Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Slay the Spire is a pretty cool game

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by J1M, Aug 13, 2018 at 7:14 AM.

1. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Has the feel of Dominion deck building and a Hearthstone dungeon run.

[​IMG]
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/646570/Slay_the_Spire/

Currently offers 3 classes that are vastly different. It also appears at least 2 strategies are viable for each class, although randomness in terms of rewards will force you to adapt as you face progressively more dangerous encounters.

It does one thing really well: it shows you the consequences of your decisions, so you can make meaningful ones. For example, if presented with a choice in a random encounter it will tell you what will happen for each choice so you can make an informed decision to take that curse card for that relic bonus. It will also telegraph what enemies are going to do on their next turn, which leads to playing different cards depending on what your opponents are about to do.

The game is in early access right now, but the standard mode seems 'done', and there is a daily challenge/free play mode.

It would be really great if they took this core and wrapped it in a campaign of some sort where a 'spire' was basically a dungeon, which unlocked better cards, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DakaSha V Scholar

DakaSha V
    Parrots:
    Is this really the first thread on this very well known, successful game that entered EA 0.74794520547 years ago?

^ Top  
  3. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    Parrots:
    No.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DakaSha V Scholar

DakaSha V
    Parrots:
    o

^ Top  
  5. Tiospo Literate

Tiospo
    Parrots:
    It’s a great game. As much as Monster Slayers sucked up my time, I think Slay the Spire is a better game.

^ Top  
  6. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Parrots:
    If there's another, its name outsmarted the search tool.

^ Top  
  7. DakaSha V Scholar

DakaSha V
    Parrots:
    Im genuinely surprised it hasnt been talked about more. Its not like its obscure or anything, and it should appeal to a decently large chunk of the codex.

^ Top  
  8. Projas Information Superhighwayman Patron

Projas
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Game's alright, but gets pretty repetitive after few playthroughs. Needs a lot more cards, artifacts, enemy types and other stuff that would make individual runs more unique.
    I think it has only been talked about in some thread about card games in general.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)