good short story though.

A translation patch was released at least four years ago

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I'd play the translation of Phantom of Inferno remake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom