Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

Just finished X18. Had a very creepy vibe and several new enemies. Killed 3 burers, 2 snorks, a pyrogeist, and a pseudogiant. Saiga-12 to the face sorted them all without too much trouble, with a grenade or two helping the giant along. Killed a few soldiers on the way out and then emerged at one in the morning to a helicopter full of troops.

The audio is key to the atmosphere in this game, it's very well done. Maybe it could be mixed a little better sometimes but the sounds are very good. The music is great too.

Did some mutants get created in X18? There seemed to be some non-human things in chambers in the room with the documents.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeh, it's heavily implied that the poltergeists were the result of genetic engineering and research in psy-tech.
If you look at a poltergeist and at those things in the jars, you'd notice similarities.

What should I assault the Brain Scorcher with? I'm planning in running in with a USP compact, a Tactical Sig 550 with scope and nade launcher, Skat armor, some medical supplies and as much ammo as I can carry.
Still playing AA 2.1.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Does AA 2.1 have known bugs that I should keep a look for ?

Im continuing my playthrough now, and heard of some game-breaking bugs.

Nothing fatal that I've noticed, but I did notice some oddities -

NPCs appear to be immune to blowouts. They will run to cover in Cordon though

Mutant corpses will disappear and re-appear when you get close

There's an invisible bed in the Bar

There appears to be a strange graphical glitch where the sky line is faintly visible on your screen, even indoors. This only appears sometimes though.

Artifacts get stuck in the ground at Agoprom.

I seen some of those as well. I have seen stalkers hiding in the hangar during a blowout though. Blowouts are pretty spectacular btw, and the weather effects are good too.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Only major bug in AA is that you shouldn't cluster your pda with too many tasks at once. It can make the game crash.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, that's probably why creators implemented teleporting tool into the game.
Otherwise you accept as many quest as possible, go ouside, and spare time on running.

Yesterday I found that village defence in Kordon is impossible, due the outstanding accuracy of mercenaries. Both me and stalkers are eradicated. Damn.
On the other hand - stalkers are capable to fight against animals and zombies, compared to other mods, where they act like babies and only our ass is kicked hard.

Clipping is also a problem. Some artifacts can be picked by keep pressing F, then 6 for detector and grab it when it jump. And there're passages to other locations. I failed quest for Sidorovich after reaching Kordon cause the "point" (that should be near exit from Dark Valley) was placed behind. LEL. Or go from Agroprom to Yantar, passage is placed above and you need to jump nearby.

I liked AI. It can kick you but not feel to cheat. I managed to grab my loot from parking in Kordon (near passage to Dark Valley), and could actually sneak past everyone when night comes.

Plus there're quest to take down stalkers near other stalkers. In other mods everyone go postal. Here? It worked. Only Vampire got one freind that attacked me.

Plus I found good shotgun. Gen. Voronin gave me job, and that guy got nice accurate Spas that shred living thing. Aw jiyss.
Where I can find other crystals? Cause I want to take Radar.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, that's probably why creators implemented teleporting tool into the game.
Otherwise you accept as many quest as possible, go ouside, and spare time on running.

Yesterday I found that village defence in Kordon is impossible, due the outstanding accuracy of mercenaries. Both me and stalkers are eradicated. Damn.
On the other hand - stalkers are capable to fight against animals and zombies, compared to other mods, where they act like babies and only our ass is kicked hard.

Clipping is also a problem. Some artifacts can be picked by keep pressing F, then 6 for detector and grab it when it jump. And there're passages to other locations. I failed quest for Sidorovich after reaching Kordon cause the "point" (that should be near exit from Dark Valley) was placed behind. LEL. Or go from Agroprom to Yantar, passage is placed above and you need to jump nearby.

I liked AI. It can kick you but not feel to cheat. I managed to grab my loot from parking in Kordon (near passage to Dark Valley), and could actually sneak past everyone when night comes.

Plus there're quest to take down stalkers near other stalkers. In other mods everyone go postal. Here? It worked. Only Vampire got one freind that attacked me.

Plus I found good shotgun. Gen. Voronin gave me job, and that guy got nice accurate Spas that shred living thing. Aw jiyss.
Where I can find other crystals? Cause I want to take Radar.

Get a very good rad suit (Ecologist or Seva, anything with 90% protection is needed) and a couple of radiation reducing artifacts, and go stand on top of one of those hills in Garbage. Tons of jellyfish and stone flowers of there.
There are also quite a few artifacts in Agoprom underground.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I was there with Veles detector and found all things. Not sure if there's 4th or more new detectors. Whatever. Wish me luck in the radar.

Grenades are your friends :) I found that mission easy, no one died.

Buuut, I used grenades and it instantly fail mission. The hell...

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Grenades are your friends :) I found that mission easy, no one died.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I think the weapons change according to class, as happen with the tools too (at least the calibration ones are confirmed).

About the crashes, what your log file says ? I know the last version of Armed Zone (1.7) was released with a bunch of CTD inducing files. There is a hotfix that supposedly correct it though.

By the way, do you ever acquire the Sunrise suit anymore ? I was looking at the stats of it and the Heavy Overcoat and the latter seems better at most things (including anomaly protection) besides being lighter and slightly cheaper. Is there a reason someone would get the Sunrise ? (perhaps its upgrade path is better ?)

The crash is always caused by the same thing.

xrEngine.exe caused BREAKPOINT in module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stalker Call of Pripyat\bin\xrCore.dll" at 0023:0075E12E, xrDebug::backend()+174 byte(s)

As for the Sunrise I always take it out of force of habit. It has a good upgrade path for extended rad protection which is all pervasive in Misery. I haven't used the Heavy overcoat at all. But I will give it a try if these random crashes ever stop.

EDIT: Switching classes to the Recon has stopped all crashes altogether. There is just something about Misery and the armed zone that hates the Sniper class.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
As for the Sunrise I always take it out of force of habit. It has a good upgrade path for extended rad protection which is all pervasive in Misery. I haven't used the Heavy overcoat at all. But I will give it a try if these random crashes ever stop.

EDIT: Switching classes to the Recon has stopped all crashes altogether. There is just something about Misery and the armed zone that hates the Sniper class.
Good luck playing a Recon in M2. Its the most broken unfair of the classes. He is supposedly the expert artifact hunter, but the paraphernalia for this is heavy as shit an will nullify your mobility. He is also supposed the expert sneaker, but most enemies have cats eyes in the dark and spot you from a mile away. (I recommend a tweak from Les Miserables that halves all artifacts and conteiners weights, and reduce NPCs detection capailities. This made it playable for the Recon.)

About the Sunrise, I just checked its upgrade path and found it identical to the Heavy Coat. It means its nonsense to acquire it now, as the Heavy Coat is better, lighter and cheaper. Go figure. The iconic stalker suit gets sidelined by a crude-lookin hobo coat. Modz gonna modz.

Last edited:
Heading through Garbage on my way to the bar. Emission starts while I'm in the car graveyard. The stalkers start running into the garbage piles. Bad idea. All 5/6 of them run straight into an anomaly, are lifted into the air and simultaneously annihilated. I take some anti-rad meds and head for the hangar. One of the ghost mutants is at the gate so take it out, not seeing the stalker crouched behind it. I accidentally kill him and get gunned down by about 8 stalkers taking cover in the hangar
:negative:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Heading through Garbage on my way to the bar. Emission starts while I'm in the car graveyard. The stalkers start running into the garbage piles. Bad idea. All 5/6 of them run straight into an anomaly, are lifted into the air and simultaneously annihilated. I take some anti-rad meds and head for the hangar. One of the ghost mutants is at the gate so take it out, not seeing the stalker crouched behind it. I accidentally kill him and get gunned down by about 8 stalkers taking cover in the hangar
:negative:

Yeah, the ghosts are harmless. Don't waste ammo.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How class switch work in Misery2? It's one of the requirement to play Les Mserables and Armed Zone in the same time.
It's just starting new game or replacing files in gamedata?

Ghosts? I remember there was mod that introduce feature, where ghost jump at you few times and you turn into zombie. You could talk with other zombies which was pretty :lol:

Silva

Arcane
The option for switching classes in M2 is on the title menu. I think its "Enter the Zone" > "New Class" or something. When you pick the new one, the game will reset and voila.

Dont know if Armed Zone works with Les Miserable though. If it dont work, I recommend gettting Les anyway just to copy its tweaks from creatures folder alone (which nerf NPCs pinpoint acc and cats eyes). Im using Armed Zone right now and its pretty cool. (though that other gun mod you suggested couple pages ago... Shoker ? is still better. That baby is the cream of the crop of gun mods)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There is way to make them both working, jus one last requirement (switch classes 2-3 times) was not that clear.

Instal STALKER vanilla
Instal Misery
Instal Les miserables(read its readme carefully)
Instal Armed zone, overwrite everything
Then search that thread for the file you need and the line you need to delete. It should work without crashes more or less. Some miserables features will no doubt be lost, but other than that its playable.

Also you need to change your class once or twice and only then change back to your preferred class when you start New game. ANd you absolutely must start new game.

Plus some optional steps in case of issues.

Go to "configs/weapons" and open w_desert_eagle.ltx, search for " [wpn_desert_eagle_custom] ", go to "installed_upgrades" and remove the whole line, save and take the shot, this should do something I guess.

Here's another quick solution, try to install any file named "upgrade" from Les misérables.

The deagle is the custom version, maybe it need its installed upgrades to be removed, try this :
Go to "configs/weapons" and open w_desert_eagle.ltx, search for " [wpn_desert_eagle_custom] ",
go to "installed_upgrades" and remove the whole line, save and take the shot, this should do
something I guess.

Brb gonna reinstall them all.

Ah, and speaking abou Les Miserables... the creator of this addon/fix goes full "fuck this shit" and abandoned this project, cause Misery 2+ is so unbalanced and bad even modder gave up. :lol:

Silva

Arcane
Thanks for the tips, MotherMachinae , Ill have a look at those. Playing default M2 is frustrating.

And I agree with the guy about the M2 mod. These days I was trying to give feedback on their site but it seems the devs are too convinced this Beta is a final release to take any measures to correct it. Its really sad, as Im a big fan of the mod since M1 and found those M2 "sim" subsystems ideas pretty cool (animal butchering, cooking, weapons maintenance, arty containers, using meds, etc) but the mods "artificial difficulty" just ruins it all IMO. I wish they at least offered an alternative mode of play where the difficulty was dialed back for those who wanted it. My style of play (just save game at bases) is utterly impossible otherwise.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Good luck playing a Recon in M2. Its the most broken unfair of the classes. He is supposedly the expert artifact hunter, but the paraphernalia for this is heavy as shit an will nullify your mobility. He is also supposed the expert sneaker, but most enemies have cats eyes in the dark and spot you from a mile away. (I recommend a tweak from Les Miserables that halves all artifacts and conteiners weights, and reduce NPCs detection capailities. This made it playable for the Recon.)

About the Sunrise, I just checked its upgrade path and found it identical to the Heavy Coat. It means its nonsense to acquire it now, as the Heavy Coat is better, lighter and cheaper. Go figure. The iconic stalker suit gets sidelined by a crude-lookin hobo coat. Modz gonna modz.

So far Recon has been quite good.Especially after all of the crashes I suffered with the Sniper class. I managed to get a UMP-45 custom early during beards mission and mopped up the mercenaries encampment without much of an issue.

As for the heavy coat the only difference I can tell between it and the Sunrise is that it has higher general protection but lower armor ratings for the arms and other body areas. But since this is misery and one shot kills are a thing I have no idea if all this jargon means anything.

These Les Mserables tweaks also look nice. They will work with M2.1.1 and without a restart?

Silva

Arcane
Playing more Misery 2, I had such an awesome idea I cant believe myself. You know what would be cool on CoP ? A tweak that:

1) disables save-game functionality except on bases and campfires.

2) makes so youre rescued by friendlies when you die in certain circumstances (with part of loot/money gone and health fucked).

By enabling these changes, you would get rid of the extreme reload-reliance the game has right now which is the main detractor for its intended experience, and jump from this scenario..

"Hey is that a snork ? Oh he just saw me... well lemme take care of.... damn, lemme reload [repeat until success]"

..to this one..

"Hey is that a snork ? AND HE JUST SAW ME! DAMN, MY LAST SAVE IS WAY BEHIND ! HEEEEEELLP!!!! (while running away)"

But for the second scenario to work, Misery 2 should have its difficulty dialed back a few notches, so lethality is also a matter of attriction ("I got a nice loot until here.. should I keep going or go back to safety?!) and not only luck for meeting some impossible-to-kill-nor-runaway mutant on the way.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Does anyone else have really weak night vision in AA2? Even the Gen 2 doesn't work right, as I still need to use a flashlight to see anything at night.

Also, I am getting a really infuriating CTD -

XR_3DA.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\xrGame.dll" at 0023:08AFD987

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom