Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs that are unanimously praised by people of refined taste that you never could finish.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Paul did warn me about NSF Heavy mech up front - so I took the GEP gun...but...I decided to just shoot whoever I need shooting and go through the back. Iron and Copper didn't provide much of a clue, but at least a girl sold me a 10mm clip there for 175. Climbed the boxes at the back. Saw path to ground floor - supposedly where Gunther is supposed to be - but nah..I decided I could do this solo.

Climbed up - triggered a gas mine - ran out as the NSF dudes went ' I think I saw a dude with trench coat around somewhere.' Hah. Pop out of cover and capped his head. Went upstairs, two NSF dudes facing away from me, I used a defused gas grenade - to very little effect - almost got me killed too. End the mission with 4 bullets left on the clip. :P I'll give New York a retry tonight. but that flame thrower dude...dayum.

There's like a billion different ways to do that level. It's a shame you didn't go with the mini crossbow since - as far as I recall - it's gonna be a long while before you get another chance to pick one up and it's a handy, silent weapon. Also, the GEP gun takes up a fuckload of inventory space + ammo is rare and expensive. Not saving Gunther means a forced fight a little later on. Basically your BRO is a pansy-ass faggot who doesn't want you killing bad guys for reasons that will eventually become evident. Navarre and Gunther are tru bros who know the only appropriate response to terrorist scum is overwhelming firepower. (And 'skul-guns' in gunthers case).

Obligatory Desu Ex

desu-ex.png

DraQ

Arcane
Better not to have stats than pretend to be a half-assed shooter RPG.
I cannot into this kind of RPG. Yes.
I'm the bringer of decline.

PS: fuck you, too.
So humour me, what's the difference between character failing to hit exactly what you aim at with crosshair and character failing to hit exactly what you point at with the cursor?

Apart from the former allowing more precision in indicating what you want to be hit.

(Also, you *do* play on realistic, right?)

There's like a billion different ways to do that level. It's a shame you didn't go with the mini crossbow since - as far as I recall - it's gonna be a long while before you get another chance to pick one up and it's a handy, silent weapon. Also, the GEP gun takes up a fuckload of inventory space + ammo is rare and expensive.
Actually GEP is the best pick unless you just don't feel like lugging it around. Both sniper rifle and mini-crossbow can be found on LI.

It also doubles as incredibly loud and unsubtle lockpick and you don't really need heavy weapons training to use it effectively unlike other heavy weapons.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
So humour me, what's the difference between character failing to hit exactly what you aim at with crosshair and character failing to hit exactly what you point at with the cursor?
(Also, you *do* play on realistic, right?)

Realistic? Nope. I just want a quick thrill and revisit (See if I can finish it. Ever). Seeing how the aim works reminds me why I hate it so much. Advanced Pistol skill and I took 2 full second just to get a bead on the guy. If the guy drops out of sight - I have to wait for it to recenter again. That's bad. This is a pistol. Not an assault rifle, I didn't run, I moved slow. Crouched. Nothing, it makes no difference whether JC moved in quick or slow. It seems like he needs to give himself a few second of aim time just to zero in his target and if he ever *MOVED* an inch, the aim is ruined. This is the smallest gun you can wield, JC - is that the best you can do?

We're too hung up on this 'RPG = Stats allocation' mantra = Good. Deus Ex didn't need this. Mass Effect didn't need it either.
A guy who's bad at FPS would be doubly disheartened by how this aim stabilizer = character skill works. Would he even pick weapon skills? Possibly basic training and others on hacking or stuff that avoids combat - but as you can see, even the Advanced training still left me unsatisfied. I understand it's part of the 'Skill = Stat' that qualifies DE as RPG, but take away those stats and make JC an elite agent with purchasable mods to improve run speed, hacking and such would it suffer? I don't think so. It would make it a far better game than what I'm playing now IMO.

laclongquan

Arcane
I will make it clear: I dont find elf pointed ear hot. Nope. It's so so. If it goes with a hot package, then she's a hot gal. If not, then not. who the fuck care about pointed ear or pointed eyes

Yeah, Merril is so-so. You want her, you can have her ALL.

When I say hot chick, I mean hot chick. Not ELF chick.

RK47

Patron
OK fuck me, the laser dot sight is a gameplay saver. I can finally play properly nao. Just banged my way to the ambrosia.

Kahlis

Cipher
OK fuck me, the laser dot sight is a gameplay saver. I can finally play properly nao. Just banged my way to the ambrosia
When playing as a rifle-based character, I'd always attach a laser sight mod to the sniper rifle as soon as possible. No need for zooming when it functions like a railgun.

Renegen

Arcane
In the beginning of Deus Ex, JC Denton is terrible at combat. He's new. There's no need to be overly critical of an RPG that tries to have a storyline arc and makes you weak on purpose in the beginning. In a way, that encourages you to sneak around. Deus Ex is not the best game ever because it has the best shooting mechanics and the best AI, but because it has the best integration of story and gameplay. It's sort of what makes it artistic too, the feelings of being weak and ignorant at the start are contrasted to the feelings of being all powerful and all-knowing at the end. It's the experience that counts.

And that also means metagaming takes the fun out of it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nonsense. Metagaming is the best: climbing shangai towers to meet the triad? bomb climbing :eek:? 'Hall of mirrors'?

The best i can recall was one guy meeting the chinese woman with style: he was at the opposite building, jumped with the legs, shot the glass on the way down and started the conversation after jumping through the glass. Completely crazy route.

Renegen

Arcane
True, how else would 7 replays be interesting without metagaming, but the first is special.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
We're too hung up on this 'RPG = Stats allocation' mantra = Good. Deus Ex didn't need this. Mass Effect didn't need it either.
You know DX isn't RPG. You can alocate training points, but even strategy games have stats FPS can have implied stats, or explicit stats which of course will not change them into RPG.
RPG is game without thrill, rapid actions, and it has incredible amount of texts.

RK47

Patron
RPG is game without thrill, ????
rapid actions, See: Action Rpg.
and it has incredible amount of texts. :lol:

Not every RPG is
tormentuuu.png

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That was extremely sad hiding in a hole and taking advantage of the poor retarded AI.
also:
fuck yeah slavery
:lol:

RK47

Patron
I see no other way since that was my preferred choice of entry. They could cook me inside with a flamer if they're quick enough..but the gas grenade did them good. :smug:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
There are vents in the ceiling too, it's funnier like that.

I also popped some moles using the tranq crossbow, on realistic DX has a habit of head shooting you if you pop your mole.
That scenario could have been made better by needing to disable to traps or evacuating the hostages somehow, it's simply retarded to pop moles one at a time while the NSF dudes not doing anything.

Twinkle
DesuEx.jpg

RK47

Patron
It was my second run anyway, the first yeah, the flamer got me again. Is a flamer auto kill or something? I used like 3 med packs and I still die to a flamer. Wtf?
Let's hope the next segment is more interesting.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Playing on realistic? Btw, there are small little touches even on the weakest DX parts (and the areas are so big it really needs it). If i'm not mistaken that part is the first where you can start to rob bank accounts (including a poor guy that you're constantly robbing thorough the game if you choose to do so)

RK47

Patron
No. Normal. I took fire dmg...set abalaze. Check my chest damage at 40...pop a medkit...and it still on fire...pop another..till JC just dies.

RK47

Patron
OK fuck me, the laser dot sight is a gameplay saver. I can finally play properly nao. Just banged my way to the ambrosia
When playing as a rifle-based character, I'd always attach a laser sight mod to the sniper rifle as soon as possible. No need for zooming when it functions like a railgun.

Do I still need to have rifle skill or is the laser sight enough?

RK47

Patron
Should I pick up a fire extinguisher then?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom