Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I looked at the topic list on that forum, and it terrifies me.

Back when @sgc_meltdown still posted, it was a frequent source of deranged lulz in the Best Thread Ever.
*sigh* I miss him :(

I actually really want to try some of these mods, but unfortunately doing so requires that I have a copy of Skyrim.
As far as I'm concerned, Bethesda can suck a bag of diseased dicks.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
lolwat? You become a spriggan if you get raped by one?

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/9432-sanguines-debauchery/
The mod says you are enslaved and have to do a task for it to be freed.
I looked at the topic list on that forum, and it terrifies me.

Your post convinced me to check it out, and you're right. I avoided the FUTA, bestiality and incest threads. But I did find this piece of cheese:

pCY6KHt.jpg

:troll:

Caim

Arcane
Oh lawdy, is dat sum one piece?

No seriously, I don't know because I don't watch the anime but I seem to recognize the hat.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I'm going to address the original topic:

I do believe Skyrim is inferior to Oblivion. I'm debating writing a review as I've been itching to do so for awhile.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I do believe Skyrim is inferior to Oblivion. I'm debating writing a review as I've been itching to do so for awhile.

I'll do it for you:

Number of skills in Daggerfall (35) > Morrowind (27) > Oblivion (21) > Skyrim (18) because we ain't smart enough for hard decisions 'round here.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

I'll do it for you:

Number of skills in Daggerfall (35) > Morrowind (27) > Oblivion (21) > Skyrim (18) because we ain't smart enough for hard decisions 'round here.

No, it's much worse than that.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If I do that
I might not come back
the same person.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

And yet the perk system and the limited number of them you can get make you define your character's role more than in any TES game before it.

RK47

Patron
I can think of a lack of spellmaker. And vanilla mage not having a lot of options for damage. Worse at later levels too with the scaled enemy mage bringing in more hurt.
Otherwise, I can't imagine why Oblivion is better.

Crevice tab

Savant

And yet the perk system and the limited number of them you can get make you define your character's role more than in any TES game before it.

But Skyrim doesn't have attributes (or rather the health-magick-stamina stuff are attributes now) unlike the older games when you had 8 attributes. Also many of Skyrim's perks are redundant stuff that could and should have been merged into skills.

RK47

Patron
and those alone is enough to make oblivion better?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Daggerfall(35) - language skills = 26

Though granted Orcish and Daedric could possibly be useful.

Your post convinced me to check it out, and you're right. I avoided the FUTA, bestiality and incest threads. But I did find this piece of cheese:

pCY6KHt.jpg

:troll:
Chanbara-Beauty-Aka-Oneechanbara-The-Movie-Aka-One-Chanbara-2008-Dutch-Front-Cover-17829.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But Skyrim doesn't have attributes (or rather the health-magick-stamina stuff are attributes now) unlike the older games when you had 8 attributes. Also many of Skyrim's perks are redundant stuff that could and should have been merged into skills.

I don't want to get really deep into a mechanics comparison or discussion. All I am saying is becoming the master of everything was easy and even expected in the previous games, while in Skyrim it is literally impossible, even if you're insane and level to 80 or whatever.

baturinsky

Arcane

In TES 3-4 you don't make hard decisions about your build after you leave character creation skill. You can max all the skills and stats you want (with some insignificiant exceptions)

Skyrim was first TES game that introduced hard build decisions (not during character creation) in form of perks.

Gord

Arcane
While I agree that less skills and removal of attributes generally suck, the perks are a nice addition to the system that for once brings a little more depth to it.

The real problem however is not the removal of skills and attributes, it's the missing reactivity of the gameworld towards your character.

Morrowind had more faction dynamics and esp. hard requirements that somewhat effectively prevented the "do everything with the same char" effect.
But removing those restrictions has been a conscious design decision by Bethesda.
They want to cater to the crowd of completionists, casuals and 15yo with fantasies of power that demand to be able to join every guild/faction without consequences. It's a wonder they even had the balls to make stormcloaks and imperials mutually exclusive (and I'm sure that caused quite some butthurt with some fans).

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All I am saying is becoming the master of everything was easy and even expected in the previous games, while in Skyrim it is literally impossible, even if you're insane and level to 80 or whatever.
While Skyrim's perk system is indeed a step in the right direction, you can definitely become a master of all in Skyrim and it's hard not to, since you're probably gonna put points in powerful perks when you get the chance.

Sure, you probably won't be able to use AoE Two-Handed attacks, pickpocket equipped armor, enchant two effects, smith dragonscale gear, enter slow motion with a bow and deal sneak attacks in the middle of fights all on the same character. But by leveling the skills and picking the right perks you can easily master using spells, dealing and surviving damage and sneaking around. Simply choose perks in Smithing/Alchemy/Enchanting and you're good to go. Only if you waste perks in Lockpicking or Heavy Armor can you somewhat avoid becoming jack of all trades, master of all.

baturinsky

Arcane
I personally think that replacing 4 attributes and 3 skills with 50+ perks made character building more complex and interesting, but hurt enchanting and spells. Manipulating own and other's attributes was a big part of gameplay in previous parts.

Crevice tab

Savant
I personally think that replacing 4 attributes and 3 skills with 50+ perks made character building more complex and interesting, but hurt enchanting and spells. Manipulating own and other's attributes was a big part of gameplay in previous parts.

Not really. They could have made spell crafting but they wanted each spell to have its own unique animation. Perks are a pretty good idea- the problem is that instead of 50 distinct perks we have 5 perks repeated 10 times and that many perks do what skills should have done. Overall the Skyrim system may be better than Oblivion's but it still is stupidly fucked up for no apparent reason.

Also neither Skyrim nor Oblivion react in any meaningful way to you having higher skills or more perks. Why?:rage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom