Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SC2 HOtS.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh damn, you guys werent joking about the campaign being dragon ball. Just finished THAT mission. Good they didnt destroy Namek.

TigerKnee

Arcane
For the campaign, WoL was much better in terms of scope and ideas of gameplay I think. HoTS wasn't fun for me whether in terms of just actual mission gameplay or the strategic upgrades layer compared to WoL.

Plot still dumb in WoL, but it seems like the dumbness is drowned out by all the "sidequest missions" that add nothing to the plot.

HoTS on the other hand, drowns you with constant "important" stupidity 24/7 all the way up to the end.

Gameplay-wise (and what the fuck else are you going to compare SC2 games on?) I thought HotS was better for missions w/ base. M&M was just too boringly overpowered to the point where once you got to 100+ supply you'd won the map.

OK, arguably you'd win in about the last third of HotS as soon as Kerrigan shows up, but the army side certainly had more variety otherwise.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh damn, you guys werent joking about the campaign being dragon ball. Just finished THAT mission. Good they didnt destroy Namek.

Do you mean that mission where Kerrigan screamed at xxx, stop beating up Protos, concentrate on imporatant things?

It's a fuck off awful single player campaign. WoL really was way better, if you can believe that. Heck, Supreme Commander's SP is better.
We should be really happy they didn't get money for a single player campaign in PA.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Do you mean that mission where Kerrigan screamed at xxx, stop beating up Protos, concentrate on imporatant things?

Yea, thats the one where they fought with super x-box laser-psychic beams.

Kraszu

Prophet
What is wrong with CP in Supreme Commande I was about to play it, or is it better to skip it, and just play the add on?

spectre

Arcane
Supreme Commander is a true successor to Total Annihilation in that even its campaigns are sucky.
The main problem (and this applies both to SC and FA) is that the missions drag on forever, leaving you with a persistent base and units throughout the mission, while additional sections of the map are revealed.
There are several problems with that, you either know in advance how the situation develops and build up with impunity,
or you are taken totally by surprise, because a big ass chunk of land with a big ass enemy base appeared out of fucking nowhere just to your right.

Simply put, the campaign gets pretty tedious and boring. Not to mention, the story is nothing special.

Skirmish and Multi is where Supreme Commander really shines, so I'd recommend to play the campaign for the tutorials and just move there.
SC campaign starts out slow, but FA just drops you into the thick of it, so you can start with SC if you need a tutorial.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn, I have the urge to play some SC2 multiplayer like I did with SC1, but I don't have the game. :mad:
Being poor sucks. :P

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What is wrong with CP in Supreme Commande I was about to play it, or is it better to skip it, and just play the add on?
The original campaign is so stupid it burns. FA shows they were forced to build on something that stupid, thus you have second conclusion.
SupCom 2 story is even worse.

spectre

Arcane
Damn, I have the urge to play some SC2 multiplayer like I did with SC1, but I don't have the game. :mad:
Dude, seriously
Just do the potato thing and go for Hamachi.
Although SupCom2 was bad, you might be stuck with skirmish, for what it's worth.

Or scratch that, do the potato thing, see how bad it can be and go back to SupCom1 like a bro.

Goat

Educated
You can try the Starter Edition, which is like a demo. https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/
Terran are the only playable race, though, no ladder, no UMS, it says, that you can play with anyone who has the full game, but I haven't tried it, only played it against AI and other people who have the Starter edition.

I got 3 guest pass keys when I bought SC2, each is for 7 hours playtime or 14 days whichever comes first. I could give you those if you want to.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I was sooooo rooting for the Zerg. Losing when having a hard counter for an opponent's unit/strategies is a pet peeve of mine in Starcraft.

you can always lose in sc2. that's why the game is successful. It's also kind of funny to watch how they navigate themselves into doom, as if they have someone telling them where to go.

Angthoron

Arcane
I was sooooo rooting for the Zerg. Losing when having a hard counter for an opponent's unit/strategies is a pet peeve of mine in Starcraft.
With 25 mutas he could've afforded to split forces into defense/offense if he felt he had to protect his base, that spazzing out was just hilariously bad, so it was really his own fault there.

pan

Learned
While mucking about in bronze league after stat resets I like to try winning by building nothing but probes and cannons. I'll of course get the armour and shield upgrades for my probes. Anyway, the bronze leaguers are so pacifist at the start, and bad at everything else, too, that it's almost possible to win by doing this. Cannons can defend well enough and two hundred 0/3/3 probes can function as a decent field army against,like, 10 marines and a medivac (or whatever bronze leaguers muster). But a problem arises when going in for the kill, which is that it's basically impossible to get probes up the enemy ramp. You have to rely on surrounds to kill anything off, even with vastly superior forces and upgrades, so being forced into the narrow confines of a choke is an assured failure. That is why I can only almost win, but not quite.

Using zealots instead of probes is noob shit. :0/5: decline of bronze league.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You should send him a reply where you actually win as probes and cannons. That would be hilarious to watch.

My hots just got dispatched from amazon.co.uk, got it for only 20 pounds. With luck it's here on friday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom