Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: The Age of Decadence

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Dec 7, 2015.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower Studios

Rejoice my brothers and sisters for in these desperate times darkened by the taint of FO4 the time has come for us to review Irontower Studio's The Age of Decadence. As usual, our review is superior to those of lesser sites like Gamebanshee or RPGWatch, but how neutral-positive will it be? Was that hipster Darth Roxor masochist enough to extract enjoyment out of the game?

[​IMG]

Have this excerpt...

If there is one element of AoD that has greatly exceeded my expectations and, in fact, amazed me, it’s definitely the combat. Before playing it, I was absolutely certain that single-character turn-based combat that wouldn’t be very basic, very terrible or very random was unattainable. I figured that AoD’s “brutal, hard and unforgiving” combat system would simply boil down to praying for crits to go your way, similarly to Fallout & Friends. I was so wrong, I don’t even know where to begin.

For starters, it is amazing just how many tools AoD gives you to handle every situation and tip it in your favour. A typical combat encounter has you heavily outnumbered, with the odds usually being 3:1, but sometimes even putting you alone against ten opponents, many of them using all kinds of dirty tricks. Fights often look downright hopeless, but assessing your situation and adapting to it properly will easily take you to victory. There were many moments where I found myself thinking “that’s it, I can’t beat those gits”. But then I’d take a deep breath, analyse what was going on and what I was missing, and come up with the solution. “A-ha! If I switch to a different weapon, throw grenades all around, cripple that dude and smack the hell out of another one in the first two turns, I should hold out till the end since the rest of them are scrubs”. This is exactly what combat in AoD is all about. Analysis, preparation and planning.​

...and then proceed to read the entire piece here.

• Brofist Brofist x 54
    ^ Top  
  2. Archibald Arcane

Archibald
    Parrots:
    Is it better or worse than Dungeon Siege 3?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Dungeon Siege 3 has more big-titted babes, so it is only natural that it wins.

• Brofist Brofist x 51
    ^ Top  
  4. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    TLDR:"-it is good for what it is as the only one of its kind." Fin.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. veevoir Klytus, I'm bored Patron

veevoir
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    Not written by Vault Dweller :0/5:

What a wasted occasion to properly trash this game!

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  6. likaq Arcane

likaq
    Parrots:
    Retarded combatfag detected.

Review should end with:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  7. EG Nullified

EG
    Parrots:
    If only it could have been Fallout. :)

^ Top  
  8. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    the church of aod is ever vigilant, its armour is contempt, its shield is disgust and its sword is hatred

• Brofist Brofist x 25
    ^ Top  
  9. Gobblecock Arcane Edgy

Gobblecock
    Parrots:

The jester of RPGCodex reviewers is ever droll and inflammatory, his motley cap is coloured red for gratituitous blood-letting, and yellow for shitting on things.

:shunthenonbeliever:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Setting is much Roman... Eastern Roman known as ''Byzantine'' by westerners; although I do agree the game would be far more :obviously: and post apocaliptic if the soldiers would wear laminar armors instead of segmentatas, carry spathas, spoke Greek and fought Kebabs instead of not Mongols but it would be even less selling then as for plebs only Romans are I/II CE AD Romans. Good review otherwise if not as fun to read as other ones did by Komrade Roxorowitch or VD himself.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  11. Cazzeris Formerly Andross

Cazzeris
    Parrots:
    Good review, overall. Ultimately, everything that is praised and criticized here seems reasonable :greatjob:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Uh...

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  13. SniperHF Prophet

SniperHF
    Parrots:
    Substantially less TROLOLOLOLOL than was billed, 0/10 :M

Pretty fair review.

Some points though:

Obviously as someone who isn't a fan of the non-combat side of the game you probably wouldn't have run into this, but there are many people who think those builds lack for cash.

I dunno, I don't think it's outright bad. There were many instances where for example I'd be surrounded and so weakened with arm attacks that I couldn't fightback anymore. What actually annoyed me most about the AI was the obvious trap combats later in the game where the AI gets the first move (despite you initiating the fight via dialog). Or more annoyingly when they ALWAYS net you round 1 like the Armor recovery fight. But say the Teron fight with the Raiders the leader will make a decision to net you or not based on the situation. I'm sure there's something going on under the hood with the later fights but the high degree of chance where they always do the same thing is a problem.

You know what Nets and Bolas remind me most of though? Grenades and Rockets in WL2. Basically freebie equalizers.

Pretty much agree with that one. Maybe some extra opportunities to get in with other guilds could have improved the situation.

I don't think trap build is quite the right way to put it. The game relies heavily on feedback and the problem is many of the skills don't offer any. The infamous thief that doesn't need lockpick for 2 chapters until LOL the final faction quest screws you over. But all the feedback of lockpick up to that point is that it's basically optional and provides extra side bonuses like extra money or a few SP here or there.

Yes, great segment. Probably worth mentioning that it takes place in Ganezzar which is criticized for being underdeveloped in a lot of other ways. There are some gems in there too just less.

Yeah that's a puzzler, though it's not nearly as much of a problem for melee as you can easily win pretty good gear. Usually crafted stuff is still better but the gear you can win is pretty decent in Maadoran.

Made that same point a few times. Still there's some presence like certain armors and the Aurellian faction.

Except retards apparently but YMMV :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  14. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It was typo but in retrospective Its +M too mellow and positive neutral to be Roxor penned Komrade Jewriej; its like shock and horror the game was actually Good or something.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    Actually more neutral-positive than I thought it'd be after reading Roxor's comments in the AoD threads. Good to read a thorough review after most of the AoD reviews I've seen, where the reviewer struggled to win a single battle or played through once as a merchant.

Review: :4/5:
    Butthurt megathread potential: :1/5: Milder tone than expected, and sadly the AoD militia has fewer members and more restricted options in combat than Sawyer's Dragoons.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Darth Roxor, would you say that the game's combat is what tipped the scales in favor of a positive verdict, and that otherwise this would have been an angrier review?

^ Top  
  17. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    What's the problem, lecuck? Is a review acceptable only if it praises your favorite game?
    FFS, this review is far from being as hard on the game as it deserves and fanbots will still be butthurt because it's not just praise and only praise.

^ Top  
  18. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    We have a saying in potato - if grandma had moustache, she'd be called grandpa. I'd rather not deal with what ifs.

• Brofist Brofist x 17
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Well, I ask because you had a negative opinion about the game's demo (including the combat), so basically I'm curious what exactly changed your mind in the final game.

^ Top  
  20. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Parrots:
    :3/5: review

Needlessly long and most of the time reviewer starts to talk more about himself his personal preference not the game.
    Also some bullshit is there as well like in case of 3 non affiliated starting points.

Sure they are similar but they play entirely different.

Loremaster almost completely can ignore affiliations to houses and follow secrets of ancients.
    Drifter IS blank state character which can "drift" between various factions
    Grifter is your snakeoil salesman using people (even if he himself isn't in position do to so) cheating any lying.

They all are starting points for ROLEPLAYING and is for me far more important than most of the stuff in game.
    Overall though it is fair review. Just way too long.

Show Spoiler
    ban roxor

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  21. One-and-a-half-Ivan Erudite

One-and-a-half-Ivan
    Parrots:
    This review is pretty bipolar.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  22. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Well written review.

Nice to see praise for the combat path. I really enjoyed my combat playthrough.

^ Top  
  23. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Good review, enjoyable read.

Haven't played much of the game but I will probably give it more of a crack in the future. Combat does have a very big strategical lean (and a very small tactical lean) which makes it a bit less enjoyable for me than some of the other more recent TB combat systems.

:lol:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Black_Willow Arcane

Black_Willow
    Parrots:
    Reviewus Roxorum postus est.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  25. Namutree Learned

Namutree
    Parrots:
    That was a more positive review than I expected.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)