Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Lesifoere said:
The power to enslave online fora?
No... WHOLE NATIONS!

The Exar

Liturgist
The Grand Master's dialogue lines in the end of the game change according to what you told Alvin in the previous chapters. I didn't confirm it myself, but a lot of folk says it's so. Consider that. And the amulet (or pendant). That last area in the game wasn't created just for nothing.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
The Exar said:
The Grand Master's dialogue lines in the end of the game change according to what you told Alvin in the previous chapters. I didn't confirm it myself, but a lot of folk says it so.
The Game Guide that came with the enhanced edition confirms this.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The Exar said:
The Grand Master's dialogue lines in the end of the game change according to what you told Alvin in the previous chapters. I didn't confirm it myself, but a lot of folk says it so. Consider that. And the amulet (or pendant). That last area in the game wasn't created just for nothing.

That's (almost) obvious, but apparently not for everybody. I like that whatever you'll say to Alvin he will twist your teachings over time and use them as arguments for mass genocide...

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I finally finished this thing.

The ending. What the fuck? What the flying almighty gibbering fuck?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I got over the WTF factor and now agree that it is cool.

(I don't subscribe to the "GERALT CLONE" theory, that is.)

Lesifoere said:

I read a GameFAQs thread on the subject of the ending, because I knew the kind of things they'd come up with would be worth reading.

The best idea, I believe, was that the assassin was... er... Geralt.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
The assassin having golden eyes with vertical pupils. I guess that, at a closer look, the facial structure/features are quite different, but at first glimpse I too thought "wtf the assassin is Geralt???" because it's somewhat difficult to distinguish the differences.

DraQ

Arcane
I think that it's because the only person that could be seen with such eyes in the intro (the only other non-in-engine, animated cutscene) was Geralt. Of course such eyes are not unique to Geralt, however, even discovering that the assassin was another witcher was a WTF? moment.

Do want moar.

RainSong

Scholar
Lesifoere said:

What most people don't know (as it was explained in the books) and what makes the story from the game even more cool is that Alvins/Grand Masters skills are very (very) limited to only few people in history (1 genealogic tree on which wizards were secretly experimenting for centuries). One of the main heroes in the books is Ciri, Geralts adopted daughter (only woman that witchers tried to make one of them) and she is the part of this special genealogic tree. The story is based around her as there is a prophecy that she (or her child) will ''save the world'' (the same thing that Grand Master is talking about). Well, in books there is no saving of the world so there is high possibility that in game Geralt kills the son of his ''daughter'' not knowing about it - just a nice little drama touch that can be explored in a sequel.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I knew about Ciri, but not to that extent. Interesting. Wish Gollancz would translate the books faster.

On a different note, there actually were "NWN2 vs Witcher" threads on the NWN2 forums. I won't get into the stupidity of that, but in one single thread, I found:

Can you explain how you found [the Witcher] unique and engaging?

I play mostly multi-player where individuality is unique and engaging to me, where I create the character I want to play and not limited to the character the developer creates for me. IMHO, therein lies the difference.

As a woman, I want to play a female character of my own design, can't do that in any of the aforementioned games aboved.

No, it's not Merilinda. It's one of the mods, Selene Moonsong.

A Role Playing Game is a game where you pick a role, and you play it. In this game, your role [Geralt] is already been picked. That's a test it won't pass.

Planescape: Torment's not an RPG, I guess. News at eleven!

The piece de resistance:

There are many people love Oblivion, I think it is their right to want more of it.

And at least Oblivion let you create your own character, so it may not be a absolute turn-off like TW to some people.

:lol:

Disconnected

Scholar
A Role Playing Game is a game where you pick a role, and you play it. In this game, your role [Geralt] is already been picked. That's a test it won't pass.
Traditionally, an RPG is a game in which you assume the role of a character. The extent to which you get to define the character depends on the game. TW has you assume the role of a fantasy hero with super powers and a big fucking sword. It doesn't get much more archetypical than that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Disconnected said:
Traditionally, an RPG is a game in which you assume the role of a character. The extent to which you get to define the character depends on the game. TW has you assume the role of a fantasy hero with super powers and a big fucking sword. It doesn't get much more archetypical than that.

I was just about to quote that quote. Everytime I see someone trying to spit out his logic that a role playing game is a game where you play a role (HALO IS AN RPG!1) I feel like bashing the person's head against the wall until he finally finds out what's the proper deal.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Yes, and when that "argument" is trotted out, someone's bound to retort "PAC-MAN IS AN RPG AMIRITE?"

Disconnected

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
[...] you play a role (HALO IS AN RPG!1) [...].
Man, it's fucking hair-splitting. OK, switch around the words "Role" and "Character". Pacman has no character. Halo plays the character for you. In an RPG, you play the character, but the role is always more or less predefined (But WoW lets me play a magical stamp with wings that speaks syntax-challenged Chinese, sells gold, and defies gravity!!!1!).

.. Whatever. Just.. Can I haz destruction of humanity now, plz?

Well: Roleplaying is not about playing the role.
Well...
It is, but...
Point is:
When you play super mario, you do not impose a set of ethics and rules upon yourself that you expect mario to follow.
You powergame in Super Mario: take risks based on the reward.
Would you do that in real life, if you were Mario?
No way if you would jump off a cliff and down on a tiny block without a big mushroom in your pocket, only to jump up.
If you roleplayed Super Mario, you would *fear* death, as if you were Mario.
You would pretend to be Mario.
You would not *know* that entering a pipe will yield you exta lives, nor the locations of secret items.
Nor would you know that there was a magical mushroom on top of that block over the edge of the cliff.
YOU would know, but Mario would not -- and since you roleplayed Mario; you pretended to not knowing.

In essence, any game can be roleplayed -- but it happens so very seldom nowadays; everyone powergames.

Buh?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Can you explain how you found [the Witcher] unique and engaging?

I play mostly multi-player where individuality is unique and engaging to me, where I create the character I want to play and not limited to the character the developer creates for me. IMHO, therein lies the difference.

As a woman, I want to play a female character of my own design, can't do that in any of the aforementioned games aboved.

From the little bit she posted here, she certainly seemed PC enough to say that kind of bullshit.

Anyway when are they gonna learn we hold the right definition of a RPG? This place ain't called the RPG Fucking Codex for naught!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom