Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SC2 HOtS.

Not only is the story the worst Blizzard have done to date; but the charactes themselves, which are usually the best part, are just so depressingly badly done. Sure, the plot has no pacing, meanders pointlessly, and is full of plenty of points where you just go
:retarded:

But the characters man!

All the voice actors - apart from the one who did Mira Han, the only one who actually seemed to enjoy doing their lines, which is about all you can say for such a flat character - seem like they're contemplating suicide. Half the cast are sycophants with a single personality point and the rest are pale shadows of what they were before, replacing established characteristics with derp. Kerrigan herself is just terrible - both in actions (retarded), word (soulless) and likability (bitch). The "Bioware" feel is extremely strong in the dialogue.

I don't understand why over-the-top characters and voicing fell out of fashion. It was so much better than laughable attempts at being grimdark - even in a dark story. Go to any theatre, watch any drama or pantomime, and you'll see why over-acting is preferable to under-acting. The entertainment just ain't there.

Ah well. At least there's multiplayer - get that retarded RPG shit and story out my RTS

r00fles! :M

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
For e-sports players, it can be something analogous to what Tiger Woods would have to deal with if the PGA suddenly decided that all the fairways on their golf courses were too long. Golfers who had gained an advantage in the past by having a long drive would lose that edge, and players with great putting and chipping skills would gain the upper hand.
That would likely never happen in golf, but for pro gamers it happens all the time. The courses they play on do change, and they’ll have to learn to use new types of clubs. Not everyone will be able to adapt.

I see Wired has no clue how golf, or lots of other sports (especially material sports) works...

kris

Arcane
Normally I would say that I don't care about story in a strategy game, in fact i would rather there was no story at all. But here comes the main problem. After three missions it has been like 80% story. They just talk and talk and explain, why in heavens name do they explain the use of Zerg units that 99% of all HOTS players have already played?

Brood war and expansion was good because 90% of the missions wasn't about showing/explaining the use of another unit. Now we got an expansion were seemingly that will happen.
"Hi guys, in this mission you will only be attacked by air, try use the Hydralisk"

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah. IIRC original Zerg wer larvae or something. Living on an volcanic planet. I'd have to find the SC1 manual to be sure about the latter part though. RETCOOOOON!

Also, they were engineered by the Xel'Naga, pretty sure. So this whole "ANCIENT NOBLE ZERG" thing is hilariously bad. Ancient noble test tube creatures!

Heresiarch

Prophet
So even though HotS hasn't been touched by Jay "Fuck That Loser" Wilson yet, it still suffered from story raep?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So even though HotS hasn't been touched by Jay "Fuck That Loser" Wilson yet, it still suffered from story raep?

Well it isn't that SC2: WoL story was any good. It was equally (if not more) pathetic.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, WoL just benefitted from not being about anything important. Hard to fuck things up when the majority of the campaign is either sitting in a bar drinking, or telling other terrans that Mengsk might possibly not be a Cool Dude (TM).

Keshik

Arcane
Yeah, WoL just benefitted from not being about anything important. Hard to fuck things up when the majority of the campaign is either sitting in a bar drinking, or telling other terrans that Mengsk might possibly not be a Cool Dude (TM).

And longing for a psychopathic killer woman. I guess them being lovey-lovey was in the books or something ?

Zeriel

Arcane

And longing for a psychopathic killer woman. I guess them being lovey-lovey was in the books or something ?

I thought there were some overtones of it in the original. But, come on, Raynor and every other Terran is basically a convict. Of course he's going to want to bone the first piece of fine ass that comes along. The whole romantic angle, though, isn't exactly fitting the Redneck Retro vibe they had going for the Terrans in the original.

Why do the make human male characters incredibly muscular? Like on a huge cocktail of steroids? Do they genetically engineer human ubermensch, like in W40K? o_O

Keshik

Arcane
Why do the make human male characters incredibly muscular? Like on a huge cocktail of steroids? Do they genetically engineer human ubermensch, like in W40K? o_O

Probably roids, they're just convicts or social rejects if I recall (at least the marines are). Horner doesn't seem that jacked like Tychus or Raynor though.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Kinda wonder why are you playing that version with pathfinding problems when there is this:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/8236743/Starcraft_II___Mass_Recall

Actually if it's the same as WC3, it doesn't have pathfinding problems. A single unit can get from point A to B always. The problems are called it didn't even bothered with thinking about switching (or replacement problem), but at least when players are competent it don't go in a way of anything.

So I downloaded this and gave it a spin. 4 missions into the terran campaign so far. It's a pretty good adaptation. Only glitches so far has been the lack of "talking" animations on the portraits in briefings and a few zergs showing up as spheres with a checkerboard texture. You only need the 2 english installers, so the torrent is ~700mb

kris

Arcane

Because they think it is "cool". That is seemingly also the reason for many of the cinematics.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Same reason why Raynor now is one of the countless brownhaired heros of dudebro gaming, and not a :obviously:bald men anymore...

Seriously that look he had in SC1 was great, you would be a faceless commander derping around, then a bald, older guy having a mid-life crysis would come and tag along to try and revive his rebel dreams of youth, being easily used by Menkgs... now he is just a random cliched "badass that has a dark past"... meh.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
They'll retcon that into Kerrigan not really killing him, but sending him to another dimension, and bringing him back so he can be the best-man at Kerrigan/Raynor wedding...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Boring. What actually happen is that Fenix conspired with Kerrigan to fake his own death so that he could fight the Xel'Naga in secret, because he was in fact the last in the line of original Protoss.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really liked Star Craft and thought it was competently written.
Star Craft 2's story was ... an insult to good writing practice. I don't know what they were thinking. As much as I thought the mission design was creative and varied, you can, in fact, ruin a game with horrible writing. Blizzard really lost whatever ounce of writing competence they may have once had in the last couple of years.

Psquit

Arcane
And longing for a psychopathic killer woman.
Why not? There is nothing wrong with a killer woman that keeps killing outside of family.

There's one... tiny... problem:

Ancient zerglin reveals that there was a dark influence aka the dark one(Amon) in her being, so when jim cleanse her zerg stuff also delete that bad part.

So this whole "ANCIENT NOBLE ZERG" thing is hilariously bad. Ancient noble test tube creatures!

noble?, they are a bunch of apes that kill each other to consume their essence even fucking ancient zergling try to kill mah whore.

Psquit

Arcane
back then it took 5000000 minerals to create a Zergling
QAs81Hn.jpg

Boss fight!!! (more interesting that collect minerals in a volcano)
0lYg9z0.jpg

You cant trust ancient giant zergling, fucker.
also belial boss style.

8K6noRv.jpg

Dayum! stukov!, next time use condoms... those broodmothers carry a lot of zerg aids
AT6Xhwl.jpg

Yep...

r5W3HL8.jpg

must see how this ends...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom