Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
B8D58CB28F9017F336963CF871FE2497C4896B79

spooky place

Blonsky

Prophet
The Silver Case

So its a remake of a japanese playstation 1, visual novel/adventure game from 1999, with new graphics, music and english translated.
gry7AE9.jpg

The story follows different characters(detective, newbie cop, reporter) involved in the cases of Henious Crime Unit in some weird city.
i3SszNk.jpg

The game has the visual novel "talking alot" parts and the wizardy like exploration/investigation/searching locations parts.
aOU9vef.jpg

No combat so far, only scripted events.
kRMtvwv.jpg

The characters are very weird and i often dont know whats going on, the plot is very noir/surreal like with alot of twists.
APFHHqx.jpg

This wont end well.
lsQjBbo.jpg

68VV3nC.jpg

HFXqsip.jpg

fyn8Yqt.jpg

eNSjBKF.jpg

I expected to try the game and drop it in 20 minutes, but the game fells like reading a really intense crime-thriller novel. Unfortunatly it also has the same problem as novels, the pace is so slow and it takes around an hour to go through one case. Also the music is remixed by a composer that made music for the Sillent Hill games so its really disturbing in some situations.

yellowcake

Arcane
I'll go with Conan. Venetica is a full-length Gothic-like RPG and my time wouldn't allow it this month.

I thought it was subtitled "The Dark Axe" in the US but according to Wikipedia, it was never released outside of Europe. The Dark Axe was its working title, not its export one.

Z1bzrN.jpg

Bonus point to any non-French speaker who can spot the typo on the front case.

The game is so obscure it doesn't even have a PCGamingWiki page, but thankfully it does have a WSGF page.

The first thing that gets you is DAT OST. Apart from the opening theme, which is the famous Riders of Doom from Basil Poledouris, the entire soundtrack is homemade and it holds up without question, whether it is martial and manly:

...or mindful and adventurous:

The entire OST can be found here. It is excellent through and through, don't miss it.

Visually, the 2004 game shows its age with blocky models and low-res textures, but the visual effects look great, i.e. the weather, magic, wet ice walls, combat feedback lights, etc. The character animations, especially the long list of attack moves, are absolutely superb, varied and lifelike.

The game was made by a Czech company and I'm pretty sure the cutscene designer was Czech as they have the typical Eastern "I'm trying very hard to look cool" feeling, with cascades of random camera pans and useless spins set to glorious music. The cinematography is clumsy and beyond ridiculous, but all things considered it is for the better as it is simply the first clue of a larger game design feature that I will have to explore in more details later.

As a last quick note, the game is no Dark Souls but it still holds no punches: you block or you die.

RGJK1o.jpg

RHtWgX.jpg

gdQQeK.jpg

OE7V1C.jpg

O8aE5S.jpg

TvI0Ls.jpg

ilvzgv.jpg

LtvWlm.jpg

BfRCd6.jpg

PfsG0z.jpg

7ud65p.jpg

ExlIlP.jpg

OlIQc6.jpg

iy3kMb.jpg

Y80hsl.jpg

UCSxXn.jpg

lIC1Uf.jpg

yQEPW5.jpg

qK6W7i.jpg

kIa8jO.jpg

9Gt413.jpg

RGJK1o.jpg

NzvQrC.jpg

XWxUtg.jpg

TrCXKF.jpg

opQS7e.jpg

ajSqjF.jpg

Might try Demon Stone too while you're at it. And Severance BoD. And Drakan game(s) if you like emulators.

I replayed Demon Stone a few months ago, that's a little too soon for another run just yet. A Youtube search tells me your other picks seem very close to Enclave so they will surely be worth a look.

I might give Conan a try, thanks for the tip.

Make sure to give Drakan a go, first one was released for PC too. Here are some of my screen caps:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/screenshot-thread.72409/page-94#post-2534105

Then there's the second Heretic:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/screenshot-thread.72409/page-94#post-2534105

and if you haven't heard about Severance: Bod you're in for a treat. Best action adventure hack and slash ever made. In fact, looking at your pics I'm sure Conan devs knew BoD very well - the transition screens with drawings are straight from it.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein 3d - aka Blade of Agony. The level of effort and work that has been put into this is simply impressive. Had some stuttering during the more opened areas, and the last level has some really platform puzzles which I really didn't liked. Other than that it's great. The shooting is so satisfying that new shooters look very bland in comparison. There are many new enemies that weren't in original Wolf3d, plus many minibosses that can chew us in a seconds if we aren't careful. Rest assured, you will die very quickly if you don't keep attention, Germans know how to fight.

You always start in a camp which is a hub when you can gear up, replenish your health and fool around.Each mission have main and optional objectives (which are mostly about grabbing the ammo/medkits/gold from the chests but not only that). The soundtrack is mostly old tracks from Medal of Honor, RTWC and couple of others. The sounds bank have been upgraded and the soldiers are shouting in Gothe language non stop, keep you focused all the time.

I hope there will be at least a second episode available in the future. Grab a mauser and bring freedom !

Hlrxr1S.jpg

jncfTiL.jpg

Qsqkep3.jpg

Qe9M9fB.jpg

VaPS4be.jpg

qz6RY0k.jpg

WbFtyyj.jpg

GjN7b2C.jpg

sSDtxfZ.jpg

jnPHet2.jpg

dSeUeHA.jpg

XNfCFWW.jpg

Those goofy Scooby Doo eyes on Adolph painting observing you like a hawk.

H9bSwq3.jpg

FKa52TV.jpg

gycFQ85.jpg

suhwkT7.jpg

T2MCBuu.jpg

FkEwkSB.jpg

tSmvZZo.jpg

ws9RJDw.jpg

pTfJxsH.jpg

hhgQz2t.jpg

Freddie

Savant
The Silver Case

So its a remake of a japanese playstation 1, visual novel/adventure game from 1999, with new graphics, music and english translated.
Looks interesting and appears to be available on GOG. Might try this at some point.

Executr

Cipher
Is that a filter or does the text normally look that bad? Also, what game?

It's a filter because I'm playing 2x magnified. Without it looks really bad.

Game is Fossil Fighters Champions for the NDS. Nice little dinosaur game with an interesting combat system. Try the first game as well.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Also the music is remixed by a composer that made music for the Sillent Hill games so its really disturbing in some situations.
I've played the game with the original music settings, but then I was kinda curious about how the remixes sound, and guess what?
The only music remixed by Yamaoka is the opening track, while the remixes are taken directly from the remix releases of The Silver Case (DESTRUCTOR/PARADE).

Try playing with the original music, duh.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Is that a filter or does the text normally look that bad? Also, what game?

It's a filter because I'm playing 2x magnified. Without it looks really bad.

Game is Fossil Fighters Champions for the NDS. Nice little dinosaur game with an interesting combat system. Try the first game as well.
Why don't you just increase internal resolution instead? Besides I doubt it look worse than that vaseline mess.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The joys of the "Berserk" spell. Dragons fight one another while I'm already thinking about the loot. We're talking named artifacts here.
:keepmymoney:

Are you playing with hardware acceleration on? The sprites look much better in software mode.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Are you playing with hardware acceleration on?
Yes, I am. I never thought to try software mode. I did after reading your post but it unfortunately doesn't change much, and the little it does is for the worse since everything is a bit more pixelated. Too bad but it was worse a try. Then again, I'm an old fag from the days of monochrome screeens so the game looks good enough for me anyway.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Howdy Ho That Will Be 20 Dollar image dump
did not played stalka for long time, still waiting for new SGM and Misery, both are far from complete (except Misery but devs are lazy slobs to finish the job) and CoCh is the only exception I made for Stalka, otherwise not touching it with 10m pole with rags under heavy drinking.
Took me around 30h to beat+all achievements. Got to remove one (bugged) to get Completionist one though.
x82R6r9.jpg

ZGFyaZ0.jpg

IpBBH4g.jpg

NwsyJXv.jpg

:what:
y1oZXEy.jpg

hi
8GuGdBY.jpg

haduken!
Q94RWEG.jpg

ghpNAtl.jpg

gXCFCTx.jpg

Wm7uYf4.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom