Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

The only reason I can see for someone to be a fan of Poland is food, nothing else.
What about the girls?
What about them? The same as anywhere else in europe, maybe a bit more inclined to suck black/latino/arabian dick because "muh exotic boyfriend ":M
Not sure if butthurt or edgy (it's irrelevant though).

Seems a bit butthurt, though possibly true. Foreigners generally have easy time with girls in Lithuania too.

The Anti-Santa

Learned
Is it even worth the bother playing through Witcher 1 and 2 at this stage before the third one releases?
W2 seems to be tied directly to W3, so I guess it's recommended.

W1 on the other hand might provide some general lore intro if you didn't read anything.

I've read the Last Wish and Sword of Destiny but held off on the main saga. I'm giving Witcher 1 a go but its not grabbing me combat-wise. Also it looks awful.

Deleted member 7219

Both games are excellent, but for me The Witcher 2 is the better of the two. Less clunky dialogue and a more focused plot.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
You should play the Witcher 1 because it's actually a self contained story. Witcher 2 looked like an extended prologue of the Wild Hunt.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If it's a 'bother' to play them, don't. I'm sure you'll be able to easily jump into Witcher 3 and understand it well enough.
Also it looks awful.
Can't agree with that. A fair few ugly models (most of the humanoids) but the environment/building art is still quite beautiful.
the-witcher-1.jpg

1781658-2011_05_10_00001.jpeg

(images grabbed from google, could be modded)

hiver

No, looks legit. There were few places in the game that looked really ok.
Of course, the best thing about the first game is that you could play in isometric too.

MasPingon

Arcane
Is it even worth the bother playing through Witcher 1 and 2 at this stage before the third one releases?
W2 seems to be tied directly to W3, so I guess it's recommended.

W1 on the other hand might provide some general lore intro if you didn't read anything.

I've read the Last Wish and Sword of Destiny but held off on the main saga. I'm giving Witcher 1 a go but its not grabbing me combat-wise. Also it looks awful.

It's one of the best looking games up to date, newfag.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I cannot imagine replaying these games. TW1 dragged it too long with the endless swamp back-tracking crap and the second one is anticlimactic.

There is no point in killing Letho and the plot is shit by that point anyway.

On the other hand, TW1 is must play because of the detective quest from Vizima. That's basically the entire second chapter and in my opinion is the best non-linear quest from both games. Unfortunately is the exception to the series.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I cannot imagine replaying these games. TW1 dragged it too long with the endless swamp back-tracking crap and the second one is anticlimactic.

There is no point in killing Letho and the plot is shit by that point anyway.
Yep, W1 has a lot of slow moments - replayed it a few months ago and (while I played it almost by heart) it took me ~50h for 100% run. This and general slopiness in writing are the only bad things I can think of. The atmosphere is unique though, weaves between genuinely bleak/depressing and very fable-y.

I don't remember wanting to kill Letho at any point, for me it was never about him. The situation becomes so fucked up in Act 3, that I was actually interested in fixoring it. The bad guys were so vile, that I actually started caring about some NPCs.

On the other hand, TW1 is must play because of the detective quest from Vizima. That's basically the entire second chapter and in my opinion is the best non-linear quest from both games. Unfortunately is the exception to the series.
I could argue that whole W2 works as the "detective quest" and there's a good chance you won't learn many important things about the plot in the first playthrough.[/QUOTE]

buzz

Arcane
:(:cry: the more you talk about Witcher 1, the more I remember how the sequel retained almost none of that low slavic atmosphere. Fuck that Hollywood/epic shite.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I could argue that whole W2 works as the "detective quest" and there's a good chance you won't learn many important things about the plot in the first playthrough.

Well, that quest is quite unique and the game never delivers on the same level again. You have 6 or 7 suspects and a tons of options to fuck it up which creates a sense of real mystery (rare thing nowadays).

I actually failed the quest but I was pretty close on my own and that's why I like the idea. That's non-linearity implemented in a good way when compared to the retarded Team Roche versus Team Iorveth.

And probably I'm in minority but I would like to see more often such type of quests. To be honest, for me that was the single most important highlight of the game.

TW2 doesn't even come close in this department although there was one quest were failing was more advantageous than succeeding.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I could argue that whole W2 works as the "detective quest" and there's a good chance you won't learn many important things about the plot in the first playthrough.

Well, that quest is quite unique and the game never delivers on the same level again. You have 6 or 7 suspects and a tons of options to fuck it up which creates a sense of real mystery (rare thing nowadays).

I actually failed the quest but I was pretty close on my own and that's why I like the idea. That's non-linearity implemented in a good way when compared to the retarded Team Roche versus Team Iorveth.

And probably I'm in minority but I would like to see more often such type of quests. To be honest, for me that was the single most important highlight of the game.

TW2 doesn't even come close in this department although there was one quest were failing was more advantageous than succeeding.
I kinda borked the quest, because the first time I played I accidentaly ran into the solution (you know what I'm talking about) - and it wasn't even something I anticipated IIRC. Still it the mystery could be felt in the beginning, it was cleverly structured - would also prefer seeing stuff like that more often. I don't think we're in minority - wasn't it something highly praised?

I don't know if you've seen TSW investigations, but it's impossible to solve it just by running around and talking to people. The world is too big to run into a solution and quest objects highlight only when standing near them - you have to know what you're looking for. It's completely taking your character input out of the game.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
If it's a 'bother' to play them, don't. I'm sure you'll be able to easily jump into Witcher 3 and understand it well enough.
Also it looks awful.
Can't agree with that. A fair few ugly models (most of the humanoids) but the environment/building art is still quite beautiful.
the-witcher-1.jpg

Don't forget that RED engine is a modified neverwinter nights 1 engine (aurora), currently they have red 3 engine which STILL is a heavily modified nwn 1 engine....... some codexer hate witcher because it probably reminds them unconsciously of NWN why some like it........ thus the secret of witcher is revealed, Witcher is a just big mod for NWN.
That is why the combat in Witcher 1 2 and 3 is and will be such a travesty, because NWN was turn based and not some pseudo action quasi combat game.
Witcher would be much better with turn based combat becuase the engine it uses was made for it.
In essence a 2015 game is using a 11 year old engine, talk about slam dunks.I don't think even Bioware or Obsidian made such a dunk.

This was all done in 2007, welp

Additions:

• The 24h passage of the day and night cycle will enable the player to witness beautiful sunrises and sunsets, marvel at the starry sky, or fight in the moonlight. The time of day is not only cosmetic, but also affects gameplay, e.g. some creatures can only be hunted down at night.
  • The game features realistic weather patterns, down to such details as the delay between lightning and thunder. The player can get caught in a sudden torrential downpour, with the raindrops falling realistically on everything they hit.
  • The character's dynamic shadows have been softened so that no more sharp or shattered edges show up.
  • Realistic physics make any pushed object roll across the ground; killed enemies fall in a realistic manner, largely thanks to rag doll physics; even decapitated heads behave according to the law of physics.
  • Real-time fighting instead of a turn based system makes skirmishes eye-catching and spectacular. Graphics effects, like blood splattering on various surfaces (walls, floors), and slowed down cinematic finishers.
  • During combat, a special character expression system with appropriate voice acting skirmishes all the more engaging and realistic.
  • Improved EAX in-game sound effects will complement the visual aspect of the game.

what about hunting creatures only at night in witcher 3 ? haven't heard a word about it..... they are dumbing their own game.

Witcher 1 > witcher 2 > witcher 3

Real-time fighting instead of a turn based system makes skirmishes eye-catching and spectacular.

:lol: The decline is stronk

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Aurora_Engine

Last edited:

The Anti-Santa

Learned
Also it looks awful.
the-witcher-1.jpg

I meant story-wise. Are the first two inter-connected enough that I should play them in order and then eventually play the third one?

Those shots look nice all right. I'm in the fields area at the moment and it just looks dull to me so I presume it gets better as it goes along.

Deleted member 7219

It isn't unrelated, and this thread has become a source of such rich dumbfuckery it should be given a tag all of its own. Witcher 1 looks awful? Witcher 2 has no Slavic atmosphere? Can't make it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom