Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SC2 HOtS.

Man I love the new mech composition, finally I there's viable factory-based compositions.

Pff yeah right every time I try that there's either an all-in coming or I get overwhelmed by superior protoss/zerg macro mechanics. Fuck you early thirding zerg bastards I guess I don't need other units than Marauders, Hellions and SCV's. "repair so op!"

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Not that I'm thinking of buying it, but does this game improve on SC1 in any way at all? So far I've got

-screen resolution
-you can select more units

And everything else is decline. Or what?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Not really Bronze League... But I lol'd at the end. Hard.

For the impatient, fast forward to ~14:45. The amazing doesn't happen until after the base race.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
The storyline: i watched the first cinematic with Kerrigan and Raynor :rage:

After the first cinematic there is a large portion of the game without such crap, just Kerrigan traveling with the bugs, blowing things up. The bad news is that closer to the end levels of derp will return back to unbearable.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just experienced one of the joys of Blizzard's DRM... was derping on a game agains the AI, then my huehue internet connection goes down for 2 minutes, the game is interrupted and when I come back I was KICKED OUT of my game against the AI! And I can't even save or reload! :mad:

jfoVYqL.jpg

(and yes, I was losing a bit)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just experienced one of the joys of Blizzard's DRM... was derping on a game agains the AI, then my huehue internet connection goes down for 2 minutes, the game is interrupted and when I come back I was KICKED OUT of my game against the AI! And I can't even save or reload! :mad:

jfoVYqL.jpg

I'm glad AI has rights. How long do you think AI should wait until you appear in the game yet again? If you have internet problems, play offline.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Just experienced one of the joys of Blizzard's DRM... was derping on a game agains the AI, then my huehue internet connection goes down for 2 minutes, the game is interrupted and when I come back I was KICKED OUT of my game against the AI! And I can't even save or reload!

Did you save the replay? IIRC you can resume games from replays.

The storyline: i watched the first cinematic with Kerrigan and Raynor :rage:

After the first cinematic there is a large portion of the game without such crap, just Kerrigan traveling with the bugs, blowing things up. The bad news is that closer to the end levels of derp will return back to unbearable.

Unfortunately the rest of the game replaced that crap with a slightly different flavor of crap.

Borelli

Arcane
Not that I'm thinking of buying it, but does this game improve on SC1 in any way at all? So far I've got

-screen resolution

-New units and strategies. Not better or worse just different. Game is designed with multiplayer in mind so lots of work is being done on unit balance. Blizzard is trying to avoid SC1 situation where nobody uses units like ghosts,scouts,queens and such so you see a lot of patches, they even sometimes cut whole unit abilities out.
-Better map editor. You can create a new unit in it now.
-Lots of modern features for replays. http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Replay_Features

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

-screen resolution

Pretty much. It currently has better observing features, which is balanced out by the new Battle.net still being worse than the old one. Unit design and core mechanics are inferior. So if you're not bothered by the unit selection limit and having to click factories, there's no reason to play SC2.

So, I've been trying to watch an LP of HOTS. But beside the obvious "holy fuck, ME3 ending was actually awesome" jibe about the HOTS story, I have a better question boggling my mind:
Why didn't they implement the unit "evolution/morph" mechanics in MP? Balance isn't that difficult to maintain, and apart from some kids being butthurt about one race getting more love (actually, wasn't there something similar for Terrans in WOL?), this would really spice up the pretty bland MP games.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Probably because Blizzard is so concerned about SC2 being an esport they're terrified to introduce large changes that might upset balance. From the games I've watched streamed, it seems like Terrans got the most love in HotS too. you see Widow mines everywhere and hellbats ar epretty common too. Conversely, I can count the number of swarmlords and that flying thing I've seen on one hand and even protoss don't always bother with the mothership core or oracles.

Maybe that's because Terran players always had to use unit compositions while Zerg would for the longest time ignored imbastors just because it's easier to hammer the spawn roach button. About Protoss I don't agree, I have seen that motherfucker core every game and lots of Stargate play.

pan

Learned
Blizzard is trying to avoid SC1 situation where nobody uses units like ghosts,scouts,queens and such so you see a lot of patches, they even sometimes cut whole unit abilities out.

This is a fundamental flaw in their design process.

I liked how in brood war I just had to build vultures and tanks and then my opponent would just build zealots and dragoons and then we would battle them together to see who was the better man (a few spell casters were also present). Having my army and my enemies army composed of just two or so basic unit types, with some spell casters mixed in, made the game about microing and positioning those units, with composition only playing a limited role.

In StarCraft 2, with so many units available, the late game battles (once all of the tech is researched) largely come down to unit composition. Micro and positioning, which play a small role already, are even further reduced in relative importance by the unit composition war being waged.

Not only that, but each of those viable units increases the amount of timing attacks possible and makes them more deadly due to the increased likelihood of the defending player being unprepared for any particular one. Go look up the number of timing attacks that Protoss and Terran can do against Zergs, then pick up your jaw off of the floor and kill yourself for having bought this shitty game in the first place.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Im not even playing this game and even still I can see your reasoning to be completely bullshit. More unit types means less micro, really? How about its MORE micro since those units have different abilities, attack timers, speed, range etc etc etc and using them means constant switching between unit types? Its REALLY basic. More units viable = more tactics AND more strategy involved.

Two unit types better than 5, right....

He's right, to an extent.

The fact is that the amount of "micro" a player does is effectively the same no matter their units. If you gave a korean a single marine they would spend 200 APM utilizing them to 99.9% efficiency rather than the mere 95% efficiency a pathetic worm like myself could accomplish.

The problem is that the more units you have the more it comes down to spamming abilities rather than intelligent micro. This forces micro into an active capacity (every time I go in battle I hit Z and click around on enemies as fast as possible) rather than a reactive one (proper unit positioning/management/kiting/etc). Unlimited unit selection also plays a role in this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom