Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
7ugfo8b.png

WTF, seriously? Companion subforums? Is this a thing?

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
(Psst, that guy's not actually a Watcher, he's a guy who was trolling them in Twitch chat during the mindx2 vs Hiddenx D:OS 2 match)
It's really hard to tell with the Watch, though. I kept saying they gave their GOTY award to Fallout 3, Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 and then I checked and it was true.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's really hard to tell with the Watch, though. I kept saying they gave their GOTY award to Fallout 3, Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 and then I checked and it was true.
Skyrim has 98% positive score on Steam. So if we take that into online communities, Codex covers that 2% of negative, everyone else falls into 98%. Singling out Watch is kind of unfair when they are just like everyone else.

Weasel
WTF, seriously? Companion subforums? Is this a thing?

Yes, think those have been there for a while. Never checked them out though, even when I spent some time as a drama vulture on those forums I couldn't face going into those. They just look embarrassing.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The Cleric.

The Drunk.

The High INT / Low WIS wizard.

The Mysterious.

The Wise.

The Ranger.

The Halfling Fighter.

The Lord of Darkness.
Credit where credit is due: they don't secretly cut corners, blushing and hoping nobody will notice. They proudly and openly half-ass everything to maximum mediocrity.

getter77

Augur
Came across this nugget at the tail end of the NeoGAF thread for it, not sure exactly where it is sourced from be it some video update or lost in the swamp of the official site. It certainly sounds plausible considering the road up to now:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181136562&postcount=221

Updates
  • They're keeping level scaling for sure.
  • They've added a ton of new placables for DM mode
  • Added devil creatures for DM mode (imps, succubus)
  • Various bug fixes, balances, etc.
  • They changed death somewhat. When the party dies, they still just go back to the beginning of the dungeon. The enemies you killed remain dead, but now the enemies you didn't kill regain full health. Still no hard fail state, and it sounds like that won't change.
  • DMs can change monster health of the fly. This is pretty huge. Anybody who ever has DM'd knows that sometimes the party will come across something that you made too strong and you'll tweak stuff behind the screen. Great fix on their part.
  • Quest rewards are still randomized, but they got rid of trash loot as random. They will not allow DMs to hand pick what gear players get from completing quest.
  • You can't put action text on chests with loot.
  • They will not fix the tile system. What encounters you get will remain fixed to what the randomly generated tile allows you to create.
  • Big one: Do not expect any major changes from how the game feels during this weekend's sneak peek. They will not add in any more features due to the imminent launch. They hope to be able to support and add post launch. There are things not in the head start that are in the final game. But systems are as they will be. Depending on how you look at it, it's either developers promising to support post launch, or developers shipping an incomplete game. Time will tell on that one, I think.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
  • They changed death somewhat. When the party dies, they still just go back to the beginning of the dungeon. The enemies you killed remain dead, but now the enemies you didn't kill regain full health. Still no hard fail state, and it sounds like that won't change.
P. amazing, you can finish the dungeons on auto-pilot.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No illusion of strategic gameplay here. Might as well go full D:OS with encounters.

Weasel
What's funny is that the party resurrection thing comes after so much other cheese. From what I recall (not 100% on all these just what I gathered a while back):

- every class has some sort of healing
- potions appear to be very plentiful, incl resurrection potions which make dead characters bounce back up
- unlimited "stabilisation" (by any class) in the middle of battle which basically resurrects the character
- life stealing weapons everywhere which heal the pc as they damage enemies

I know some of this is technically based on DnD stuff but watching it in action everything is clearly taken to casual extremes. They obviously thought that wasn't enough to keep people alive in the face of fearsome level scaled mobs so the TPK mechanic was a brilliant addition.

Space Insect

Arcane
SCL dev: What even is a bad player?
Assistant dev: Well sir, it's those people who the fighter was made for in Baldur's Ga-
SCL dev: How dare you mention that elitist pice of trash! It did not even have LGBTQAP romances! You are fired!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom