Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Wolfenswan

Novice
Managed to break the game by throwing a red marble at the Endboss in the 3rd stage of the encounter. Given I'd have to do the whole fight all over I'm very tempted to just call it a win. Story-wise it's prob. a better ending than what the game had in store for me anyway.

Crichton

Prophet
Managed to break the game by throwing a red marble at the Endboss in the 3rd stage of the encounter. Given I'd have to do the whole fight all over I'm very tempted to just call it a win. Story-wise it's prob. a better ending than what the game had in store for me anyway.

Yeah, I get the impression that there wasn't much dev time devoted to testing.

In the run where you get double-crossed by your elven client, and you have to choose between sticking with the job, fighting the client or fighting the client and his enemies, if you choose to side with the elf but then kill him with AOE spells/grenades during the battle, when the enemy leader falls, you'll get a quest to talk to the elf and you can't leave the island until you do; so you're basically S.O.L.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
you can create and import custom 2d background art, icons and portraits. there's no way to use new 3d meshes. dunno about textures, but i guess that one can overwrite the vanilla ones.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What happens if you try to play Dead Man's Switch or Dragonfall in the Hong Kong engine? IIRC you could copy DMS's files into the Dragonfall DC directory and it would work, with only minor animation glitches at one point.

DramaticPopcorn

What happens if you try to play Dead Man's Switch or Dragonfall in the Hong Kong engine? IIRC you could copy DMS's files into the Dragonfall DC directory and it would work, with only minor animation glitches at one point.
You die of boredom

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Somebody actually "made" Dragonfall for Hong Kong in nexus (http://www.nexusmods.com/shadowrunhongkong/mods/6/?). There are problems especially regarding the new things (items, troll models, no dog in hong kong, some spells). There should be no AI problem because the Gumbo AIs from Dragonfall are presumably used in Hong Kong as well.

As for DMS the same problems such as Dragonfall should appear as well. And the AI would be stupid because of the lack Gumbo AI in DMS (the same problem when people try to play DMS in DFDC).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1356490

What We’ve Been Up to Since Launch!

It’s hard to believe an entire month has gone by since the launch of Shadowrun: Hong Kong. It has been quite a whirlwind and we didn’t want too much time to go by before we let you know what we’ve been up to.

Shadows of Hong Kong Mini-Campaign
The Shadowrun writing, design, and art teams are moving full speed ahead on the upcomingShadowrun: Hong Kong mini-campaign. Set in the weeks following the events of SR:HK, the mini-campaign will give you - and your team - the opportunity to turn the tables on the corrupt cops who once hunted you. Through layers of corporate greed and urban strife, you will contend with powerful enemies, uncover a deadly conspiracy, and cement your reputation as a Prime Runner... assuming that you survive, of course. The SR:HK mini-campaign is due to launch early in 2016, and will be free to all Kickstarter backers at the $15 level and up.

A New HBS Shadowrun Series Wiki!
For our UGC creators (or wanna-be UGC creators!), alongside the release of the game, we also launched a new Wiki! You'll be able to find information covering all three Shadowrun games, the Level Editor, and User Generated Content (UGC). The core game sections have information regarding the missions you'll run, the NPC's you'll meet, items that can be acquired, and much more. (Beware of spoilers if you haven't finished your first play through!)

The Wiki also includes tutorials and information about the Shadowrun Level Editor. While we've covered the basics, the more interesting tutorials have always come from community members trying things that we never imagined! If you’re interested in trying to create your own mission, this is a great place to start.

Digital Rewards
In addition to the mini-campaign, we’re also working to make sure the remaining digital rewards are delivered on time. Mel Odom is making good progress on the eNovel and our friends at Catalyst Game Labs are working on both the Panorama Poster and the Sourcebook. In the meantime, we’re pulling together the Audio Commentary, Digital Map and the annotated version of Into the Shadows. We’ll let you know when they’re available in your BackerKit account so you can download them.

Physical Rewards
We’re also happy to report that the Messenger Bags and SR:HK Figures are on a ship making their way to our fulfillment house. We anticipate they will arrive toward the end of October and then we’ll begin to ship them out. If all goes well, everyone should have their bags and figures by the middle-to-end of December.

In preparation for this, we’ll be sending out an email from BackerKit soon so you can confirm your shipping address. After you receive it, you’ll have 48 hours to confirm or make changes before we lock down that information so please don’t delay in responding.

If you are an International Backer, we will be charging your shipping fee to your BackerKit account. If BackerKit already has payment information on file, you will be automatically charged. If you do not, we will follow up with an email soon telling you when and how to add that information to your account.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Finished it. Forced myself to do it really, cause it wasn't a memorable experience.

It certainly retains all the things that made Dragonfall good, but it doesn't renew itself enough compared to the previous game. Also, the story seems less interesting somehow. I've never really bought into the characters or their backgrounds/motivations. The revamped Matrix is actually more bothersome than the previous version, which is really an achievement.

Hope the expansion -if there's one- revigorates the overall experience, like DF did.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I feel like the short development time hurt the game. I did enjoy it and all, but had they had some more time, I think the game would have benefited from that. I felt this way prior to the release.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Their launching the Battletech KS on 9/29/15 @10:00 PDT according to the update. With the Codex fundraiser just ending not sure how much I'll be able to put in this one. It also greatly depends on if a box copy will be made this time. I went with the $30 tier last time because of no boxed copy compared to the $125+ on SRR.

Septaryeth

Augur
Their launching the Battletech KS on 9/29/15 @10:00 PDT according to the update. With the Codex fundraiser just ending not sure how much I'll be able to put in this one. It also greatly depends on if a box copy will be made this time. I went with the $30 tier last time because of no boxed copy compared to the $125+ on SRR.

With or without the Codex fundraiser, the future looks dire for HBS.
They kind of screwed up SRHK and are losing their core audience, fast. With less and less sales each title has, it's possible they fail the kickstarter as well.

It's odd looking back how much hype they managed to gather after SRDF.
We all thought HBS had a good control over the whole SRHK crowds, with them outright saying anymore extra funds will be donated as bagels for their hardworking employee.
And now people are suspecting they ran out of time. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Daily reminder that Codex threads aren't anybody's core audience

Last edited:

gestalt11

Arbiter
I finished the game, felt it was worth the money, and found most of the criticism in this thread assinine and/or poinltess.

DramaticPopcorn

With or without the Codex fundraiser, the future looks dire for HBS.
They kind of screwed up SRHK and are losing their core audience, fast. With less and less sales each title has, it's possible they fail the kickstarter as well.

It's odd looking back how much hype they managed to gather after SRDF.
We all thought HBS had a good control over the whole SRHK crowds, with them outright saying anymore extra funds will be donated as bagels for their hardworking employee.
And now people are suspecting they ran out of time. :M
aZGonrl.png

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Hmmm I thought HK was better than DF, I even liked the companions more. Personal preferences obviously but I didn't like anyone exceot the ork in DF. The dwarf decker is kinda annoying in HK but she gets better with time when you realize neither her or the rat shaman are idealistic little kids. Certainly both were a huge step up from Blitz.

Only sad thing is game overall felt easier. Basically they gave your team more options but the AI remains as shitty as ever. The main plot was pretty meh, side missions were better paced with better encounters than DF.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Okay so I finally finished it. Don't have much time to play so it took me ages (I started it right when it came out). I finished pretty much everything except maybe 1-2 side quest (Raichu and the other dude ork quest).

I personally think it's the weakest of the three. My reasoning is thus :
- DF is the best overall experience for me, C&C (and there is not much in SR lets be honest), combat, etc. etc.
- The first one was weak, but it was a happy throwback, had nice ideas, was ''fresh'', etc. which SRHK doesn't have
- There is a lot of bad points regarding HK : new matrix, filler text, poor mapping, filler text, easy fights, filler text, weak mainquest sometimes, filler text, having to deal with Auntie instead of being a free shadowrunner, filler text, etc.

Overall it felt a damn chore to finish. Last time I had to ''chore'' the ending of a game, it was PoE. I didn't had that feeling with the first two ones.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
This is good.
By free I only meant ''stop doing her chore''. It's okay to have a broker : it's part of the SR universe. But I would have liked to just do cool missions for the kick of it, building up my own reputation and stuff. The side missions only felt like ''here, do those 5 filler mission before we can shovel down your throat a demon thing ending''. I like the corporate part more than the fantasy one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom