Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Discussion in 'jRPG Weaboo Discussion' started by spekkio, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Black Cat Prestigious Gentleman Cipher

Black Cat
    @ Plataforming Ferret

Not at all. It's pre-SotN Castlevania with lolis and fairies and pretty dresses. ;)

Koumajou Densetsu, the first one, is kind of a bit rough around the edges and stuffies, though it's still pretty good. And the second one is just awesome.

Some of the bosses are very hard, though. Mostly because of the genre mix: When you are on the ground, and maybe jumping, you have a normal hitbox that includes most, or all, of your character. When you are flying, however, you have a much smaller hitbox, and thus the enemies can throw all kind of shit at you while you still have a chance of evading it. In the second one you can only fly for a little while before needing to land to recover your, like, flying energy, so that makes the bullet density a bit frustrating.

Also, it seems they are thinking about making a third one already, which is kind of awesome given it would have to be based around Imperishable Night and thus include a character switch system, kind of like Portrait of Ruin and Castlevania III. It's enough to make me think of actually buying the previous two and donating for the third.
    ^ Top  
  2. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    How well done was the fan translation of Mother 3?
    ^ Top  
  3. lightbane Liturgist

lightbane
    You mean, if it's fully playable already? It is, you can find it here: http://mother3.fobby.net/

I don't know wapanese so I can't compare if it's faithful to the original, but I think it's pretty good.
    ^ Top  
  4. Terpsichore Arcane

Terpsichore
    I want the rest of liar-soft stuff translated.

Also recommend me good VNs.
    ^ Top  
  5. Crooked Bee Nyadmin

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Ever17: Out of Infinity. The only VN I've read, actually, but I think it is pretty good, um, for what it is. For a VN, that is. Yeah.
    ^ Top  
  6. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    A
    Kara no Shoujo
    Saya no Uta
    G-Senjou no Maou
    Cross†Channel
    Fate/Stay Night (+/-)
    Ever 17 - Out of Infinity
    YU-NO
    Higurashi When They Cry (+/-)

B
    Chaos;Head (+/-)
    Deus Machina Demonbane (+/-)
    ef - a fairy tale of the two
    Divi-Dead
    Desire
    Eve: Burst Error
    Phantom of Inferno
    Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo (+/-)
    Crescendo (+/-)

Also a game!
    Aselia the Eternal
    Sengoku Rance
    Melty Blood

Tastes may vary a lot, so it is hard to make recommendations. I left several titles out because I can't wholeheartedly recommend them to average Joe, no matter how excellent they are in their own niche (Bible Black, heh heh)

(+/-) depending on your tolerance for certain anime/manga/etc. clichés.

Look the shit up yourself and see if it works for you. For the more close minded ones, probably only the A-list works. And as with any entertainment, if you start with the good stuff then you'll be forever ruined and won't be able to enjoy the mediocre titles.

http://vndb.org/r?q=;fil=lang-en;s=title;o=a;
    ^ Top  
  7. Terpsichore Arcane

Terpsichore
    Thanks, imma check these.

The only VNs that actually managed to hook me are the translated liar-soft titles (though all the repetition gets aggravating in the end) but they have a nice atmosphere and pacing, writing isn't that bad either.

I'm basically looking for something with a half decent story plus writing, good atmosphere and no desu desu kawaii uguu moe lolis popping up every time there's a dialog.
    ^ Top  
  8. Jaime Lannister Arbiter

Jaime Lannister
    ^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Most nitro+ works have few desu desu kawaii moe lolis, and even if they do it the lolis usually meet a bad end.

Kikokugai and Hanachirasu have both been translated, you might want to check those out.

If you happen to have a taste for Japanese mecha, don't miss out on MuvLuv Alternative. It's like a Hollywood epic, flashy and full of spectacle.
    ^ Top  
  10. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Tried downloading this but I'm getting a crc error when I try to unzip it. Redownloaded just in case and had the same problem again. Tried getting it from a different source but the patch didn't work with that version. Any help?
    ^ Top  
  11. hanssolo Educated

hanssolo
    goddamnit Black Cat, I didn't read your post properly and jumped at pre-SoTN Castlevania clone. What is this Touhou shit??

EDIT: And pre-SOTN Castlevania was about manly men with whips and gothic horror, not flying magical girls.
    ^ Top  
  12. moraes Learned Patron

moraes
    Project: Eternity
    http://www.romhacking.net/news/1174/

^ Top  
  13. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    ^ Top  
  14. Crooked Bee Nyadmin

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Oh damn, another game to play.

EDIT: Is that patch for the original Ys Origin only or for the Ys Origin Extra Disk as well? Nevermind, that Neogaf thread clears it up.
    ^ Top  
  15. Rasputin Arbiter

Rasputin
    Not really wapanese (how can you say it, chapanese????), but there is a translation of ''Swordsman and Fairy'' or ''Legend of Sword and Fairy'' or whatever.

http://chinesepaladin.org/phpBB/viewtop ... f=9&t=1006

Game is actually pretty rare in torrents overall, but I downloaded it on Underground-gamer. Seems like an JRPG with chinese mythology and made by chinese people.

http://english.fairysword.info/project.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ow3tkbkLY

But more about wapanese, there is a supposed translation being made for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js4rddrZ ... re=related

Things are going onward with it.....

http://seldane.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... 55&page=10

ZWEI 2 (weird name, huh?) was made by Falcom (company who made Ys series), and strangely is a PC exclusive in Japan (weird lol).
    ^ Top  
  16. Crooked Bee Nyadmin

Crooked Bee
    Falcom seem to love their PC exclusives: Ys Origin is one as well. And ZWEI 2 looks cool.
    :thumbsup:

On a related note, I've started a Ys Origin LP (the link is in my sig) to show off the newly released English translation, so you can see if you like the way it looks before you decide whether to play it or not.
    ^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    ^ Top  
  18. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    what's this about then?

[​IMG]

oh man dat 256 color palette milky white skin and clothing dither effect

and weird ass duotone interface as well

it's like I'm in 1997 again
    ^ Top  
  19. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    YU-NO is a 10/10. They don't make them like this any more.
    ^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Us hardcore wapanese look upon it as fondly as the average Codexer does stuff like Ultima 7 and Wizardry. This was from a time before all VNs came to have only four choices throughout the entire goddamn game.

Game wise... uh... it's like a hentai Day of the Tentacle except with parallel universes instead of different time periods?
    ^ Top  
  21. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    Time to put on my wapanese hat and start downloading. Ye-ha!
    ^ Top  
  22. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    [​IMG]

is on the list
    ^ Top  
  23. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    ^ Top  
  24. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    Ok, what the fuck?

The game is constructed from three parts:
    - prolog
    - main (the part you actually can call a game)
    - ???epilogue???

The first part was quite long with the with the "click option to move, click option to look etc" kind of gameplay. It was long and quite boring but I endured through. Then we entered the main game, which is a lot better, the gameplay changes to "click mouse on stuff and to move etc" and shit starts to hit the fan. A lot of strange shit.

But anyway, the third part. Holy shit! Seriously, instead of explaining ANYTHING the game shifts back the previous gameplay mechanics and we enter a story that is almost unrelated to the stuff happening previously. But fuck that, did I mention how incredibly pretentious it becomes... and it's looong. It was so bad I just said "fuck it" and deleted it altogether. It's like the devs decided to take a dump on the keyboard after doing a quite decent job.

Saying that, the "sudoku in base 12" riddle in the end of Mio path was top-notch, lost 3 hours on that fucker :thumbsup:

Got 98% cleared.
    ^ Top  
  25. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    I'm guessing the game ends after you collect all 6 gems? I got bored after being warped back to the beginning each time after finishing two different routes.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)