Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Weekly/Yearly LOL Baldur's Gate sucks thread!

Turjan

Arcane
Even if they're not being actively romanced they still have heaps to say in SoA, they still have opinions and various remarks relating to lore and each other.
Yup. I sometimes have the feeling that some of these remarks about SoA are clouded by later Bioware titles.
But the simplest way to trim off the romance dialogue is to simply tell them you're not interested, just like in real life.
Indeed, this was very easy., and no resentment left. It was also very easy to inadvertently end these dialog strings. This was no DA2.

Cadmus

Arcane
I'm somewhere near Nashkiel. I killed a bear in a bear cave. I killed the crazy retard who keeps following you and asking you retarded questions when you leave the town. I got robbed in the carnival.. "prepare to be victimized" - this was really funny. I killed another bear that had a unique name but nothing dropped or happened. The more I wander outside, the less annoying the pathfinding becomes but I dread going back to town. The game is such a fucking slog. I keep trying really hard to like it and I do, I do like the low magic low lvl DnD stuff but pelting every enemy with slings gets a little bit boring after a while. The coolest encounter I've had was in the Carnival, some mage for some fucking insane reason threatened to kill me and kill some girl I don't care for and I thought he was bluffing...what can a single mage do against a party of retards with slings? He destroyed me completely, that was fun.

The game is barely keeping my attention as it is now. It's just tiresome and nothing happens. I suppose it was different back in the day when people were just happy to see the DnD come alive in this pretty presentation. The art direction is nowhere as good as IWD, by the way. I thought all IE games would be as pretty as IWD but no way, not Torment and certainly not this shit. The characters look like retards with shitty looking gear, the world is way, way too generic (and I don't mind the generic medieval fantasy, there's not enough of it made really well and straight but this game feels like a sort of blend and the art direction is weak).

I like the dialogues and the conversations and the voice acting. I even like that there's obviously plenty of recruitable characters so I just let some idiot die..he was a ranger and didn't have a bow skill and I thought to myself it would be fun to play the game as it comes, not worrying about shit and I kicked his cold corpse from my party.

I don't mind the leveling being slow but I get exactly shit on the level up which is not that much fun..

I don't even know what's fun about this game. Something is, because it's not totally horrible but I don't know what.

I have a question:
I got some bracers of AC 8....what do they do? I assume they lower the AC of a character if it's bigger than 8 to 8? cuz I don't have such a character and they seem to have no effect.

I guess the story is the best part of the game and the random adventuring which is pretty good because of the low lvl stuff so whenever I find something, I'm happy.

Anyway, I don't see what makes this game so great, maybe some of the later quests will blow me away. I like that it seems at least a little bit difficult so far.

Snufkin

Augur
Best way to play those games is pick fighter/thief/mage multiclass and ROFLSTOMPSOLO everything on very hard. This class combo blows everything into smiterings.

IWD series is way better when it comes to graphics/atmosphere and balanced gameplay.

Greatness

Cipher
Anyway, I don't see what makes this game so great, maybe some of the later quests will blow me away. I like that it seems at least a little bit difficult so far.

It gets a lot better in BG2, but in the end it's still a bioware game. To be honest, unless I'm playing specifically for the combat (with SCS) I'd just skip straight to BG2.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
You can safely skip the wilderness areas if you're bored with them, the vanilla game is rather easy even without that extra loot and XP.

I've been playing it modded (SCS BGT) lately and enjoy it immensely, but then again IE games are my favourite games of all (sans IWD2, of course).

Servo

Arcane
I preferred BG1 to BG2 - BG2 was very good (it certainly crammed in the most D&D lore and loot of any PC adaptation) but BG for me was a magical experience.

What you're describing is nostalgia. When one thing is quantitatively better than another yet you still prefer the other thing, yeah...

The best thing about BG is the music. Find a way to extract the music files and listen to it over an LP. In fast forward.

I'm surprised you don't like the art though. You don't happen to be playing the game in the BG2 engine? The paperdolls should look like this:

8f75a7ec0b5e5b38b4664d11602d78f34be431a0.jpg

Not like this:

bg2soa2.jpg

pippin

I never dual classed her, since there were a lot of nasty traps in BG and most of the other thieves were very bland. YMMV on that, though, since it's been a loooong time since I played the first game. I'm planning on a vanilla run through the first BG, which is something I've never done.

Also, I agree with the paper dolls. I never really understood why they gave them that smug expression in BG2.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
Permabutthurt faggot hiver decided to have a daily meltdown. Unlike hiver, I have the mental capacity to avoid discussing BG is a thread/subforum devoted to Pillars of Eternity, so I'm taking this here. For the record, I don't actually think BG sucks - only a portion of encounter design that involves the AI cheating with scripted spells.

Oh darling, you just made a huge mistake. Its positively one of my favorite things when a scum retard newfag like you immediately goes for insults in your reply.
Shit fuck smelly nigger tit inbred motherfucker nigger shit fuck scum I cut your throat scum shit faggot!!!!!!!!!
Clearly, you're not butthurt and don't deserve the dumbfuck tag at all. :roll: Oh, and you must have suffered yet another hallucinatory episode and imagined me insulting you in the post you quoted. :roll:

The "hard encounters" relied entirely on enemies casting scripted non-counterable spells,
+
and give me one example of a hard encounter that didn't involve some form of spellcaster. Even dragons were only hard because of their spell-like abilities! Anything that wasn't a mage was a cakewalk to kill.

That wasnt you?
That was me, and now your lack of basic reading comprehension skills is forcing me to explain the blindingly obvious. :roll:

1. The first quote identifies the problem in BG encounter design/combat system as SCRIPTED NON-COUNTERABLE SPELLS that live outside of the ruleset and basically amount to "we don't know how to use our real-time AD&D system to create genuinely difficult encounters, so we'll just let the enemies cheat, mkay?".

2. The second quote the problem in BG encounter design/combat system as being heavily skewed in favor of spellcasting, having little to no hard encounters that feature warriors, rogues, priests or any enemy classes aside from wizards and wizard-like creatures with bloated HP.

Neither of the quotes, whether separately or jointly, ever state, imply or hint in any way, shape or form that, and I quote your nonsense, "spells and spell like abilities are not allowed in hard encounters". You'd have to be an idiot to get that for my posts when I clearly say it's scripted cheat-spells that are the problem, and not spells in general.

Anything that wasnt a "mage" was a cakewalk to kill? When? After you tried the same encounter dozen times and reloaded after getting wiped?
No, reloading was mandatory for scripted-spell encounters. Normal encounters required little more than the use of available properly-leveled party members and a little bit of foresight in the potion/scroll stocking department. Your mental handicap may have resulted in you failing regular encounters, but normal people would have little to no problem killing enemies like Yoshimo, Bodhi, or even Sarevok (the final boss of BG1) after his cheating mage companions were killed.

To balance player ability to cheese in many ways, not just prebuffing.
This is where you provide examples of the player's ability to cheese "in many ways".

Give me some examples of those spells or "spell like abilities"
Three to four insta-buffs that get insta-replenished after their duration expires
Teleporting around the battlefield
Firing scripted charms/summons/detonation arrows
Beholders raining ten billion rays per second with no respect to rounds
Kangax and his insta-Imprisonment script

There's plenty more in the actual games, I just haven't played them for a long time. And before you misinterpret me again, no, I'm not saying this makes the enemies impossible to kill. I'm saying their difficulty is artificially inflated through cheating i.e. unjustified scripted abilities that ignore the ruleset. Encounter design is good when both the player and the enemies play by the same rules and it's still difficult because they use their abilities creatively while giving you a chance to your abilities creatively. With BG hard encounter design you either have to use the ridiculous magic immunity scrolls or just save-scum and hope the gods of randomness favor you this time. Regardless of how you've leveled your party.

Last edited:

hiver

This is where you provide examples of the player's ability to cheese "in many ways".
Is that really needed to do for anyone that played the games where player skill overrides character skills in RTwP game? Where player can do things Ai has no idea even exist?
Like attacking from safe distance, abusing stealth and fog of war or just preknowledge after playing it a hundred times, retreating and then coming back later fully healed with spells replenished, where the player can heal as many times as he likes while enemies have one measly heal potion or lower spell at best?

Three to four insta-buffs that get insta-replenished after their duration expires
Teleporting around the battlefield
Firing scripted charms/summons/detonation arrows
Beholders raining ten billion rays per second with no respect to rounds
Kangax and his insta-Imprisonment script

None of those are "SCRIPTED NON-COUNTERABLE SPELLS that live outside of the ruleset"
They are all in the ruleset you stupid laughable devolved shit.

Spell sequencers - moron. Plenty of them too, which you can also use if you want. Nothing insta replenishing about them.

Charm is an ordinary spell you can use, summons too. Detonation arrows you can get too.

Teleporting - is actually invisibility spell.

Beholders are special high level creatures with their own abilities you cannot have because you are not a Beholder, imbecile.

Kangax imprisonment spells are the same ones you can use.

1. The first quote identifies the problem in BG encounter design/combat system as SCRIPTED NON-COUNTERABLE SPELLS that live outside of the ruleset and basically amount to "we don't know how to use our real-time AD&D system to create genuinely difficult encounters, so we'll just let the enemies cheat, mkay?".
And thats so just because this declaratory sentence fell out of that asshole in your head?

As we see there are no such spells as you describe. Expect in very rare cases such as Irenicus spells, which is excused by him literally being outside of the rule set genius and main villain who you rarely interact with before the very end.

2. The second quote the problem in BG encounter design/combat system as being heavily skewed in favor of spellcasting, having little to no hard encounters that feature warriors, rogues, priests or any enemy classes aside from wizards and wizard-like creatures with bloated HP.
Thats the consequence of the whole system being built on such spells and spell like abilities and any melee skills being just the most basic and quite boring ones. Which is one of the most fmailiar and even "famous" problems of IE games.
Which Sawyer is trying to tackle in PoE... etc, etc.

You havent provided me with a single example of a hard encounter that has only melee enemies, or provided the example of any party that is only melee. You of course cannot because almost every class has some kind of spell like abilities.

Shit fuck smelly nigger tit inbred motherfucker nigger shit fuck scum I cut your throat scum shit faggot!!!!!!!!!
I know you are a shitbrain. No need to especially prove it even more.

Clearly, you're not butthurt
clearly i am not and you are. after all newfag, if i did get so easily butthurt i wouldnt be hanging around here so long.

and don't deserve the dumbfuck tag at all.
Obvious psychological projection. Its one of the ironies of this site that obvious shitfaced dumbfucks like you walk around without it.

And before you misinterpret me again
Everyone can see i interpreted you exactly correct.

no, I'm not saying this makes the enemies impossible to kill.
You wanna quote me on that you strawman vomiting turd?

I'm saying their difficulty is artificially inflated through cheating i.e. unjustified scripted abilities that ignore the ruleset.
And you are wrong, ignorant and stupid.

Encounter design is good when both the player and the enemies play by the same rules
Which is impossible in RTwP.

With BG hard encounter design you either have to use the ridiculous magic immunity scrolls or just save-scum and hope the gods of randomness favor you this time. Regardless of how you've leveled your party.
:lol:

And if you think this is it you are sorely mistaken. We will continue for some time. shitbrain.

hell bovine

Arcane
Actually, Kangaxx's spell is slightly different - it's ranged, as opposed to imprisonment, which is a touch spell. Even then, BG2 arcane magic allowed for some hilariously broken tricks.

Did BG1 even have a summon limit? My only playthrough with the original was with a band of divine spellcasters, and I recall the game lost a lot of challenge once the ladies could summon an army of skeletons.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
BG1 had no summon cap. BG2 introduced it. There are mods that remove it from BGT/TuTu installations. It wasn't done for gamebalance - purely as a way to prevent BG2 from crashing.

I'm also unsure of this "cheating" that DollarSign is talking about.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
Like attacking from safe distance
Newsflash: attacking from a safe distance is cheese in hiver's world of lunacy. :lol: Unless you're saying that BG is riddled with poorly-designed maps that trap enemies on terrain and let you attack them with impunity (which I don't remember it having) or that it has unbalanced player vs. enemy max attack range (which I don't remember it having), your point is moot. If you do manage to provide examples of "abusing attack from safe distance" - your point is even more irrelevant, because you're just pointing out more flaws in BG encounter design, which is my argument in the first place. :lol: Of course, you're just talking out of your ass at this point, because there was never a point where your enemies couldn't reach you.

abusing stealth
Newsflash: having stealth is cheese in hiver's world of lunacy. :lol: In no way does it amount to abuse of the ruleset, because you either have high stealth and the enemy fails the check, or he sees you and kills you. Meaning, it works exactly the way it should.

fog of war
Eager to hear about abusing fog of war.

just preknowledge after playing it a hundred times
And now we know how hiver plays Baldur's Gate. :lol: Save, fail, repeat. Hundred attempts later he randomly wins and runs to RPGCodex screaming awesome encounter design. :roll:

retreating and then coming back later fully healed with spells replenished
That's just a forgiving mechanic to prevent crap players like you from getting stuck with an unbeatable boss. I don't recall ever being motivated to flee in the middle of a boss battle because it never made sense narratively. Giving enemies cheating script-spells is not a viable solution to this problem because a well-designed hard enemy encounter should be hard even for a fully-stocked freshly-healing party. And many boss battles wouldn't let you leave until the boss was dead, if I remember correctly. Some enemies, like liches, will follow you outside. Basically, more nonsense from dumbfuck!!.

where the player can heal as many times as he likes while enemies have one measly heal potion or lower spell at best?
Healing is all but irrelevant with cheating spellcaster enemies because you are able to land a hit the enemy is pretty much dead. Dragons are the only ones with tons of HP and you will need all the healing you can get to make up for the difference.

So, now that hiver has failed to provide any justification for cheating script-spells, let's see what he concocted in an attempt to deny objective reality and avoid humiliation. :roll:

None of those are "SCRIPTED NON-COUNTERABLE SPELLS that live outside of the ruleset"
They are all in the ruleset you stupid laughable devolved shit.
Actually, they are.

Spell sequencers - moron. Plenty of them too, which you can also use if you want. Nothing insta replenishing about them.
Players can use multiple spell sequencers of the same type? :lol: You've never actually played BG, have you? Plus, half the time it's not even an impossible multi-use high-level spell sequencer, but a hard-coded script.

Charm is an ordinary spell you can use, summons too. Detonation arrows you can get too.
Hiver is so stupid, his brain blocks out the "hard-coded insta-cast uninterruptible cheating script spells" two seconds after reading my post.

It works in two different ways for players and enemies.

Beholders are special high level creatures with their own abilities you cannot have because you are not a Beholder, imbecile.
Thanks for confirming my original argument of Baldur's Gate having ill-conceived enemies that fire cheating scripted spells outside of the normal ruleset in a way that is entirely inaccessible to the player. :smug: You managed to add an unnecessary insult at the end there, but I just assumed you were raised in a brothel or crack den.

Kangax imprisonment spells are the same ones you can use
No, his imprisonment spells are actually hard-coded scripts that, as hell bovine stated, are ranged as opposed to touch, are insta-cast, uninterruptable, and don't seem to have a limit. Oh, let me guess, Kangaxx is a special high level creature that uses his own abilities because you're not a demilich. :lol:

You know, you could have just said from the beginning "yes, I know the only hard enemies in BG are the ones that cheat like there's no tomorrow, but I don't have a problem with it because lore establishes them as having special backgrounds, allowing me to suspend my disbelief and just save-scum or magic-immune my way to victory". You'd still have poor taste in gaming, but at least you wouldn't look like a thoroughly-ravaged butthurt moron. :roll:

As we see there are no such spells as you describe. Expect in very rare cases such as Irenicus spells, which is excused by him literally being outside of the rule set genius and main villain who you rarely interact with before the very end.
Thanks for providing another example of an enemy that's only difficult because his AI cheats. The fucking obligatory recurrent final boss and main villain of the game! :lol: Just in case you wanted to say "yes, enemies cheat, but these are all optional encounters you can ignore". Good job ruining the only remaining excuse for getting out of the hole you dug for yourself. :smug:

Thats the consequence of the whole system being built on such spells and spell like abilities and any melee skills being just the most basic and quite boring ones. Which is one of the most fmailiar and even "famous" problems of IE games.
You're doing such a good job poking holes in your argument, I should just sit back and watch you argue with yourself. :lol: Yes, as I have said in my original post, the BG combat system is ridiculously skewed in favor of spellcasters, and even though the normal ruleset provides plenty of opportunities for spellcaster enemies being difficult through creative use of powerful spells, the game still resorts to having them cheat through all of the aforementioned examples. Shit encounter design is shit.

And if you think this is it you are sorely mistaken
Actually, your factually fallacious retorts and blanket contradictions are getting rather old. Since you're not able to properly defend your argument, and have likely realized yourself that your original position is 100% inaccurate and based solely on your inability to read and comprehend the posts you respond to and are doing this solely in hopes of stumbling on a miracle that will save you from even more public humiliation, I do not see myself responding to any more of your drivel, unless you are able to provide a single argument that is neither clearly false nor irrelevant to the discussion. A response filled with nothing but infantile attempts at insults and rivers of blood from your butt will result in a prompt and irreversible ignore. :)

hiver

naturally, the weak imbecile response.

I guess a devolved turd like you thinks that separating a single sentence and pretending its all different separate sentences makes you look like anything that you are. A stupid shit.
The tactic of abusing fog of war by stealthing to discover where enemies are then shooting them while they are covered in fog of war, either with weapons or AoE spells is an old as RTwP games. You know that very well its just that your idiot brain cannot find any other way to weasel out of your own stupidity so it just drowns you in it even more.

That's just a forgiving mechanic to prevent crap players like you from getting stuck with an unbeatable boss.
Who said anything about a Boss there? Strawmans falling out of that idiot shit filled skull again.

I was talking about the way players can cheese through any dungeon as they please, with abilities that enemies do not have.

Thanks for providing another example of an enemy that's only difficult because his AI cheats. The fucking obligatory recurrent final boss and main villain of the game!
Yup. Only the boss is not the usual hard encounter of the game since its always at the very end and almost always a character that is "special". So it cannot be taken as an example of the game hard encounters.

No, his imprisonment spells are actually hard-coded scripts that, as hell bovine stated, are ranged as opposed to touch, are insta-cast, uninterruptable, and don't seem to have a limit.
They do have a limit and are easily defended against, with proper buffing. Or just berserking Minsc and letting Boo go for the eyes. You laughable turd.

Kangaxx is also not any kind of usual hard encounter in the game, but the one time only special encounter which is internally excused with him supposedly being almost godlike. Which his epic spells show. Same as irenicus.

If your cheap idiot theory was correct you would be able to provide actual examples of hard counters that are unbeatable due to "unfair" spells.

Thanks for confirming my original argument of Baldur's Gate having ill-conceived enemies that fire cheating scripted spells outside of the normal ruleset in a way that is entirely inaccessible to the player. You managed to add an unnecessary insult at the end there, but I just assumed you were raised in a brother or crack den.
Well that would be true if you could become a Beholder in the game where different creatures have different abilities. You cant, so its not, and youre nothing more then a mewling hemerhoid. I have no idea where you were raised but it looks like someones asshole.
It was no insult btw, its simple truth.

Hiver is so stupid, his brain blocks out the "hard-coded insta-cast uninterruptible cheating script spells" two seconds after reading my post.

Yeah? I thought you said
"SCRIPTED NON-COUNTERABLE SPELLS that live outside of the ruleset"
And all those spells are in the ruleset and available to the player. And they are counterable. All of them. You just havent figured out how - which is the reason for this epic butthurt diarrhea that falling out of you.

Healing is all but irrelevant with cheating spellcaster enemies because you are able to land a hit the enemy is pretty much dead.
Because they cant heal themselves asthe player can, or retreat and come back fully healed, or hit you from outside of the fog of war limits, etc, etc...

Its only irrelevant to a devolved turd like yourself, who is drowning in those mental feces more and more.

For the player, not for the enemies, because true sight doesn't cancel it the way it should.
No... you were talking about enemy abilities. They just use invisibility and move around until its dispelled or they make a move. True sight does make them visible but thats a spell that can be saved against.

You're doing such a good job poking holes in your argument, I should just sit back and watch you argue with yourself. :lol: Yes, as I have said in my original post, the BG combat system is ridiculously skewed in favor of spellcasters, and even though the normal ruleset provides plenty of opportunities for spellcaster enemies being difficult through creative use of powerful spells, the game still resorts to having them cheat through all of the aforementioned examples. Shit encounter design is shit.
The problem is that you are incapable of understanding what those words mean in all that butthurt fueled by your stupidity and incompetence.

The system is sqewed in favor of spellcasters.... therefore there cannot be a purely melee based hard encounter - because in such a system the player party will be spell based, one way or another - and the player can cheese through allof it in ways that the AI cannot possibly do.
Which is why those few lone examples of one special encounter and the ending boss have those special spells that you dont.

To balance cheap shit retards like you from cheesing it.

I know this is too complicated for such a laughable turd... but its true.

Actually, your factually fallacious retorts and blanket contradictions are getting rather old.
Yeah? i dont see any quotes of my posts confirming the previous strawmans you made...

And an obvious dumbfuck vomiting his laughable psychological projections is not what proves anything except what a devolved laughable shit you are. Youre a natural. :lol:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Dear OP,

BG is awesome, if it bores you it's probably because you have the attention span of a goldfish. I'll admit that the wilderness is pretty empty, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. IMO, not every area needs to be filled with important stuff, that is simply very unrealistic. BG's plot is great, and I REALLY don't get this "sling spam" complaints. I've finished the game at least 7 times and never bothered with giving everyone a ranged weapon. I am, however, aware that ranged weapons were OP in BG1 (hence, Coran being the BEST companion, IMO).

BG 2 has a lot more exposition and an easier to follow plot, that's probably why some ppl dislike BG 1 but love BG 2. BG 1 forces you to READ books and notes in order to figure out what's happening. They are both :5/5: games and saying "BG not soo gud, BG 2 gr8" is just a sad cliche. I, for one, don't agree with this statement at all and honestly can't pick "the better game" between BG1 and 2. As for the combat limitations, blame low level AD&D, not BG. One bad roll of the dice killing your lvl 1 mage is AD&D WAD, not a BG flaw.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I am, however, aware that ranged weapons were OP in BG1 (hence, Coran being the BEST companion, IMO).

Coran is great, cuz he cheats by having bow Mastery and +DEX - and is a decent thief for Catacombs/Durlag's. But if you do the math, Khalid (given time) and Kivan aren't really that far behind. And what does a few +THAC0/dmg matter, anyway, when there are 2d6 acid arrows and arrows of detonation? :P

The "best" companion, imo, is any char that can cast Sleep, Blindness, Web - and use wands. I'm not really into summons, but fifty bears and undead are OP, too.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Coran is great, cuz he cheats by having bow Mastery and +DEX - and is a decent thief for Catacombs/Durlag's. But if you do the math, Khalid (given time) and Kivan aren't really that far behind. And what does a few +THAC0/dmg matter, anyway, when there are 2d6 acid arrows and arrows of detonation? :P

The "best" companion, imo, is any char that can cast Sleep, Blindness, Web - and use wands. I'm not really into summons, but fifty bears and undead are OP, too.

OH DEM HACKED STATZ were the best part. I played PnP AD&D and the first time I laid eyes on Coran's sheet I was like "OMFG, HE IS TOTALLY NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE THAT MUCH GUD STUFF!!". Edwin is also a hackz0r, and so is Kagain.

Also, "Luck be a lady!", "You have beautiful, errm...eyes" were classy. Dunno, I was 10 y/o back then. I was really pissed at how poorly Coran was portrayed in BG 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom