Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Swords and Sorcery: Sovereign

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693640640

https://www.olderbytes.com/swords-and-sorcery-sovereign

I just announced the sequel to Swords and Sorcery - Underworld.

Replace last word with Sovereign :)

http://www.olderbytes.com/swords-and-sorcery-sequel-to-underworld-announcement.html

Full-scale overworld, two new classes, factions, crafting 163 monsters to date, new spells...

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
But it will have MS Paint-made graphics like the original version of your first game? With eye-melting green?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If you actually read the update, it shows some of the new art in the game (It looks like he used the same artist from the GOLD version).

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
But it will have MS Paint-made graphics like the original version of your first game? With eye-melting green?

Those were only rumors. I take it you didn't see that since you seem to see your keyboard and screen just fine?

Jokes aside, this is what I'm going with as of today:

worldview_test3.png

If you actually read the update, it shows some of the new art in the game (It looks like he used the same artist from the GOLD version).

Yes, same people for the art.

Why is there such a disparity between the environmental art and characters e.g. this stuff? I assume those environments are not made by the same artist as the characters? Have you considered working that dramatic, high contrast look into your environments? You could really develop it further, even into your interface art and make it like a playable 80's cartoon

Mortmal

Arcane
The sample art looks really good, wishing you good luck .I hope you expand on the original formula, adding choices and consequences for the factions.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Active character creation and development.

What did you have in mind for this exactly? I wouldn't mind having something more than dice rolls myself to be honest.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Why is there such a disparity between the environmental art and characters e.g. this stuff? I assume those environments are not made by the same artist as the characters? Have you considered working that dramatic, high contrast look into your environments? You could really develop it further, even into your interface art and make it like a playable 80's cartoon

The style is comic book, which tends to stress characters. Also they're affected by the fact that the engine contracts / expands them while the characters stay still so I'm not even sure a much better result is possible. Also now that most of the environments are done, TBH I absolutely am not considering having them remade.

The sample art looks really good, wishing you good luck .I hope you expand on the original formula, adding choices and consequences for the factions.

That's the plan but hey, Underworld is still awesome :D

Active character creation and development.

What did you have in mind for this exactly? I wouldn't mind having something more than dice rolls myself to be honest.

At this stage i honestly don't have specifics. I've been replaying a few classics and am toying with a variety of ideas. Also in itself it means nothing if not in correlation with what is going to be in the world. I wouldn't want to add toaster repair if the characters never eat breakfast :D
I'm still processing all that as I build base mechanics.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Charles-cgr Getting any work done now that RPGs start popping up left and right? :D

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Why yes I am! :)

I didn't wait for those though. Just that interesting updates on progress are few and far between because engine coding isn't that interesting to talk about. The good stuff (choices) comes later.

Morkar Left

Looks good! Could use a bit more showing of game mechanics (Char stats, combat)

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Concerning Sovereign, a first video teaser for the upcoming greenlight campaign:

:d1p:

Loved SS Underworld! My biggest issue with it was that I was pretty much railroaded for a long time until it opened up a bit after the dwarven city. Can I hope that Sovereign will be a bit more like M&M2 where you can explore almost the whole world (and probably die miserably) right after the starting area?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey Charles-cgr, what happened to your site? It's turned into this featureless white blogspot-looking thing.

Give me a heads up when the Greenlight page is ready.

Last edited:

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Concerning Sovereign, a first video teaser for the upcoming greenlight campaign:

Can I hope that Sovereign will be a bit more like M&M2 where you can explore almost the whole world (and probably die miserably) right after the starting area?

That is precisely what is intended :)

Hey Charles-cgr, what happened to your site? It's turned into this featureless white blogspot-looking thing.

Minimalism :obviously:

Hey Charles-cgrGive me a heads up when the Greenlight page is ready.

Will do!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.olderbytes.com/moving-on-to-sovereign.html

A few months have passed already since the release of Swords and Sorcery – Underworld’s Definitive Edition. The game was well received by players, as Steam comments suggest, which can only mean one thing. The sequel, Swords and Sorcery – Sovereign has moved to the #1 priority.

A greenlight campaign has been in the works, and the following teaser will be found on top of the page and followed by more details on mechanics. Character stats and magic have evolved. Interaction with NPCs will be somewhat deeper and factions are forming nicely. I am still on the fence about the crafting and combat is, as of now, still pretty much what it was in Underworld.

Dorateen

Arcane
Liked the little narrative bits in the encounters. The ice dungeon should be an interesting location. Outdoor areas and step movement are great, feels like home.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom