Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ruzar - The Life Stone (Dungeon Crawler RPG)

hammerglassstudio

Hammer Glass Studio
Developer
EDIT: Steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/366510/

========

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if that is the right forum to post our work. But please apologize in advance and feel free to move it to the correct forum! At the end of the post, you can find two videos of the work that has been done so far.
If you like the project, please help me on Steam GreenLight: Ruzar - The Life Stone!

Below is a small summary of the game's features:

Ruzar - The Life Stone is a dungeon crawler RPG game in which you play an adventurer who needs to discover the powerful Life Stone. Do you have the skills to survive in the deadliest dungeons of the Mountain of Ruz and recover the legendary artefact?

The player:
  • He has the ability to level up his character to the level 50.
  • When the player completes the first play through (around lvl 20+) he can restart his game and encounter stronger enemies and better loot (similar to NG+ in Dark Soul).
  • When you level up, you gain points you can spend in your stats.
  • Each stat provides bonus that is directly link to the play style the player chooses (Magic, Melee, Range).

Skill system:
  • When you reach the level 10 (for now) you can start spending skill points. These points can be spent between 3 trees. Each tree contains 13 different and unique skills that are linked to the play style I talked about above.
  • Each skill can allow up to 3 upgrades and you can, if you want, spend your points in all three trees.

The spell system:
  • You don't use glyphs. Instead you find books in the dungeons you can learn and then use.
  • You intelligence level allows you to memorize [x] amount of spells or dispel them (a bit like D&D or Dark Soul) when you are close to a binding stone.
  • There are 50+ spells available in the game.

Economy:
  • You have the possibilities to buy or sell your loot to the merchant in the mountains.
  • You can buy or sell potions, weapons, armor, shields, spell book and consumables.

Quest system:
  • Quest rewards with quest logs.
  • You need to find "entity" that will ask you to grant them a wish so they can return to their home. In exchange of this service they will reward you with item and/or experience.

Storage Chamber:
  • There is also a Storage system that allows the player to store his items if he has too many.

Binding Points:
  • When the player finds a binding stone he can bind to it.
  • Like other games, the player can bind himself here in case of emergency (a spell allows the player to quickly return to the binding stone).
  • If the player finds other binding stone, he can travel quickly from one stone to another one.

Fire Camp:
  • When the player discovers a new fire camp he has the option to lit it using a torch. When the fire camp is lit, the player regains health and mana.

Creatures:
  • The player has the ability to grind the creatures in the dungeons as they will reappear after a certain amount of time. The player will be able to prevent the creatures from reappearing but he needs to find how.

Environment:
  • There will be 5 different themes and around 15+ levels.
Videos:

Thanks for your feedback and comments!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Game: Ruzar - The Life Stone
Follow us on Twitter - Like us on FaceBook
Web Site: Hammer Glass Studio
Vote on Steam GreenLight: Ruzar - The Life Stone

Last edited by a moderator:

Aenra

Will definitely give it a shot when you're done. Wish you luck!

u5YIjWq.jpg

edit: Whenever possible, could you elaborate a bit further on magic and related systems?

hammerglassstudio

Hammer Glass Studio
Developer
Hi and thanks for your vote :) It's hard as an Indie dev to make your way on Steam Greenlight, there are a lot of games (good and sometimes not so good) and your game can quickly be lost in the mass.
On top of that, I the dungeon crawler genre is not for all the gamers :)

So for the Magic.
Basically here is how it works:
  • You start the game without any spells (for now).
  • You find books that contain powerful spell in the dungeons. You can learn the new spell by reading it.
  • Once you read it, it's added to your spell list (you can see it in the video).
  • Each spell has a level requirement that corresponds to the player's level. When the player reaches the same level, he can use it.
  • Player's intelligence stat increases his capacity to memorize multiple spells. So if you want to focus on the magic part of the game you need to increase your intelligence stat.
  • There is a full skill tree that is focused on the Mage aspect. So by adding points to the oriented mage skill tree, you also increase you capacity to perform well (bonuses, etc.).
  • To memorize or dispel a spell, you need to stand by a Binding Stone (you can find the binding stone in the video). If you are not close to it, you won't be able to change your composition.
    • This is similar to Dark Soul and the Bone Fire. At the Bone Fire you can change your spells, etc.
  • At the merchant location you also have the option to buy books. But they are expensive and require the player to collect money (find loot, sell equipment or grind creatures in the dungeons).
  • When you use a spell, you loose mana. When you run out of mana, you can't use spells. But you have different potions you can use to regain your mana.
  • When lit, standing at the camp fire allows the player to regain his health and mana (The player needs to have a torch in order to light the fire camp).
Does it answer your question on magic?

Good reading :)

Aenra

hammerglassstudio
Thanks for replying; while it is still way too early, i cannot help but focus on two (not so) little bits:

- "You start the game without any spells (for now)"
Why..? And more importantly, for how long? While yes, i could name you each and every one of the RPGs were that was the case, may i also remind you how the vast majority of them failed to do it properly?

- You mention Int as a measure of spell learning potential, but you did not relate it, at least directly, to the mana/resource pool. Was it intentional, or just an oversight? If intentional, does that mean mana is fixed?

hammerglassstudio

Hammer Glass Studio
Developer
What I can say about the spells, is that you get your first spell within the 1st hour.
I want to make sure you don't spend too much time looking for spells to get your first one, as if you choose to follow this path, it shouldn't be hard at the beginning.
The reason why I was saying "for now" is that I am still thinking I might give one or two spells when you start the game.

I know it's hard to believe it right now, but the system should be flexible enough so you can be a fighter and a mage at the same time.
You just need to compromise some stats for others if you want to play two styles at the same time.

Mana increases with your spirit stat which does increase you mana pool as you add points to it.
You also get natural points to your mana and health as you level up. A bit like D&D, when you create your character, the based bonus for health and mana is improved.
So starting a character with 18 in spirit will grant you more points / level than a 12 in your spirit.

Does it make sense? :)

hammerglassstudio

Hammer Glass Studio
Developer
I kept thinking that if this were a turn-based game, I would be really excited to play it.
Unfortunately, this is not the direction I headed for that game. I was not a big fan of turn-based game. I don't think there are a lot of turn-based game like these dungeon crawler, no?

Thanks for the clarifications man, sure you got better things to do
no worries :), Actually if you have other questions please ask. If I answer, it means I have some time in front of me. The project is in a good shape, I jut hope for Greenlight, which seems to be more complicated as I don't have a lot of coverage.

Anyway, do not hesitate to express your opinion. We don't always have the same ideas, but we can discuss them at least.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I kept thinking that if this were a turn-based game, I would be really excited to play it.
Unfortunately, this is not the direction I headed for that game. I was not a big fan of turn-based game. I don't think there are a lot of turn-based game like these dungeon crawler, no?

That's kind of my point. Right now it looks like the kind of game everyone else has already done. Being turn-based might have set it apart in a unique way.

hammerglassstudio

Hammer Glass Studio
Developer
Just to let you know guys that we have been greenlit! :)
We wanted to thank you for your support!

This is really exciting for us, and we will now prepare the game for Steam Early Access.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Aenra

Found this on YouTube, good enough for some first impressions and thoughts. The lack of any hit animations stands out for me. Numbers pop up, but it all looks disjointed. Notice his fight with the skellies, most prominent there (at 5:12 he gets hit and barring the sound, you wouldn't even know it).

Anyone that's given this a shot since it got on Steam?

Durwyn

Prophet
Found this on YouTube, good enough for some first impressions and thoughts. The lack of any hit animations stands out for me. Numbers pop up, but it all looks disjointed. Notice his fight with the skellies, most prominent there (at 5:12 he gets hit and barring the sound, you wouldn't even know it).

Anyone that's given this a shot since it got on Steam?

I can see the hit animation, there is some blood splat and a slight shudders, which would be expected of something made purely out of bones. You're either blind or dumb, sorry.

Everything seems right about the presentation, it looks sleek and appealing, to be honest.

Aenra

The hits occur prior to the splatter you describe, which is why i used the word "disjointed". Or, to make you more happy, so it appears to me. The only signifier, of a simultaneous timing to the hits received, appears to me to be the sound. Again, as mentioned. At the end of 5:11 (just the milisecond before we hit 5:12) you can notice his character retreating; While he is going backwards, a sound is heard. The sound of his having get hit by the undead. And that is it. Hence why, again as mentioned i said, did i mention as mentioned? that "barring the sound", i wouldn't have known it. Even a whole fucking second later? That 7 you see? That's the PC hitting the undead. A different action. Occuring afterwards. Watch it again, not even an HP indicator up left when he's hit. Nada.

Not here to split hairs, if you love what you're seeing, am happy for you. I only mentioned something that stands out to me. Just that. It stands out. And i can do all that without calling you dumb. Even though who knows, i might had been on to something if i would have :)

p.s. not sure what you define as "presentation", even if we include the person making the video (he's not a dev), but yes, i too like what i'm seeing. Hence the interest in the first place.

Durwyn

Prophet

Aenra

:necro:

Apparently the game is (almost) really close to launching:

Dev Update #7
24 November - Hammer Glass Studio
Here are some good news: Our game is almost done!

A new build (v0.83) will be available for all Os in the next few days and will contain the following:

List:

• The story (storyboard style cinematic - intro and outro) for the game has been added.
  • The boss fight has been integrated to the game.
  • Snow can be disabled in the main menu.
  • You can invert the Y axis for the free camera in the main menu.
  • The progression has been tweaked for the first walkthrough.
  • NG+ difficulties have been tweaked.
  • The quests are finally in.
  • The last theme (the caves) is now available.
  • One new creature is available in the Caves.
  • A lot of bugs have been fixed.
  • Creatures drop (bags) have been changed for something more appropriate :)

Unfortunately, we will need to reset the save games. Changes have been made in the save format and the previous versions won't be compatible.

We hope you enjoy the new version.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/366510/announcements/detail/115202240535262697

I think i read somewhere that it will be lacking the Grimrock dancing marathons, but i might be confusing it with Fall of the Guardians or whatever the fuck its name is. If anyone has some knowledge on this, do share? A short googleing hasn't helped and i can't be arsed to do more in all honesty :M

J1M

Arcane
Dancing backwards is actually the dictionary definition of epic combat.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I am playing it, pretty nice game.

More on Grimrock 1 side (dancing in combat), but exploration is fun. Many secrets, spells, items. Character progression system is also fun.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Looks nice.
The game is released, someone should move the thread to CRPG dicussion.

What the guys before me said; a couple of hours in this looks pretty fun (provided you're into the DM-style crawler subgenre, of course). I'd say it's at least worth a brief news post -- wouldn't have noticed it at all if it wasn't for the Codex thread. (Infinitron ?)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That beginning section above-ground makes me feel like I'm getting a glaucoma

Also not a fan of automaps filling in spaces I haven't stepped on

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Getting to boss soon and starting NG+. Will port opinions here.

So far, november-december are pretty good with CRPGs: Fall of Dungeon guardians, Ruzar the life stone, waiting for Dungeon Kingdom.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
steam was smart enough to match this one wis may derp pattern and recommend it to me.

looked ok at the first glance but holy smokes, where do all those dungeon crawlers come from lately?
is this all the Grimrock hype?

and more importantly why the fuck doesnt anyone make a turn based Wizardry Clone instead, dammit.

(no offense to the game designer...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom