Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones. A Lovecraftian Computer Rpg.

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Scrawled, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Make America Great Again Naelgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    It's just a thought. I'm not claiming I really know anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Space Insectgender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Insect
    Parrots:
    One of my favorites besides the ones already mentioned was probably The Whisperer in the Darkness. The idea of this guy going to a farmhouse and staying with another guy who might be insane or something was genuinely creepy. I liked most of his Dreamland Cycle too, even if they were less horror based.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Beastrogender: ⚧ Magister

Beastro
    Parrots:
    What I find consistently creepy, something mostly done (and ruined) in "found footage" is people going into a remote place and finding shit they shouldn't that evokes a feeling of them being cut of from the rest of the known world in some emotional way.

I know that description could include almost anything to do with horror, but what I have in mind is that sense you get reading and picturing in your mind what your imagination conjures up picturing the event of the Dyatlov Incident, the part that plays on instinct and turns a bunch of people dying of hypotherma into a horror story.

One thing that does the same, and effectively involves not a single human placed at risk, was the Upuaut Project, which was just a tiny RPV going up the shafts in the Gaza Pyramid, seeing things unseen by humans for four thousand years.

Few pictures as an exmaple:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.cheops.org/

I could see this fitting right in with Cthulu Horror.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Imprisoned with the Pharaohs?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. MRYgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Is that the one with Houdini?

Incidentally, since we're talking Turkey, clearly the underground cities in Capadoccia would be the best referent. Rather disturbingly, you can go in without any guide, and for about 10 minutes I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and then I had this sense of intense dread, like when you're (I'm) swimming in a lake and suddenly realize there's no knowing WTF is in there with you. (All the pics I can find on Google are well lit and not at all claustrophobic, but that's not how I remember things.)

--EDIT--

Yeah, found my old pics, either Google lies or illumination has improved in past decade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Beastrogender: ⚧ Magister

Beastro
    Parrots:
    Or when the people you're doing with take off and you realize you're far out, alone...

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    yeah

^ Top  
  8. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    That one was a bit stupid though

^ Top  
  9. tormundgender: ⚧ Arcane

tormund
    Parrots:
    Have you read The Nameless City? It evokes this p well, there is even a part where narrator is crawling down the narrow and seemingly unending subterranean passage.

^ Top  
  10. Beastrogender: ⚧ Magister

Beastro
    Parrots:
    I don't read horror, I find my mind doesn't mesh with it as well as imagery.

^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Naelgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    Interview with Stygian

http://twistedtalesevents.blogspot.com.tr/2016/06/can-oral-interviewed-by-david-mcwilliam.html

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. MRYgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    "Can Oral"? o.O

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Cyberarmygender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Cyberarmy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Welcome to Turkey :D We even use "Oral" as first name...

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Mind you, it's apparently pronounced as "Jan" like in January.

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. xxxCatholicKillahxxxgender: ⚧ Learned

xxxCatholicKillahxxx
    Parrots:

I hope they hold onto this design decision.

• Agree Agree x 7
    ^ Top  
  16. lightbanegender: ⚧ Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    Actually, I would like to remind people that many protagonists in Lovecraftian stories DO win, even if it's a minor victory or doesn't accomplish much. Granted, in Stygian's setting it's unlikely we'll get something like a happy ending, but there should be something that the characters can accomplish, even if it causes the entire world to be destroyed except a part of New England and little else.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again Taka-Haradin puolipeikkogender: ⚧ Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
    Character accepting Old Ones as his lords and saviors might be the happy ending.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Space Insectgender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Insect
    Parrots:
    http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=135
    Scroll down to the tract.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    The theology in that tract is all wrong. For one thing, it's the Old Ones who are going to rise, not the Elder Gods. smh

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Space Insectgender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Insect
    Parrots:
    It's not like humans would understand the deeper theology of the Old Ones and the Elder Gods after reading the Necronomicon. They'd be too insane by that point.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. screeggender: ⚧ Iron Tower Studio Developer

screeg
    Parrots:
    *Massachusetts.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Naelgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    **New England I think is what he meant.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Scrawledgender: ⚧ Cultic Games Developer

Scrawled
    Parrots:
    Greetings Fellow Acolytes of the Sunken Lord!

Let's start our update with highlights of an in-depth interview by David McWilliam of the Twisted Tales blog with Stygian's creative director Can Oral.

[​IMG]

DM: Are there CRPGs that you particularly admire and take inspiration from? Or do you draw more from the imaginative worlds created for pen and paper RPGs?

CO: I can say that we draw from both worlds. At the CRPG side, we have been analyzing titles of the early 90s like Dark Sun and Ultima Martian Dreams to the more contemporary CRPGs like Pillars of Eternity and Shadowrun. We aim to create a unique experience with Stygian but we are very interested in how other teams crafted their worlds, created a sense of progress, approached their systems, etc.

I believe if you know where to look and have some patience, you can unearth incredible mechanics, approaches, and solutions from the history of CRPGs. On the other hand; tabletop role-playing, with its endless variety and freedom, is also an equally productive exploration field for Team Cultic. I can easily name settings like Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun, WoD, Nephilim, Call of Cthulhu, and such among my pen and paper inspirations for Stygian.

DM: This is a very unusual take on post-apocalyptic settings and reminds me somewhat of Curst in Carceri from Planescape: Torment. However, it feels as though there is more of a sense of slow-burning dread than a frenetic fight to save the town. How have you approached pacing in Stygian?

CO: A very true observation. Stygian's human characters have already accepted their doom. The surviving folk in Arkham lost any hope of seeing the sunlight or their loved ones again long ago. Most of them also lost their minds while trying to face this unbearable truth. Others struggle to hold on to their miserable existences by going to the extremes, whether in belief, in pleasure, or in power... The pacing of Stygian will come from the player character's urgent need to reach the mysterious Dismal Man before losing his tracks forever.

DM: Stygian is described as a game of horror, madness, and loss. How do you explore these themes while allowing the player to make progress?

CO: We like to emphasize that Stygian is not about winning, but about “enduring” in terms of progression. From the beginning, we wanted our players to feel the sense of progression in continuing the journey somehow, rather than owning the game's meta. If you are alive, not completely insane, and still going, that is progress in Stygian. I believe there is a survivalist (and maybe a bit masochistic) satisfaction in that kind of design and balancing approach.

You can read the rest of the interview here.

On PayPal and Slacker backers

[​IMG]

We have heard your calls brother acolytes and have taken the necessary steps to work alongside with HumbleBundle to make Stygian available for pre-orders through our website. You'll also be able to donate to Stygian via PayPal with this system. We'll share more on this matter soon.

Project Delegation

As most of you know Cultic Games is an Istanbul based development studio. In order to start our Kickstarter campaign we've chosen a team member who is residing in a Kickstarter approven country (Germany in our case) for project ownership.

Due to legal reasons, our current project owner Ata Bugra Ucertas is delegating the project ownership to another Germany residing team member Senem Gokce Ogultekin who is aiding Team Cultic with the musical compositions of Stygian.

Thanks for your efforts Ata!

A big applause to Gokce!

See you in the next update!

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • incline incline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    I hope Scrawled and the rest of Cultic are OK. Drop a line here when you're able?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Taka-Haradin puolipeikkogender: ⚧ Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
    • Salute Salute x 10
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)