Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Future of RPGs: Looking Forward to Sequels

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
<p>G4TV have decided to <a href="http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/707941/The-Future-of-RPGs-Looking-Forward-At-Diablo-3-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Mass-Effect-3-And-More.html">depress us all by looking ahead</a> at the coming year in RPG-dom:</p>
<p> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><strong>The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim:</strong> We don't know much about The Elder Scrolls 5, except that it's finally actually coming out, and will arrive on 11/11/11. Perhaps the best news of all around the announcement of the game was the fact that it would be using an entirely new engine, rather than the beginning-to-show-its-age Gamebryo engine.

<strong>Mass Effect 3: </strong>We also know that players can expect an even deeper character/save file transfer system, more sophisticated enemies and combat, and, sadly, more mining, albeit via a more streamlined version of it. While it will most likely be a little less than a year before ME3 hits our disc trays, BioWare will be bridging the gap between ME2 and ME3 through DLC.

<strong>Diablo 3: </strong>[...] visions of the game&rsquo;s countless new features including the Artisan system, which gives you access to traveling craftsmen (blacksmith, mystic, or a jeweler), or the new Skill Runes system, which lets you fundamentally change skills in a variety of ways depending on the rune you use (i.e. acid-spewing poison Hydra heads vs. chain lighting powered Hydra heads). In short, Diablo fans are in for an experience that should feel simultaneously familiar yet fresh and exciting.

<strong>Dragon Age 2: </strong>BioWare came right out and asked gamers, "What didn&rsquo;t work?" in Dragon Age: Origins when it started development on Dragon Age II, and the feedback the team received from this question directly influenced how they approached every aspect of the sequel. For starters, the game sports an improved graphics engine and art style that will give the game a much grittier tone.

<strong>Hunted: The Demon's Forge: </strong>The "Gears of WarCraft" descriptor that the developers at inXile Entertainmnet have applied to their fantasy RPG makes much more sense when you see the game in action.

<strong>Deus Ex: Human Revolution: </strong>Want to go guns blazing for a little and then do some stealth? Go for it. Hack a little here, convince someone to share a password there. It's up to you. This kind of freedom will ultimately create an experience that is different every time, which has quickly become a staple of modern RPGs.

<strong>The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings: </strong>For the sequel, the developers have focused a lot of attention on the non-linearity of the experience by giving players an absurd number of ways to progress through the game. For example, one jailbreak sequence has over 600 possible variations!</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"> </p>
<p>Highlights: Demon's Forge is not Wasteland, Fargo! BioWare ask for improvements and the thing they fix is the graphics to make it "grittier". If Deus Ex created some kind of staple for freedom in RPGs, I haven't seen it and 600 possible variations? My fat hairy prison-escaping ass.

Spotted @ <a href="http://www.sorcerers.net/">Sorcerers.net</a></p>

Andhaira

Arcane
2011 looks like it will be a good year for rpgs.

Also, does anyone know if twitcher will be ported to consoles? From what I recall, twitcher 1 was pc only.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
AndhairaX said:
2011 looks like it will be a good year for rpgs.

Also, does anyone know if twitcher will be ported to consoles? From what I recall, twitcher 1 was pc only.

andhaira.png

Stay the fuck back in GD

Seeker
In My Safe Space
From the g4tv list only Witcher 2 is an actual role playing game, in my humble opinion. If the rumors are true and the protagonist of Dragon Age 2 is Morrigan's son i will not play this game.
Because in Dragon Age 1 i chose not to engage in coitus with Morrigan.

Phelot

Arcane
Dragon Age 2: BioWare came right out and asked gamers, "What didn’t work?" in Dragon Age: Origins

LOL NOTHING IT WAS PERFECT SCORE GOTY!!!!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
1451 said:
From the g4tv list only Witcher 2 is an actual role playing game, in my humble opinion. If the rumors are true and the protagonist of Dragon Age 2 is Morrigan's son i will not play this game.
Because in Dragon Age 1 i chose not to engage in coitus with Morrigan.
No, you're some random kid who can apparently be either a boy or a girl from the first town you visit. His last name is Hawke, since everyone loves Shepard.

The next Bioware series will star a PC whose last name is either:
a) Titan
b) Power
c) Shepard

Baron

Arcane
I can't respect any list of RPGs that doesn't include a party full of Lords and Ninjas. Pls add this.

They forgot another sequel: Dungeon Siege 3.

AndhairaX said:

They're planning to port it later.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
The next Bioware series will star a PC whose last name is either:
a) Titan
b) Power
c) Shepard

His title? Commander.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"From the g4tv list only Witcher 2 is an actual role playing game"

Bullshit.

First off, Wither is an Action RPG and DA has more role-playing in its pinky finger than Wither does in its entirety since no matter what you are the lame ass uncool white hair dude.

Luzur

Good Sir
Baron said:
I can't respect any list of RPGs that doesn't include a party full of Lords and Ninjas. Pls add this.

wow, Wizardry is still going strong in Japan.

did they acquire the rights to it somehow?

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Volourn you may be right, but i was comparing Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2. And in Dragon Age 2 you have a pre-defined character just like in Witcher 2.
It doesn't matter if you change his sex, he still remains commander Hawke.

Bulba

Learned
1451 said:
Volourn you may be right, but i was comparing Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2. And in Dragon Age 2 you have a pre-defined character just like in Witcher 2.
It doesn't matter if you change his sex, he still remains commander Hawke.
Who is commander hawke? your mom?

you don't have to be a fighter

Shannow

Waster of Time
The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim: We don't know much about The Elder Scrolls 5, except that it's finally actually coming out, and will arrive on 11/11/11. Perhaps the best news of all around the announcement of the game was the fact that it would be using an entirely new engine, rather than the beginning-to-show-its-age Gamebryo engine.
Yada yada

Mass Effect 3: We also know that players can expect an even deeper character/save file transfer system, more sophisticated enemies and combat, and, sadly, more mining, albeit via a more streamlined version of it. While it will most likely be a little less than a year before ME3 hits our disc trays, BioWare will be bridging the gap between ME2 and ME3 through DLC.
Yay, shitty DLC, shitty gameplay and shitty implementation of mechanics that were previously promised! My money is safe!
Diablo 3: [...] visions of the game’s countless new features including the Artisan system, which gives you access to traveling craftsmen (blacksmith, mystic, or a jeweler), or the new Skill Runes system, which lets you fundamentally change skills in a variety of ways depending on the rune you use (i.e. acid-spewing poison Hydra heads vs. chain lighting powered Hydra heads). In short, Diablo fans are in for an experience that should feel simultaneously familiar yet fresh and exciting.
So do we even count this under "RPG"? Doesn't even seem to be a H&SRPG anymore, more an equipment and DRM powered "action" game.
Dragon Age 2: BioWare came right out and asked gamers, "What didn’t work?" in Dragon Age: Origins when it started development on Dragon Age II, and the feedback the team received from this question directly influenced how they approached every aspect of the sequel. For starters, the game sports an improved graphics engine and art style that will give the game a much grittier tone.
Stop the lies, Kill the liars.

Hunted: The Demon's Forge: The "Gears of WarCraft" descriptor that the developers at inXile Entertainmnet have applied to their fantasy RPG makes much more sense when you see the game in action.
Gears of War? Isn't that the game the console crack babies all rave about?
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Want to go guns blazing for a little and then do some stealth? Go for it. Hack a little here, convince someone to share a password there. It's up to you. This kind of freedom will ultimately create an experience that is different every time, which has quickly become a staple of modern RPGs.
Shitty sequel to a game I don't give a fuck about.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings: For the sequel, the developers have focused a lot of attention on the non-linearity of the experience by giving players an absurd number of ways to progress through the game. For example, one jailbreak sequence has over 600 possible variations!
There are literary 10.000 endings in FO3!

Meh. What a sad list, when Skirim is the only game which potentionally could turn out to be an RPG (albeit a bad one), and only one of two that I'm even slightly interested in :/

tindrli

Arcane
Dragon Age 2: BioWare came right out and asked gamers, "What didn’t work?" in Dragon Age: Origins when it started development on Dragon Age II, and the feedback the team received from this question directly influenced how they approached every aspect of the sequel. For starters, the game sports an improved graphics engine and art style that will give the game a much grittier tone.
just cant believe that someone complained about graphics while all other aspects were BAD!!! or almost BAD!!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I love how the shopped pix have trolled the entire Codex into thinking DA2 will look like something from 90's.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Volourn you may be right,"

mAY? mAY? mAY? I 8am8 right.

" but i was comparing Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2."

Comparing two games not even out. Best of luck with that espicially when they're boths equels since they'll be like their originals.

On top of that, TW creators have alreayd admitted their combat will be more 'actiony' (which is hard to believe since TW's combat was already actiony (nothing wrong with that though since there's nopthing inherenetly wrong with being an Action RPG.

"And in Dragon Age 2 you have a pre-defined
character just like in Witcher 2."

No, this simply isn't true. Only things defined for DA2 character is last name, race, and family history. It should be noted, btw, that people tend not to be able to define their own family. However, class, personality, motivations, and eevrything in DA2 is defined by the player.

Unlike TW2 where everything about the character is alreadyd efined espicially since it is based off a book. In TW2 your character's name, abilities, personality, history, and basically everything else is defined. Hell, even PST gave you more freedom with TNO than TW series does.

"It doesn't matter if you change his sex, he still remains commander Hawke"

Who exactly is Commander Hawke? He/she's personality is what? Is he evil or good? Is he a clam leader type? A charge in take no prisoners barbarian? Is he a nerdy wizard? Is she a pyrotechnic who likes to blow shit up? Does it kick puppies or feed them? Does he steal everything not tied down or does she give alms to the poor?

So, my friend, who the fuck is YOUR Commander Hawke since I bet your Commander Hawke is different than my Commander Hawke but I bet white haired freak is the same monster hunting white haired freak as my same monster hunting white haired freak. Capiche?

No cobntest here. Despite all the smearing about DA2, no doubt with all its flaws it will be more of a RPG than TW2 will be. Ity will be by default no matter how much C&C either game has.

Espiically since DA's combat relies heavily more on stats than TW does. Hence why TW2 is Action RPG and DA2 is not. Quality here is irrelevant.

R00fles!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No, because Oblivion is a shitty RPG that lacks role-playing.

But, I'd argue that KOTOR is more of a RPG than BG is though BG is the better game.

Or TOEE is a better RPG than IWD even though I liked IWD more.

Hegel

Arcane
Volourn said:

But, I'd argue that KOTOR is more of a RPG than BG is though BG is the better game.

Oh no! Not this again.

Lumpy

Arcane
"Dragon Age 2: BioWare came right out and asked gamers, "What didn’t work?" in Dragon Age: Origins when it started development on Dragon Age II, and the feedback the team received from this question directly influenced how they approached every aspect of the sequel. For starters, the game sports an improved graphics engine and art style that will give the game a much grittier tone."
What a fucking cop out. Of course a sequel is going to have better graphics - how does that constitute "listening to the fans"?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where's AoD :rage:

AoD will be released in 2011! YOU HEAR? IT WILL! I'M SURE OF IT!

MonkeyLancer

Educated
Volourn said:

you like IWD more, because TOEE has cloud's sword, right? Oops! ooh right .. that's not you who says that

edit: Konjad, hope springs eternal

Hegel said:
Volourn said:

Oh no! Not this again.

Hmm...so what do you mean by something being 'a better rpg'? I mean, how would we go about defining what a 'rpg' is, so that we can differentiate a 'good rpg' from a 'good game'? :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom