Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Live on IGN

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
UI complaints... sigh, it's a beta, and it's the first pass at UI.. calm the fuck down, please.

The game looks pretty amazing, and even the writing reels me in. Some of the CYOA stuff, yeah it could be improved, but whatevs. Overall, I'm optimistic and impressed from the stream.

And rememeber, streams are never a good source of portraying a storyoriented game, it's not a good source of portraying ANYTHIG really. See for yourselves when you install it, I bet the experience will be better than some shitty stream.

Black

Arcane
It was p. awful. And they managed to make some bits of it worse in the DC (barter ui).
fargofanboy.png

Why do you even try?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • More words than in LotR books
These comparisons are always unhelpful since a player will never read every word in TTON, and in any event the words are interspersed with visuals that otherwise would require explanatory text in a book.

himmy So far, it has made it past the Bowdlers!

Indeed.

Furthermore, [quantity]=/=[quality], and here I was hoping that, at least on the Codex, this would an established and commonly accepted attitude.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Looks really good to be honest, and the science fiction elements could be a fantastic twist (for example) for Asimov fans, provided they pull it off.

Starwars

Arcane
This raised my hype level quite a bit which had been falling a bit for quite a while. It looks fantastic! Only thing I'm still not crazy about it is the world, more specifically the aesthetics of it. I get that it's not supposed to be coherent but I just hope it won't fall into the trap of "hey, here's this cool thing, and here's THIS cool thing, and look over there at THAT cool thing". I hope it will all manage to come together so it just doesn't feel like a map filled with a bunch of different weird interactions.

But yeah, color me excited. Looks awesome.

likaq

Arcane
This is gonna be Hellgate: London, Daikatana, and every other shit game of the last 20 years all rolled into one.

The combat looks bad. The walls of text likewise. CYOA shit is still shit. The narrator is annoying

Another thread with magnetic properties for tryhard edgytards?

Last edited:

Septaryeth

Augur
On a side note, anyone else noticed Ruthfuss' comic, "So Long As You Can See The Moon" is available for download?
I thought it's only going to be released right before the shipping. Or maybe I just missed the thread?

Shadenuat

Arcane
I wish they used more close up perspective. That's what gave PST it's unique style compared to simplier and more abstract character models of other IE games. Every character had a completely unique visual style, you could almost see them live and breathe, like in an animated film. You could even distinguish some face features and hair. They didn't even walk or run alike.
The party portraits in TToN are also lifeless.
It seems like more effort went into designing world itself however, with all the moving parts. But characters, TToN to PoE looks like MoTB to NWN2. A bit more personality, yet still very modern 3d characters running on more old school backgrounds, aside from leaning and bit more fluidity in animations.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's the PoE engine, just zoom in.
How would zooming in change the fact that character models don't have lots of detail or unique movement, acting, casting, fighting or idle animations (or so I assume)? Even on 2 different companions, robes seem to flutter at a same time.
2d graphics really emphasized personality of PST characters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How would zooming in change the fact that character models don't have lots of detail or unique movement, acting, casting, fighting or idle animations (or so I assume)? Even on 2 different companions, robes seem to flutter at a same time.

Well, I think PoE/T:ToN characters are already more detailed than original Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale character sprites were. I agree that the companions we've seen aren't as unique as PS:T's but that might have more to to with what they are (just standard humans) than the level of graphical detail.

Athelas

Arcane
It also meant characters were very limited in what equipment they could use. Spritework like in PS:T looks great, but it also has a lot of cost-prohibitive issues.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Who cares about costs when it comes to making sprites look good? It shows where your heart is.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I think Shadenuat has a point. Unique models for TNO and companions were a big deal in PS:T. They were one of the reasons why there were so few armors and weapons. The latter (the lack of equipment variety) wasn't a good thing per se but the fact that character uniqueness trumped more mundane aspects of the game was one of the defining features of PS:T.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom