Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It was there. Greenlight was the start of the downfall.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://steamed.kotaku.com/none-of-2016s-most-played-steam-games-came-out-in-2016-1791048654
The sheer number of games on Steam is overwhelming, and more new ones come out per day than ever before. Despite that, Steam’s upper echelon has calcified, with an Old Guard looking down from the top of the most-played list at all the peasants below.

GitHyp, a tool that tracks Steam’s most-played games (among other things), posted an analysis of the most-played games of 2016. A few findings stand out. First off, if you look at average number of players per hour throughout the year, you get a top five list that looks awfully similar to 2015's, with zero games that came out in 2016:

1. Dota 2 / 636,607 avg. players per hour (#1 in 2015)
  2. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 360,600 avg. players per hour (#2 in 2015)
  3. Team Fortress 2 / 50,802 avg. players per hour (#4 in 2015)
  4. Grand Theft Auto V / 40,258 avg. players per hour (#5 in 2015)
  5. Sid Meier’s Civilization V / 37,885 avg players per hour (#9 in 2015)
Steam users like Valve games. Shocking, I know. But it is surprising to see Civ V gain ground in the year that Civ VI came out. Meanwhile, Fallout 4 fell out of the top five and top ten, because it just never quite caught on to the same degree as, say, Skyrim. And because it really disappointed me personally. If Jason gets to delay games, I get to knock them off the Steam charts. It’s only fair.

GitHyp’s other list is arranged according to peak concurrent player count, and it tells a different story, with a few fresh-faced actors:

1. Dota 2 / 1,286,617 peak players (#1 in 2015)
  2. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 845,806 peak players (#2 in 2015)
  3. No Man’s Sky / 212,321 peak players (new)
  4. XCOM 2 / 132,834 peak players (new)
  5. Dark Souls III / 129,922 peak players (new)
The No Man’s Sky marketing campaign strikes again. XCOM 2 and Dark Souls III also attracted hungry hordes of players at launch, but DOTA 2 and CSGO still reigned supreme. And despite strong launches, Dark Souls III came in 21st on the list of average number of players per hour, while No Man’s Sky fell to #41 after disappointment set in, and XCOM 2 came in at #44. It’s one thing to launch strong. It’s something else to have legs, even when you’ve got a thriving mod community ala XCOM 2 or a game-changing update slate like No Man’s Sky.

The last part of GitHyp’s analysis, though, might surprise you the most. “When looking at the average players per hour, it was actually the free-to-play team-based shooter, Paladins, that ended as 2016’s strongest new release ranking in at #15 on Steam with an average of 22,809 players per hour,” they wrote.

Calling it now: Paladins will outlive us all. And also Overwatch. Come at me.

You’re reading Steamed, Kotaku’s page dedicated to all things in and around Valve’s wildly popular PC gaming service. Games, culture, community creations, criticism, guides, videos—everything. If you’ve found anything cool/awful on Steam, send us a message to let us know.
kxnr9fdb2wehoggzepng.png

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I don't understand this estimated revenue. Dark souls 3 sold less than DOOM but has higher revenue. Could you explain how this goes from financial standpoint?
Some games cost more than others, meaning more revenue per sale.

IIRC D44M went on 50% sale after just a few months, so that's probably when most people bought it.

Mustawd

I don't understand this estimated revenue. Dark souls 3 sold less than DOOM but has higher revenue. Could you explain how this goes from financial standpoint?

DOOM either has a higher per unit price originally or was heavily discounted after release.

Mozg

Arcane
I wish someone had been making a documentary about the Stardew Valley guy to see him go from seemingly insane drag on his long-suffering girlfriend and butt of jokes to his family to making tens of millions of dollars on a SNES game.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I wish someone had been making a documentary about the Stardew Valley guy to see him go from seemingly insane drag on his long-suffering girlfriend and butt of jokes to his family to making tens of millions of dollars on a SNES game.
And he's still working on the game.

pippin

And for contrast interview yanderedev

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
steam sales sure have turned to shit. i have 50+ games on my wishlist and only 1 is on sale at all. I remember the good old days when half their games were 50/-75% off at any given time. now even during sales I'm lucky to see 5 games out of 50 with a 50% or more discount.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dungeons of the Endless is dirt cheap. Is it :decline: or :incline:?

Steam says I've played it 32 hours and I feel like I've got my money's worth, but that's probably about it for me. Still loads of pods to unlock and play through, so there's quite a lot of game there if you're grabbed by it. For £2.24 in GBP, it's dirt cheap and worth it.

I always thought Dungeon of the Endless would be a perfect mobile game- open a few doors, watch the pixels fly, decide upgrades in the lull before opening another door. The pace is perfect for mobile.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If I wanted to play Legends of Grimrawk then I can reinstall it and download fan-made adventures.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom