Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Latro

Arcane
When I wasn’t gaming, I was playing sports. I played soccer, basketball, lacrosse, ran cross country, and competed in track and field.
fucking disgusting

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just got a backer-only update asking me to "keep this confidential". A link to a private chatroom.

For all of their preparation for running a Kickstarter campaign, these guys are shockingly naive about some things.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Discord Access for Backers
Posted by Jason Fader (Collaborator)
backer3x-460cb89427d3080c4af09ff9ed1230356e10dbb821d0681e852a539a7ff780dc.png
For backers only

Hey everyone, this is a Backer Only post, so please keep this confidential. Since you've unlocked the backer achievement for access to our Discord server, I'll be sharing a link to it in here, but this link will expire in 6 hours. We don't want it getting out to the masses just yet since this is a new thing for us. We'd like to open it up to our backers first, work out the kinks, and then open it to the public at a later time.

Oh, if you're unfamiliar with Discord, it's a voice chat app similar to TeamSpeak and Ventrilo, but cloud based for easier access and with a great text chat feature. The System Shock team uses Discord to communicate and have quick meetings on things. With access to this, you'll be able to participate in discussions and listen in on some meetings we have.

Nightdive Studios Discord Link: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Again, that link will only last for 6 hours. I can generate more links later and post them in the comments of this thread.

Can't wait to hear from some of you!

- Jason

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Just got a backer-only update asking me to "keep this confidential". A link to a private chatroom.

For all of their preparation for running a Kickstarter campaign, these guys are shockingly naive about some things.

Unless they don't care if non-backers get wind. "Secret Chat with System Shock Reboot Devs" is pretty clickbaity, which might encourage some more press coverage.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Highly doubt that. I distinctly remember hearing it when traversing a hallway when I played it way back in the day. Memory is a funny thing but I'm almost certain I got it in game.

Nein.

Z1pKZak.jpg

Old habits die hard.

Never got the line, or maybe it was in the Security Deck and I missed it, as the V3 jetpack can get you to simply avoid pieces of the level easily if you want to.

Lemme rant a little....

As a game, it's superior to SS2 in gameplay but inferior in presentation (sound design, bar some soundtrack pieces, is kinda mediocre). Bar the Cyberspace theme, ofc. Another plus, it's that it does not suffer from the lack of quality of SS2's last levels, and they are all fun until the end. Level 9 (Bridge) is incredibly easy, though, considering the array of weaponry and equipment you get (and level 9 has more medkits and power stations put together than the ... three previous decks put together? A walk in the park).

Boss fight is crap, but that was expected. Last playthrough I did ended at the Groves, bad move as the game had still some stuff to show.

About the remake, meh. SS1 won't work that well without all the details. I even liked Cyberspace, and the developers did not (it pretty much disappears from the game as a worthwile element after Level 6).

Let's see how they will manage. Badly, I presume. The sheer amount of stuff they need is staggering.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1634920

PS4
Posted by Jason Fader

Hey everyone, this is Jason again. I have some really exciting news to share. I fear the the subject title gives away the surprise… but I’ll go into more detail on things. :)

When we launched this Kickstarter, supporting PS4 was a possibility, but we hadn’t started talking to Sony just yet about it. We were all focused on wrapping the demo up and prepping the Kickstarter. We already had strong contacts at Microsoft from prior projects, so supporting XboxOne was less of an unknown. After we saw the overwhelming demand for PS4, we reshuffled our priorities and focused on talking to Sony about making that happen. After a few weeks and lotttts of emails, we are officially on track for bringing System Shock to the PS4!No stretch goal for it. We’re adding it in as a thank you to our backers that put their faith in us.

ea446788b1b8228c7c9e7ca3f994f664_original.jpg

Supporting more platforms will cost us more time/money since ensuring a game functions smoothly and relatively bug-free is different from platform to platform. The more we’re able to raise, the better the game will be. Please tell your friends about us, share this news about the PS4 support, and help us make the amazing game you all want :)

- Jason

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
P. spammy: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1635117

Giveaway #2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Posted by Jonathan Peros

Hey everyone! It's Jonathan (audio) here again with a quick update!

We are now hosting another giveaway! This time, we have partnered with NVIDIA to bring you all a chance at a GeForce GTX 1080!

Click to Enter the Giveaway! [Facebook.com]

"NVIDIA’s new flagship GeForce GTX 1080 is the most advanced gaming GPU ever created. Powered by the new NVIDIA® Pascal™ architecture, this breakthrough GPU delivers industry-leading performance, innovative new gaming technologies, and immersive, next-gen VR."

Enter the Giveaway! [Facebook.com]

Alternate Link

You can save yourself the MSRP of $699 by helping us promote our Kickstarter campaign through this giveaway. I've been using a GTX 960 this whole project, and it runs great; but this card is a new level of rad.

Learn more about the GTX 1080 here! [GeForce.com]

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
make sure to donate some more good goys

you want to see this oldschool revival remake done all propa dont you

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I cancelled my pledge. :negative:

It was a hard decision, because I love System Shock, want new Shock-inspired games to happen, and would have loved the remake if it wanted to be a simple remake and not a "let's improve this old game for the ~::Current Year::~ audience" exercise that's getting further and further from Shock with every update. But I can't believe in this project anymore. You can see the :decline: seep in gradually and inevitably as they get more funding. Kickstarter was supposed to be about letting you strike out on your own, and avoiding the ugly compromises that spiritually destroy games.

And I am starting to be sincerely relieved Underworld: Ascension didn't get over-funded. Looks like the only way to remain honest in the ~::Current Year::~ is on a low budget, lean and mean. You have to stay away from the corrupting influence of big money, learn to survive on your own. And by the way, that's how it has always been. That's the Looking Glass way. And it is more respectable in its failures than the mainstream model in its successes.

To those who still fight the good fight, I salute you, and you will always have my money and respect. :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
These people are getting too much coporate sponsorship. I don't trust it.

It's not unusual for high profile Kickstarters (lol XOUNTS), but they haven't been very elegant in the way they're announcing it.

You can see the :decline: seep in gradually and inevitably as they get more funding.

They haven't had much of that:

exp-cone.png

This might end up making less than Bard's Tale IV.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I mean, I guess System Shock 1's gameplay is simple enough to be ported to a console. As long as it's still developed primarily on PC and then ported to consoles it might not be as bad as you think.

To all those complaining about "too much funding", $1.25 million is not enough to make a game of this scope, I'm assuming they had means to get outside investment with just a requirement for a base sum to get development to a certain point where the game would look attractive for said investments.

Granted, it could all get fucked and this could just be console trash but at least then we have something new to cry about and make fun of.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I cancelled my pledge. :negative:

It was a hard decision, because I love System Shock, want new Shock-inspired games to happen, and would have loved the remake if it wanted to be a simple remake and not a "let's improve this old game for the ~::Current Year::~ audience" exercise that's getting further and further from Shock with every update. But I can't believe in this project anymore.

To those who still fight the good fight, I salute you, and you will always have my money and respect. :salute:

:bro:

I was on the fence about whether to back this, but after their latest shenanigans my decision is to pass.

What most of us want is an updated port of the original - not the original with trivial and pointless <Current Year> addons.

Riskbreaker

they haven't been very elegant in the way they're announcing it.
And that's putting it lightly.

Anyway, PS4 release is so much less frightening that the inclusion of full-blown SS2-like RPG system and its implications. After all, we knew about intended console release (Xbox) since the very beginning of their campaign.
At least there is still some hope for them not reaching their RPG/crafting stretch goal.

Latelistener

Arcane
Granted, it could all get fucked and this could just be console trash but at least then we have something new to cry about and make fun of.
Fair enough. Although I wish that people supported developers who are already producing high-quality games, instead of those who only promise them to do so.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They only release for PS4 to increase sales. With bigger sales they have more money to put into development of SS3. It's a nobrainer.
They're not the same company that's making SS3.

Nightdive isn't going to be in a position to fund Warren Spector's startup anytime soon, either. They're going to have their hands full with this for the next few years.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Sorry, would support those guys if they sticked to the original, not a graphix whore, and don't want to pay for a shinnier but shittier version of System Shock, no thanks. Can play the original anytime I want, hope they aren't fucking greedy undeserving assholes like BeamDog that took the old BGs from sale but hey... "getting money from desperate fans and using it to sell shit game to modern audiences" seems like a popular kickstarter fraud scheme so I don't expect them to be above that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom