Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Perkel, Aug 6, 2015.

1. krisgender: ⚧ Arcane

kris
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    England/GB done that many times, although some people claim they are using an exploit. (some also claim that about the Russians)

^ Top  
  2. RhodokMasterRaceOfficialgender: ⚧ Savant

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Parrots:
    geography OP please nerf

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    They got lucky spawn

^ Top  
  4. MadMaxHellfiregender: ⚧ Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    i'd solve the issue with starbases by making them satellites with huuuuuuuuuuge defenses and which shoot back. this way sieges are costly but are necessary because otherwise troop ships would be slaughtered and a ground defenses based defense could prove to be viable. this could also open the doors to repair ships and bomber ships, both not very versed to the actual fighting so specialized fleets could be intercepted and shot down, dealing a huge blow to even much stronger but less cunning empires.
    all this is within actual rules, it could be done right now as a mod.

^ Top  
  5. RhodokMasterRaceOfficialgender: ⚧ Savant

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Parrots:
    then make it

^ Top  
  6. MadMaxHellfiregender: ⚧ Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    "could", not "i can".
    you know, the man can land on the moon, so now YOU have to do it. YOU, just YOU, because it could be done.

fuck off dude.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    I solved all the issues of Stellaris by stopped playing it a few days after release.The game have a shitty core and no amount of patches and dlcs will fix it.After all the lead dev is a fucking faggot that got where he is by screwing people and sucking the CIO's dick.Lol now that i think about it that covers half the paradox staff.

• Funny x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Edgy x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Lambchop19gender: ⚧ Arcane

Lambchop19
    Parrots:
    waits patiently for modders to fix all the things Paradox messed up with their "patches" and "expansions" again.

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    Exploits for Stellaris are in high supply and low demand, so I doubt they'll be worth much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    Huge static defenses would not solve doomstack problem for Stellaris. Yes, your home system could be safe but enemy doomstack can raze your colonies as he pleases. in the end every wat will become wars of attrition.

^ Top  
  11. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarnegender: ⚧ for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Not even that I'd argue, since usually mineral reserves won't cover constant new fleets, but more importantly the war of attrition is only possible if the two sides are roughly equal. Which probably isn't the case.

^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    Yeah, losing most of your fleet is basically an auto-lose for any war, excepting major AI stupidity at conquering. To actually come back you need to be like the USA vs. Japan in WW2: You so heavily outclass the enemy that you can outproduce their decades of fleet investment in a few months.

^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Lambchop19gender: ⚧ Arcane

Lambchop19
    Parrots:
    not so impossible when the AI hovers over one of your worlds for months while waiting for transport fleets. the main issue is when you are completely outnumbered by multiple enemies, or one far more advanced enemy.

^ Top  
  14. traisgender: ⚧ Arcane

trais
    Parrots:
    The problem with Stellaris' combat is that there's not only no penalty for doomstacking all your ships into one big blob, but that it's actually the best strategy you can do. You need a doomstack to beat enemy's doomstack and it's also the best way to minimize loses when attacking spacestations and spaceports. Heck, it's even counter-productive to try even the most basic maneuvers like splitting your fleet in half and flanking the enemy, because actual battle is one giant clusterfuck of ships circling each other in melee range without any tactics whatsoever.

Basically, whole combat needs to be redesigned from a scratch, no amount of fiddling with this or that will ever fix it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. whatevernamegender: ⚧ Erudite

whatevername
    Parrots:
    Engaging in black market brofist activity is dangerous in itself, you never know when some Curious rat will rat you out. Hence the high price tag.
    While these exploits took me like 5 minutes to come up with, why re-invent the wheel when you can simply pay with brofists?

^ Top  
  16. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Seems like the border system will change in the near future too?? Apparently we're gonna see some important changes with the next DlC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• incline incline x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jason Lianggender: ⚧ Liturgist

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    You guys realize that Stellaris' ship-to-ship combat system is based directly on Europa Universalis' ship-to-ship combat system right?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Grifgender: ⚧ Learned

Grif
    Parrots:
    Been awhile since I played this. Has it gotten better yet? (Last played in patch 1.6, which is the Utopia patch I believe. Was disappointed.)

^ Top  
  19. SmartCheetahgender: ⚧ Savant

SmartCheetah
    Parrots:
    Not really Grif
    Combat still sucks ass, and it's a major flaw in my opinion. There is no tactics involved whatsoever. You basicly spam ships and send them to fight, usually having two big stacks because AI would avoid you and try to go for undefended planets (while you obliterate their systems)
    Events are repeatable to the point where I can already tell when Space Piracy will start, what can I expect in the beggining etc. + most of the "situation log events" (eg. collecting little aliens, checking out planets to see what could happen to your species) are giving you +X minerals/Energy, +X research points in specific fields. Those rewards seems to be seriously underwhelming. I remember a random event in GalCiv II where - because of my choices - I was given an ancient ship which increased my relative power level to 700% and all other factions were basicly inferior to me. THAT was a total gamechanger, and I would love to see such events in every 4x game. Unfortunately, only thing that matter in Stellaris are few big events (where most of the outcomes give you flat bonuses anyway) and end game crises (which, at this point - you can ignore or obliterate with your fleets.)

I'd wait for 2-3 more DLC's and big patches before trying it again.

^ Top  
  20. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Better wait a decade before the game becomes playable.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Grifgender: ⚧ Learned

Grif
    Parrots:
    Sadly, I'm really coming around to this thinking.

Disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. I had expected that they at least try to fix combat, but Paradox being Paradox, it'll take years before they even touch it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:

• Creative x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Grotesquegender: ⚧ Arcane

Grotesque
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    Centralized shipyands, better than current systems

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. whatevernamegender: ⚧ Erudite

whatevername
    Parrots:
    I tried 1.8 and it seems like they improved the AI?
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)