Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

DeepOcean

Arcane
"this is one of the most unambitious, least exciting and just plain dull games I’ve managed to play."
Yep, sounds like the typical Bethesda game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I guess we haven't seen all the modes and some function were hidden. We have to see full package to judge.
I agree MP mustn't be Quake/COD/BF clone but must have it's own uniqueness. I hope this uniqueness wasn't shown in beta.

Btw, it would be cool that you could detonate BFG projectile with your gun, if precise, and that way obliterate player who shoot it.

Here's some gameplay from the full version. No idea how they got their hands on it.

Dear good, playing FPS with a gamepad is an atrocity.

lightbane

Arcane
In spite of showing a really slow gameplay, an annoying "shields down" warning (seriously, how did they manage to fuck up that after several games being fine?) and weapons which sound like toys, at least this Harlock 5 doesn't seem to force you to perform fatalities to kill someone, nor there seem to be I WIN transformation power-ups, unlike NuDoom.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Every Bethesda game released, it seems Bethesda does some Code 66 on the fan bots and they go on a rampage calling everybody that doesn't like their shitty games of no life toxic scum. Totaly expect a legion of nu-Doom lovers that are really true "hardcore" Doom fans even if they never played a PC game on their life.

Luzur

Good Sir
13012893_1019810951445106_896455861042244355_n.jpg

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
How did they not change that cover? Everyone told them how bad it was and all they did was make a reverse one.

The game was still months out from release when they revealed it right? I would think that would still give them plenty of time to change stuff.

So here's a question.

Assuming you don't just want to just make a Quake clone and call it Doom, how would you design a good Doom PvP multiplayer? The original Doom multiplayer wasn't anything particularly remarkable, right? But is there something there you could evolve in an interesting direction, one that is distinct from Quake and other arena shooters?

I'd love to see co-op and the 'SP levels are also MP levels' parts of DOOM try to make a comeback in the FPS landscape. I think a big part of why DOOM had good levels was that the requirements of MP made it so that all levels had to have lots of branches and interconnections.

Has there ever been a singleplayer-focused FPS that did a Souls-like setup where SP could turn in to an impromptu PvP game on the fly (or letting the enemy players control monsters, ala Left 4 Dead)?

It's in their DNA so much that they are a 4th generation inbred.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Not a single "visceral" word?

How about a visceral picture instead?

░░░░░░░░░░░█▀▀░░█░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄▀▀▀▀░░░░░█▄▄░░░░
░░░░░░█░█░░░░░░░░░░▐░░░
░░░░░░▐▐░░░░░░░░░▄░▐░░░
░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░▄▀▀░▐░░░
░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░▐░▄▄▀░░░░
░░▄▀░░░▐░░░░░█▄▀░▐░░░░░
░░█░░░▐░░░░░░░░▄░█░░░░░
░░░█▄░░▀▄░░░░▄▀▐░█░░░░░
░░░█▐▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀░░▐░█░░░░░
░░▐█▐▄░░▀░░░░░░▐░█▄▄░░░
░░░▀▀░▄DOOM ▄░░░▐▄▄▄▀░░
░░░░░░░ 2016░░░░░░░░░░░░

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
So, they showed off snapmap and you can change your player speed so you can make your own multiplayer maps where you can go super fast.

EDIT:
Also, snapmap maps have no level up system and don't have any loadout systems so it might be a saving grace.

T. Reich

Arcane
Not a single "visceral" word?

How about a visceral picture instead?

░░░░░░░░░░░█▀▀░░█░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄▀▀▀▀░░░░░█▄▄░░░░
░░░░░░█░█░░░░░░░░░░▐░░░
░░░░░░▐▐░░░░░░░░░▄░▐░░░
░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░▄▀▀░▐░░░
░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░▐░▄▄▀░░░░
░░▄▀░░░▐░░░░░█▄▀░▐░░░░░
░░█░░░▐░░░░░░░░▄░█░░░░░
░░░█▄░░▀▄░░░░▄▀▐░█░░░░░
░░░█▐▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀░░▐░█░░░░░
░░▐█▐▄░░▀░░░░░░▐░█▄▄░░░
░░░▀▀░▄DOOM ▄░░░▐▄▄▄▀░░
░░░░░░░ 2016░░░░░░░░░░░░

E1M1 '16.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why do they keep showing footage of the multiplayer while completely ignoring the singleplayer?
Doesn't even Bethesda have that much faith in it?

T. Reich

Arcane
The nuDooM reveal had showcased enough of single player so that everyone knows that it's going to be a cinematic experience taking the form of slow-paced on-the-rails shooting gallery with gory melee takedowns to add a bit of variety.
Or do you expect a brilliant plot reveal? I suppose, that's only to be expected from the masters of writing that Beth are.

tormund

Arcane
So, it looks like you can't even make connected episodes/campaigns in CrapMap, only standalone SP maps. On top of all of its limitations, this means that it will be p much useless for SP mapping.

tormund

Arcane
I'm surprised that people on other forums are suddenly claiming how they were impressed by latest CrapMap stream or how they are convinced that it will save the game. It looks p much like... same basic and really limited crap as before.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Aside from the obvious awfulness of the cover itself, what's with this Master Chief nuDoomguy? He doesn't look cool or badass in any way, just incredibly bland, boring and generic. They probably think that the original 90s Doom aesthetic wouldn't appeal to masses today but I'm sure that if they had just recreated the original Doom Marine with modern graphical fidelity and slightly darker colors, even 95% of the millenials and other moderntards would have though that he looks way more badass. Not to mention something other than a replica of Master Chief.

tumblr_inline_o494m4Qk2v1rft6m6_540.png

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Aside from the obvious awfulness of the cover itself, what's with this Master Chief nuDoomguy? He doesn't look cool or badass in any way, just incredibly bland, boring and generic. They probably think that the original 90s Doom aesthetic wouldn't appeal to masses today but I'm sure that if they had just recreated the original Doom Marine with modern graphical fidelity and slightly darker colors, even 95% of the millenials and other moderntards would have though that he looks way more badass. Not to mention something other than a replica of Master Chief.

tumblr_inline_o494m4Qk2v1rft6m6_540.png
They could have at the very least for something that resembled the Doomguy model in Quake 3.
latest

Exposed abs aside, how would something like this not create a better impression for casuals? Does every armor need to be overdesigned like a 343i or Tetsuya Nomura design?

Or do you expect a brilliant plot reveal? I suppose, that's only to be expected from the masters of writing that Beth are.

Kill your son or open a hell portal to earth, you heard it here first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom