Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Golden Baby Flaps Its Wings: Grimoire Demo Released!

ZombieZombie

Novice
Cleve, it worked originally for me (pre patch 1.1) and was more stable than with 1.1. However in 1.0 I was not able to descend into Shrine of Raptor so I've upgraded and started to see the issues. Right now I'm still examining exactly what triggers the crash. If all the minidump data can be worth anything to you, let me know. I'm archiving them...

You're full of crap. Stop trying to spread attention-whore stories about the demo having ransomware embedded in it. That's a spurious claim and you need to document that with corroboration from any of the other 7 billion people on the planet.

I'm not claiming anything, the scanner is. Hate the game not the player, maaaaaaan

edit: that said, it's one out of 40, so it shouldn't scare anyone.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All that he wants is a Golden Baby
ITZ COMING on Monday boy
All that he wants is a Golden Baby
Eh eh eh

Black_Willow

Arcane
Damn, I'm experiencing one crash after another. Opening a chest - game freezes and I have to alt-ctrl-del. Fighting those flowers - the same thing. Am I doing something wrong?
My os is win 7 64 bit.

ZombieZombie

Novice
I tried the game on Vista 64 and it crashes much more there than on my w7. It looks like 64bit problem. Can anyone confirm how the game behaves on 32bit systems?

EG

Nullified
Damn, I'm experiencing one crash after another. Opening a chest - game freezes and I have to alt-ctrl-del. Fighting those flowers - the same thing. Am I doing something wrong?
My os is win 7 64 bit.

Always the flowers. :rage:

And sometimes on saving.

No msvc* installed here to cause conflicts, sadly.

I'll try it on a virtual XP 32-bit later.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
In that sense Grimrock did a lot of harm, giving people the satisfaction of being "old skoolz hardcore RPG players" when in fact they were being served anything but, with step-based 90° movement to kind of create the illusion.

Not to say i don't respect the Grimrock team for their 10 years of toil though, but a surely unintended effect may well be the final nail in the coffin of true old school computer roleplaying.

I disagree strongly.

Grimoire is based on Wizardry 6 + 7.

Grimrock is based on even older games like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder I + II, and Lands of Lore.

They are different types of blobbers.

What Grimrock emulates, it does quite well. Yes it has flaws, but what do you expect from an indie team working with low resources and no Kickstarter?

Grimrock II will be even better I am sure. Also it took them 1.5-2 years to make it, not 10.

My point wasn't really how old the model game is but the level of omplexity. Also I'm not criticizing grimrock which does what it advertises very well. I'm just saying that it sets standards in terms of game complexity (not too high) and production value (very high) for any future project might very well need to meet to get any attention.

Finally, you're wrong about the 1.5-2 years.

The Grimrock project was first called Dungeon Master 2000, then "Escape from Dragon Mountain" and the thread announcing it on Dungeon Master forums started in 2001. Note the author name, PetriH, one of the four Finns.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also, does it mean Laidlaw actually enjoys Wizardry(-likes) but had to make the kind of game that was DA2 because BIOWARE? Would be funny if so. Anyone have a list of Laidlaw's favorite RPGs?
Ah, my developer stalking-hobby pays off once again.

http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1218360440

https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw/status/303335527208349696
SweetDesires
@Mike_Laidlaw What's your favorite video game?!
Mike Laidlaw
@NikkiThreeSixty Of all time? Ultima VI.

4ha71k.png

15zoxhf.png

ipoxv7.png

http://social.bioware.com/ http:/social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/315/index/7484603/3#7488931
Mike Laidlaw said:
Woah woah woahhhh there.

I will not have my love of RPGs called into question without retort. As I type this I am looking at my displayed original boxes of Wasteland, Ultima 4, 5, 6, and 7 and the original Phantasie for the C64.

I like RPGs. I like them a lot. So much so that I will fight tooth and nail to keep party-based mechanics and gameplay viable in todays market, when it would have been infinitely easier for me to move Dragon Age to a single-character RPG or action game.

Now, as to this thread, which I find illuminating, let me quite clear: I am absolutely, positively, all about expanding the audience for party-based RPGs. I am shameless in wanting the entire planet to enjoy a genre I am passionate about. It is not an easy task, and I do not think we made a perfect move to do so in DAII; I have said as much already.
I believe him. Passion doesn't equate to the proper application of critical examination though. He was a games journalist (and his favorite game of all time is Ultima 6 FFS). :P

Tigranes

Arcane
Played 4 minutes on v1.1 with the Quickstart, liked what I saw except for lack of tooltips, crashed with the flower-enemy. Will try again later.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know some people whose favorite Ultima was U6. It's a messed up game in a lot of ways, but I think it had an Oblivion-like appeal to many people at the time of its release. They'd never seen something so ambitious before. U7 was the Skyrim to U6's Oblivion - further streamlined, but also a more coherent experience.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I prefer U6 to U7 mostly because the combat doesn't make me suicidal. Clusterfuck doesn't even begin to describe the mess.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I prefer U6 to U7 mostly because the combat doesn't make me suicidal. Clusterfuck doesn't even begin to describe the mess.

heh Yeah Ultima not only crated a new type of open world, but a new type of combat system. Clusterfuck Combat™. :lol:

Saduj

Arcane
Demo release is latest news item on indierpgs.com. Tone of article and comments are heretical skeptically hopeful.

EG

Nullified
Congratulations Grimoire and Cleve for releasing a version that doesn't flag as carrying a trojan! And, that has an exe that isn't extractable. Take it this isn't a debug build then?

Still have all the same crashes, I'm sorry to report. :( Have a bunch of old machines stuffed in a closet though -- I won't let it deter me.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Played around with it for a bit. Looks great, love the feel of the game. I like the depth on character creation and stats. LOVE that its turn based and you say it is a "thinking game".

Unfortunately I had 3 crashes in less than a half hour, twice in combat with the flower monster. I would definitely buy\back this game once it becomes more stable.

Hey Cleve can you post an image of the world map that would be included with a purchase of the game? Or is it the same one in the game just bigger?

The map looks very small for a game announcing a potential 600 hours of play.

Repressed Homosexual
I think I have played enough, it was quite fun, finally a game that really stimulates the imagination. For the rest, I prefer to invest hours and hours in the game when it will be ready, and more polished. But it looks like the game of the year 2013 spot (if it does release in 2013) is an easy win.

Darkforge

Augur
I never completed Grimrock because I quickly found the combat was absolute shit and exploitable due to the movement system. Not because it was old school
Grimoire Demo is interesting, but crashed a lot for me. If i get word this improves in the superdemo I will buy.

nomask7

Arcane
Is the Grimoire exe supposed to attempt connection to the internet? My firewall complained about that at some point, may have caused the freezing I experienced when seeing something possibly resembling a gate in the forest and trying to walk through it. Had to terminate the Grimoire process.

The exploration/completion percentage on maps could be optional for a more hc experience. Not sure if the static combat encounters are too difficult even on novice or if I just happened to go somewhere I shouldn't have (this was in the forest though). Or my party of two giants was inadequate in general.

Grimoire at no time ever attempts to connect to the internet or calls any API for comms or does any external calls to anything outside of Grimoire.

Inside Grimoire it is the year 1995 and the internet was a far-off pipedream in the future. It knows nothing of this internet of which you speak.

OK. I suppose a virus on my machine MIGHT be able to attempt something via the Grimoire exe. Sounds a bit far fetched to me but I wouldn't know. So I full virus scanned my hard drive with heuristic level at medium, after scanning for rootkits. Nothing. Nothing. The firewall log shows repeated attempts at connection by the grimoire exe when I'm playing. Could it be a strange issue with the firewall, anyone? Is anyone else having this issue? Is a picture desired as proof I'm not trolling or delusional?

EG

Nullified
Is the Grimoire exe supposed to attempt connection to the internet? My firewall complained about that at some point, may have caused the freezing I experienced when seeing something possibly resembling a gate in the forest and trying to walk through it. Had to terminate the Grimoire process.

The exploration/completion percentage on maps could be optional for a more hc experience. Not sure if the static combat encounters are too difficult even on novice or if I just happened to go somewhere I shouldn't have (this was in the forest though). Or my party of two giants was inadequate in general.

Grimoire at no time ever attempts to connect to the internet or calls any API for comms or does any external calls to anything outside of Grimoire.

Inside Grimoire it is the year 1995 and the internet was a far-off pipedream in the future. It knows nothing of this internet of which you speak.

OK. I suppose a virus on my machine MIGHT be able to attempt something via the Grimoire exe. Sounds a bit far fetched to me but I wouldn't know. So I full virus scanned my hard drive with heuristic level at medium, after scanning for rootkits. Nothing. Nothing. The firewall log shows repeated attempts at connection by the grimoire exe when I'm playing. Could it be a strange issue with the firewall, anyone? Is anyone else having this issue? Is a picture desired as proof I'm not trolling or delusional?

Kill the old one. Get the new one (1.2) -- doesn't return any hits on that lovely virustotal website.

Mind, i didn't get any hits on the firewall for the first 1.0, the second 1.0 or 1.1.

Played on max difficulty and max number of random encounters surprisingly easily . . . is it broken? :(

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Kill the old one. Get the new one (1.2) -- doesn't return any hits on that lovely virustotal website.

Mind, i didn't get any hits on the firewall for the first 1.0, the second 1.0 or 1.1.

Played on max difficulty and max number of random encounters surprisingly easily . . . is it broken? :(

I adjusted quite a few of the common monsters in the demo area so even the upper ranges were very tame. Fish, worms and bugs used to be unbeatable on SUPERHERO a while back. I will probably reset most of the upper limits to higher values when the game is completed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom